Chapter 4~ Babysitting

{Daryl's P.O.V}

It's not often that I get to sneak in a nap, especially with things how they are now. But here I am sleeping- lies, Sylvie just woke me up.

"What?" I mumble sleepily, pulling the pillow over my head.

"I want to bathe but I need someone to watch Athena. Can you?" She asks me. I sigh and get out of bed, clearly there's no getting out of this one.

What was I gonna do? Say no to her, with those big beautiful blue eyes? Didn't think so.

"I guess. Where is she?" I agree. She smiles gratefully then guides me out to where her daughter is. She's sitting by herself in the dirt, playing with her stuffed dog and some rocks.

"Alright. Have fun." I mutter sarcastically, walking over to the little girl.

"Whatcha' doin' kid?" I ask her, trying to strike up a conversation.

"Playing with rocks... and Scoobina!" She giggles and holds up her cupcake patterned, stuffed dog.

"Scoobina?" I say with a tad bit of distaste for the name.

"Yeah, the girly Scooby Doo!" She explains.

"Alright... I guess I like it. Why the rocks?" She goes quiet then looks up at me with tear filled, blue eyes.

"Because I don't have Scoobina's friends... They're gone." She sniffles, but trying to hide it.

Suddenly an idea pops into my head, so I head to the tent to grab the crayons that Sylvie brought, and some paper. I bring it back to Athena and kneel down next to her.

"Here, draw her friends." I tell her.

"Okay!" She instantly cheers up and grabs the items from me. She starts running to the picnic table but trips over a piece of firewood.

She slides across the dirt and bumps her knee, I watch her lip quiver before she starts to cry. I sigh and hurry over to her, at the same time as Lori.

"I got er'." I grumble, picking her up and taking her over to our tent.

I set her down and rummage around for Sylvie's first aid kit, which isn't too hard to find. I take the necessary tools to fix the "boo boo", which is just some peroxide and a band-aid.

"This might sting." I warn her before cleaning up her knees and elbows. She's a trooper, I'll give her that. She doesn't cry but she does sniffle.

"Now ye' gotta get up and show em' all how tough ye' are." I try to pep talk, but she just bumps out her bottom lip and throws her arms around my neck. I hesitantly wrap my arms around her and pick her up.

I take her over to the fire pit and sit in one of the chairs, she rests her head on my chest. Pretty soon she gets heavy and I can hear her soft little breaths. I let her rest, but it's not for long because Sylvie is just getting back from her bath.

When she sees Athena sleeping she smiles and doesn't bother to wake her up, instead she pulls a chair up beside me and watches her daughter. She squeezes one of my hands, and she just leaves it there, which of course sends my heart into a storm of butterflies or some shit like that. I ain't one for feelings, I hardly know what they are.

"So, this redneck is taking my place as her dad now?" A familiar voice says, clearly jealous.

Sylvie lets go of my hand and grabs Shane's shirt, pushing him away from us. I watch her take him over out of earshot but she appears to be giving him shit.

"Awe' look at ya'! Big ole' softy!" Merle laughs. I give him a death glare, I swear if he wakes this kid up or causes trouble I'll kick his ass.

"Daryl I'm so sorry about that. He doesn't quite understand that he doesn't get to just jump back into her life if he's gonna treat everyone else like shit." She apologizes to me, stress written across her face.

"It's alrigh'. Ye' just need to worry bout' yer' daughter. Let us deal with him." I tell her, trying to be quiet. Too late.

"Where's mommy?" Athena asks tiredly.

"Mommy's right here. Did you get some boo boos sweetie?" Sylvie says, forcing the enthusiasm.

"Yeah, but Daryl made them all better!" Athena says happily. She gives me a hug then climbs down and up into her mother's arms.

"What do you say to Daryl?" She prompts her.

"Thank you!" She says. I nod and get up, I'll let them have time together.

It's time for me to have a cigarette and get my tough act back.

"Hey little brotha'." Merle says, seriously.

He takes out his own kinda pick-me-up, a joint. He takes a few hits off it then offers me some, and for the first time I pass it up.

"Damn man, this girl's got ya' head all twisted." Merle comments.

"I- Nah. Jus' ain't feelin' it tonight." I tell him, semi-honestly.

The truth is, I want to be some what of a role model to Athena. It ain't like her dad is gonna man up, so who will if not me? I never had a loving father, and my home life sucked; so the least I could do is try to be there and protect her, and her mother too. Merle will never understand, he doesn't get the value of family or being a person that a young kid like Athena can look up to.

I leave Merle to get high, and decide to turn in for the night. Athena is in bed with her mother, but she's not sleeping. However, Sylvie is passed right out. I slip into my sleeping bag and look up at the roof of the tent.

"Daryl?" Athena whispers.

"Hm?" I mumble.

"Will you always be here with us?" She asks.

"Always, kid."

A/N- Hope you liked this chapter in Daryl's P.O.V- I wanted to start on establishing Daryl and Athena's relationship. Comment what ya' think! Suggestions and feedback are always welcome!