Chapter 9~ Disaster

{Sylvie's P.O.V}

       These poor old people probably don't have much time left, and the guys running this place are kidding themselves if they think they can keep this up. 

"Sylvie, you're a paramedic right?" Glenn asks as Guillermo brings me into the common area after seeing Rick and the others. 

"Yeah, why?" I ask.

"This woman is having a panic attack I think." He answers. I walk over to the old woman and kneel in front of her.

"I need you to inhale as much as you can, and let it out slowly. In through the nose, out through the mouth." I coach her. I repeat this until she's breathing normally and is back to reality. 

"Can't you just let us go? We helped you out, it's only fair." I sigh, turning to Guillermo.

"Until your friends come back with our guns then you're just gonna have to sit tight." He says.

"I have a daughter I have to get back to, I promised  her I'd come back. What if they decide the guns aren't worth the hassle of getting us back? Huh, did you think about that?" I reason with him. 

"I don't know, that redneck friend of yours seemed pretty adamant about getting you back." He shrugs. 

     I can't find the right words to respond, so I just sigh and sit down in a chair. They better come soon, I didn't think I'd be in the city this long. 

    Time passes by incredibly slow before I hear the familiar voice of Rick, Guillermo and T-dog. I whip around and there they are, Rick looks pissed however.

"We almost killed you!" Rick hisses at Guillermo.

"We thought you were getting eaten by dogs, man!" T-dog says to Glenn. Glenn just shrugs and turns his attention back to an old man who's having troubles breathing. 

"Hey, ye' okay?" Daryl comes up to me and asks.

"Yeah... I just want to see my daughter." I answer.

       After Rick converses with Guillermo some more, we head back to the cube van. Only one little problem, it's gone.

"Merle... He's gonna be bringing some vengeance back to camp." Daryl says. 

       We get moving, this is gonna be a long trip back to camp on foot. It takes us several hours, for it is night when we get to the bottom of the hill. The sound of gunshots and screams makes us run faster. 

"Athena!" I scream, looking around everywhere for her. There's walkers coming out of the woods and tearing apart people. 

"Mommy!" I hear her cry. She runs out from behind Lori and into my arms. I pick her up and squeeze her tight.

"Sylvie, stay behind me." Daryl mutters. Since I'm not exactly available to help kill walkers, I listen and let Daryl fend them off. 

    After the dust settles, we just stand there in shock. Mostly everyone is sobbing or shivering with fright, Athena included.

"It's okay baby, mommy's here." I whisper in her ear.

"You came back momma, just like you promised." She says quietly, then kisses my cheek. 

"Of course I came back sweetie." I say, peppering kisses all over her face. Usually that makes her giggle, but she just remains silent, and scared.

      When the realization of what just happened settles in, people head into their tents to get a restless night of sleep. I know I probably won't sleep, not after all that. 

    I tuck Athena in and lay down beside her, but on top of all the blankets. Daryl comes in shortly, except he just sits on his sleeping bag and sharpens his arrows. I sit up and look at him.

"Thank you, for getting me back to her." I whisper. 

"I wouldn't have left the city without ye'." He replies. I glance down at Athena, she appears to be sleeping.

    I crawl across the tent and sit beside him. I kiss his cheek then grab one of his arrows.

"Let me help." I say. He looks at me, straight in the eyes. I feel the intensity of his stare making my heart flutter. 

"Mommy." Athena calls out. I break the gaze and crawl back over to Athena.

"Yes baby?" I ask her. 

"Can you rub my back? I can't sleep." She asks tiredly. I smile as I rub her little back and run my fingers through her hair. She loves when I play with her hair at the same time as rubbing her back, it puts her to sleep almost instantly. 

     When I hear her soft snores, I remove my hands and lay next to her. The sound of her breathing allows me to get tired, so I close my eyes and wait for sleep to come. Suddenly I feel a hand tuck my hair behind my ear, then a kiss is placed on the top of my hair. I find myself smiling, but I don't open my eyes. Something tells me he thought I was sleeping, so I don't want to freak him out. 

What did I ever do to deserve to have Daryl Dixon in our lives? He may hate everyone else and being an asshole sometimes, but underneath all that tough exterior is a great man. 

A/N- Sorry for no update yesterday, I wasn't home pretty much all day. Hope you enjoyed! Sorry it's shorter, I'll make up for it with a longer update next time. Perhaps later on. Thanks for all the reads, votes, and comments!