Chapter 3~Seeking a safe place

{Sylvie's P.O.V}

      My head bumping off the truck window wakes me up, Merle is driving so he hits pothole after pothole as we drive up some hill. When we reach the top, he parks the vehicle and we get out. That soldier was right, there's children, women and men of all ages too. The woman Carol we met at the traffic jam is here with her family too. 

"I want some space from these people, I don't trust em' yet." Daryl grumbles, grabbing the camping gear from the back of the truck. Merle and I grab the bags of our belongings and follow Daryl to the spot where Daryl wants to set up our tent. 

"Mommy are the other kids nice?" Athena asks me. 

"Why don't you go say hello and make some friends, Mommy is gonna be here helping." I tell her. She smiles then skips off towards the other kids. 

     Meanwhile, I help Daryl put the tent up since Merle is off in the woods, snorting his happy powder. It frustrates me how he can just do whatever he wants and it doesn't matter if he puts anyone else in danger, kinda like what happened at the bar. Daryl must have a hard time trying to bite his tongue, but then again he probably has years of practice.

"Ye' can take the middle where it's warmer, and I got an extra blanket for yer' kid." Daryl says. I thank him and lay my blankets out, Athena will just snuggle up next to me and share my blankets. 

"Looks like she's made a new friend." Daryl observes, sticking his head out of the tent. 

"Who?" I wonder, coming up beside him to look out as well. It's the brunette woman's boy, I haven't learned their names yet, but I guess now I'll have to. 

"He looks much older... I hope he'll be a good influence on her." I say in a motherly fashion. I hear him laugh, so I look at him with a cocked eyebrow.

"Ye' sound like a typical ma'." He comments. 

"Well she is my kid, and I have to worry or else no one will." I defend myself. 

"I worry bout' her too." Daryl says quietly. 

"I wish her father did, but at least she's got you and Merle." I sigh. 

"Whatever happened to ole' Shane Walsh anyways?" Daryl says sarcastically, referring to the father of my child. I shrug and decide to meet everyone here, it'll be good to know the people I'm camping with. 

    I first walk up to the brunette woman, she's sitting in a chair watching her boy and Athena draw in the dirt with sticks.

"Hi, you must be his mother?" I say kindly. 

"Yes, I'm Lori and he's Carl. Is that your daughter playing with him?" She introduces herself. 

"Yep, that's Athena and I'm Sylvie, we sorta just got here." I tell her. She smiles and gets out of the chair.

"I'll introduce you to everyone then." She says. 

       The two of us walk around camp, greeting everyone. I had the unfortunate opportunity to meet Ed, Carol's husband; what a charmer he is. I then met the Morales family, they have two kids that I'm sure Athena will get to know soon enough. After that was Dale, Jim, T-dog, Glenn, Jacqui, Amy and Andrea. 

"I'll have to introduce you to Shane when he gets back, he's just getting water for us." I freeze at the sound of his name. Is the father to my precious baby here? At this camp?

"Okay... Well I uh- I should help Daryl with uh... something." I quickly get myself out of the conversation and rush over to the brothers, they've taken up hanging out near a tree away from the others. Which for once, I appreciate them for that. 

"Guys... Shane's here, I don't want to see him." I panic. Both of them know him, they've had to make him leave my house a few times because we'd get in explosive fights. 

"If he gets anywhere near little Duck or ya' I'll kick his teeth in. Don't ye' worry Sylvie." Merle assures me.

"And how bout I go keep an eye on Thena' for ya', you just sit here and relax. I'll handle the sheriff." Merle adds. Before I can answer, he walks off to find Athena. I stay behind with Daryl.

"Athena can't have a revolving door father in her life, I vowed that I'd never let that happen to her. Shane will just break her little heart..." I worry. I let out a stressed out breath and sit against the tree. 

"Come here, I got an idea." Daryl says, grabbing my arm and helping me stand. He retrieves his crossbow and we head into the woods.

     He looks around until he finds a large tree, then he takes out his knife and starts to carve something into the bark. When he steps back to look at his masterpiece, I make it out as a bulls-eye target thing.

"Try to get it in the center every time." He tells me, then places the crossbow in my hands.

"I don't know how to shoot this thing!" I say. 

"It's already loaded, I'll help ye'." 

      He adjusts the way I hold it then he gives me little tips before telling me to pull the trigger. I let out a screech and close my eyes when I do. It kicks a little bit, which is gonna make my shoulder sore for a few days. And on top of that, I completely missed the target. 

"I suck at this." I say, discouraged.

"But ye' feel less tense and worried don't ye'?" he replies. I smile when I realize yes, I completely forgot about Shane for a few minutes.

"Well thanks, I needed that." I smile. 

"There's yer' next target, here." He says, reloading the bow. A walker? Seriously?!

"N-no I can't! You saw how bad my aim was!" I say, frantically. 

      He once again adjusts the bow, but this time he comes behind me and holds the bow steady. When the walker is just close enough, he makes me squeeze the trigger. This time I'm more confident, the bow doesn't kick as hard and I don't flinch away from it. I know Daryl is behind most of that, but at least I'm the one who held it and shot the walker. 

"I did it! Thanks Daryl!" I throw my arms around him quickly, which he instantly tenses up, so I let go and cower away.

"Sorry..." I mutter. He just chews on his cheek but eventually smirks.

What a day.

A/N- Thanks for all the votes! Y'all are amazing. Hope you enjoyed :)