Chapter 10~ Answers

{Sylvie's P.O.V} 

     The next morning, I'm up with the rising of the sun. Daryl is still sleeping, and so is Athena so I just let them be and go sit by the fire pit. Dale is awake and watching Andrea  mourn her sister. 

"Shes been there all night." Dale worries. 

"She's just grieving, she'll be alright eventually." I tell him. 

      Lori and Carol are next to join us, they look like hell. The sun gets brighter and more people wake up and come out to the center of camp. Daryl finally comes over, carrying Athena. 

"Alright everyone, we have a lot of work to do. I know last night was a rough one." Rick says to all of us.  

     I set Athena up with her coloring book to keep her occupied while I help clear out the bodies. Daryl carries the walker bodies to the burn pile, our people will go in the bury pile. I help put down our people before they turn. 

"Yer' gonna get sunburn, put some sunscreen on." Daryl says, noticing my reddening skin. 

"I'm alright Daryl, I can handle a little sunburn." I say kindly. 

"Fine. But don't complain to me when yer' skin feels like leather later on." He snorts. I roll my eyes and watch him walk over to Carol's husband. He may have been an asshole but the poor guy got eaten down to the bone. The smell and sight of it makes me queasy, so I decide to check on Athena. 

"What are you drawing?" I ask. I peer over her shoulder and examine her drawing, and what's on the paper makes me gasp.

"I drew the monsters, and Daryl saving us from them." She says innocently. 

"That's um- I'll be back sweetie." 

     I run over to the vehicles, I stop beside Daryl's and let the tears flow freely. How did this happen? When did such hell become our reality? This is no world for a little girl to grow up in. It's just not fair, she shouldn't be drawing about death, she should be playing with her barbies and going for sleepovers at grammy's and grampy's house. That's another thing, my mom and step dad, I have no idea if they're even alive. 

"Sylvie." I sniff and quickly wipe my tears. 

"Y-yeah?" I turn around to Daryl standing there.

"Ye' alright?" He asks, concerned. I try to put up a facade, but instead I just break down again.

"My daughter is drawing walkers, and you killing them! She's supposed to be drawing flowers or unicorns or something, anything but that!" I blurt out. Daryl awkwardly watches me rant, it's like he doesn't know how to handle this situation. 

"This world now is terrible, I didn't want this for my baby, and I don't want to live like this. I live in constant fear, will I live til' tomorrow? Will those monsters tear my family apart?" 

"Hey, nothin' is gonna happen to ye', or Thena'. I ain't gonna let it." He assures me. 

"C'mere." He sighs, and I walk over to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. At first he doesn't move, and keeps his hands at his side. 

"Hugging me back isn't gonna give you cooties. I promise." I try to joke, despite my current mood. He finally hugs back, and it's like all my worries melt away when I'm around him. 

_____________________

      We've decided to try the CDC and see if they'll have any answers. Also, we're going to try and see if they have a cure for Jim, who was bitten. 

     Night arrives pretty quickly, but something tells me tonight is going to be a restless night. We're leaving for the CDC in the morning. I tuck Athena in like usual, but I don't lay down, I sit in bed and watch my daughter sleep. She looks to peaceful, even with all the stresses around us. 

"Ye' can sleep ye' know. I'll guard the tent." Daryl says, coming inside. 

"I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight if I tried." I say. 

      I decide to lay down eventually, and I gently run my hands over Athena's hair to bring myself comfort. Something about her makes everything okay, even if it's not. 

"Shane's missin' out on ye' guys." I hear Daryl mutter. I turn over and look at him with a slight smile.

"Well four years ago, commitment scared him. Now he seems to be committing, to Lori and Carl." I sigh. 

"He don't deserve ye', and he sure don't deserve to call himself a father." He replies. 

"I haven't thanked you enough for being so great with Athena... She really likes you. You're one of the best things that's happened to her." I tell him shyly. 

"Yer' welcome." I turn back over and smile, he can't see so I don't try and hide it. 

         As I lay there, restlessly, I feel Athena stir then she wakes up. She turns to me, worry chiseled into her features.

"What's wrong honey?" I ask her. 

"I had a bad dream, you and Daryl turned into monsters." She tells me. I feel myself frowning, so I pull Athena into my chest so she can't see my face. 

"You're safe, it was just a dream." I whisper. 

______________________________

       Morning comes slower than ever, since I wasn't able to fall asleep I had to just lay there with my thoughts. It's safe to say I'm exhausted, as is almost everyone in camp. 

     We pack up and gather around next to the vehicles. Rick tells us what to do if something is wrong and what channel the radio will be on in case we need to get ahold of each other. Everyone is ready to leave, but not all of us are heading to the CDC. The Morales family is going off on their own to find their extended family. 

     I buckle Athena in her car seat in Daryl's truck then I get in, and so does he. We follow behind the other vehicles. I don't know how the CDC will pan out, but I'm ready for an adventure, and anything has got to be better than sitting around worrying. 

A/N- Not my favorite chapter, but It's just a filler until the CDC stuff comes up. Thanks for the reads, comments, and votes! Never thought this story would get so much attention this quickly, thanks so much <3