Chapter 7~ Uh Oh

{Sylvie's P.O.V}

     When Merle didn't get out of the cube van I knew, something had gone wrong in the city. I try not to get upset, because I still have to tell Athena and Daryl. The only good thing that came from this was Rick and Lori being reunited. Rick was to say the least, shocked about me and Athena being here. 

"Hey... I thought you might want to give this to Athena. Merle made sure he got these." Andrea says, handing me the gummy bears.

"Thanks... What happened to him?" I ask. 

"Rick handcuffed him to the roof because he was acting crazy out there... T-dog tried getting him free but he dropped the key and we left him behind. I wish he got along with others, but that just isn't his forte." Andrea explains. 

"I understand... But I don't think Daryl is gonna take it too well." I sigh. Andrea shrugs and walks off. 

"Mommy, where's Merle?" Athena asks, confused. Ever since they got back she's been searching every inch of camp, she even looked under the picnic table.

"Honey... Merle had to stay back in the city. But he made sure he got these for you." I smile sadly and give her the gummy bears. She slowly opens the package and pops one in her mouth. She looks at me with a plain expression on her face. 

"Will he come back?" She asks. I think to myself, he's not exactly dead, so there's still a chance he'll get loose and find us.

"Maybe..." I reply. 

________________

      Later on at night, we all gather around the camp fire to listen to Rick's story about how he survived after waking up from a coma. A man named Morgan taught him pretty much everything about the walkers and how the world is now. 

"Mom said you were dead." Carl blurts out, making Lori uncomfortable.

"She had every right to think that." Rick says. I watch Lori and Shane make eye contact, then Lori averts her eyes to the ground. I always knew something was up between them, but my suspicion hasn't been confirmed, not until now anyways. 

"Are you the police officer who saved mommy from the mean man?" Athena asks innocently. My cheeks burn a deep crimson red with embarrassment. 

     About a year ago, some stranger broke into my home. He tied me up and locked Athena in her bedroom while he ransacked the place. Lucky for me, Athena has a good set of pipes on her and screamed loud enough to alert the neighbors. Rick just so happened to be the cop who responded to the call. 

"Honey, we don't talk about that." I tell her. 

"What the hell is she talking about?" Shane asks. Another little secret, I made Rick promise not to tell Shane about it.

"Nothing." I say coldly, putting the conversation to an end. 

________________ 

      The next morning, the sun shines bright and wakes Athena up. She excitedly bounces up and down and shakes me awake.

"Mommy can we go swimming? Please please please!" She begs. I yawn and stretch out, I smile at her and surprise her with a tickle fight. She giggles wildly and tries escaping my clutches. 

"The tickle monster is gonna get ya!" I say, then growl like a monster. 

      After our little play fight is over, Athena continues to insist on swimming. 

"I guess... C'mon." I grab her hand and we walk down to the quarry. 

    Considering she's not very old, and not many people are around, I allow her to swim in just her undies. I strip down to just my undergarments and swim with her. We stay where it's shallow because she's still not completely independent when it comes to swimming. I have to help her in places where she can't touch.  

"Mommy I'm gonna splash you!" She giggles then splashes water in my face. I playfully grab ahold of her and spin her around in the water.

     Time flies when you're having fun, we've probably been out here for a good hour or so.

"Hey." A familiar voice greets. I turn around and there stands Daryl, he looks slightly upset but tries hiding it. 

"Daryl!" Athena cheers. She hurries out of the water and hugs his legs. He bends down and hesitantly hugs her back. 

     I wade back to shore and help Athena get dressed, I still have to get dressed myself.  

"I'll take her back up. I'll see ye' when ye' get back." Daryl offers. I thank him and get dressed in privacy, sorta. 

    When I get back up to camp, Daryl is leaning against a tree and Athena is chatting away. I can't help but laugh. 

"Hey sweetie, why don't you go color or play with the other kids. Mommy has to talk with Daryl for a minute." I tell her. She nods then walks away, finding Carl right off.

"I'm guessing you heard about Merle..." I say. He nods, and his jaw tenses up.

"That's what I wanna talk to ye' about. I'm goin' back for him." My shoulders drop and I frown.

"Daryl... You just got back. And you can't go out there alone." I worry. 

"Rick, Glenn and T-dog are comin' too. I ain't gonna be gone long, just gettin' Merle and comin' back." He says, with a simplicity to his tone. 

"Then I'm going too." I say sternly. 

"No. Ye' ain't goin'. Ye' gotta stay here with Athena." He denies. 

"Lori will take good care of her. Besides, I won't be gone long. Right?" I raise my eyebrows and put my hands on my hips. 

"Sylvie-"

"Daryl." I cut him off. He lets out a frustrated sigh, clearly my stubbornness is a pain in his ass.

"Fine. But ye' ain't gonna do anythin' to get yourself into danger. Got it?" He demands. I nod, satisfied. 

"We're leaving soon, so get yer' shit ready." He tells me. I nod and head back to the tent. I grab my bat and go find Athena, this outta be fun trying to tell her I'm leaving.

"Athena honey, can I talk to you for a minute?" I call to her. She stops playing tag with the other kids and comes over to me. 

"Yes mommy?" I kneel down and hold onto her little hands.

"I have to take a trip for a few hours, but I'll be back. I promise. Do you think you can hold down the tent with cupcake for me?" I smile, to try and make her think it's nothing serious. She looks at the ground and frowns.

"You won't stay like Merle did will you?" She asks. 

"Of course not, I love you too much to be away for too long. Can I have a hug?" She puts her arms around my neck and remains silent.

"I love you mommy. Please come back soon." She sighs then walks away. I expected more of a tantrum like when Daryl left, maybe now she's just used to it and understands. 

"Daryl, go say bye to her. Make sure you tell her you'll come back. She's terrified of us not returning." I whisper to him. He rolls his eyes and gets out of the back of the cube van. He walks over to her, and I watch him interact with her. He ruffles her hair and heads back this way. She looks so sad as she watches us get ready to leave.

"Promise me something Daryl..." He gives me a curious look.

"If something happens to me, you need to keep Athena safe." 

"Don't talk like that. Yer' gonna be fine." He mumbles. I sigh, and push the nervous thoughts out of my head. He's right, I'm gonna make it, I have to.

A/N- How do you like it so far? Comments and feedback make me happy, so feel free to comment. Ps. In case you weren't sure, the gif in the chapter is the actress who plays Athena.