Chapter 16~ Impaled

{Sylvie's P.O.V}

       Daryl went out to search for Sophia earlier today. He's been gone for a while, which makes me a little nervous but I try not to let it show. He was only supposed to go for a few hours, he promised me he'd come back. I trust him, but I don't trust walkers or even people for that matter.

"Mommy, are you sad?" Athena asks. I quickly mask the worry to try and fool the small girl.

"No honey, just thinking." I smile. 

"Oh... Mommy?" 

"Hmm?" 

"Do you miss Daryl?" She wonders.

"Why would I miss him baby? He's not going to be gone long." She sighs and fixes the wrinkles in her shirt.

"Because I do, he said he'd read me a bedtime story." I smile at the vision of those two laying in bed, him reading to her. 

"And he still can, he's just out being a hero." I say, making her smile. 

       She waits a few moments before taking a seat on my lap and resting her head on my shoulder. I wrap my arms around her and snuggle her tight. Her body goes heavy within minutes, and soft snores fill my ears. I kiss her hair and carefully adjust so I don't wake her.

"Walker!" I hear Andrea shout. Athena awakens, her eyes widened with fear.

"Momma I thought this place is safe!" She croaks. 

"It is baby... Just hold onto mommy, I won't ever let you go." I whisper in her ear. I stand up with her and get a look out in the field, it's hard to see with the naked eye. 

    Suddenly, Andrea pulls the trigger and Rick yells at her. They all take off running, so I nervously follow behind in a fast paced walk with Athena on my hip. When I reach the guys, they're hovered over Daryl.

"Daryl! What the hell happened to him?!" I ask frantically. 

      Instead of answering me, Shane and Rick pick him up and carry him back towards the farm. T-dog discovers a doll that must've fallen off of Daryl's belt; that's Sophia's doll. I hurry inside but Lori keeps me from going into the room.

"I know you're scared, but you gotta give Hershel room." Lori says softly.

"Don't tell me what to do!" I snap. Lori doesn't seem to take offense, instead she just stays quiet all while keeping me out of the room.

"When Hershel is done I'll come get you, you gotta be strong for her." Lori says quietly, looking at Athena. I sigh in defeat, and sulk into the living room. 

      Athena leans against me on the couch, she doesn't say a word. I can feel her shaking beside me, so I put an arm around her and hold her close. 

"Daryl will be okay honey, he's tough." I try to console her.

"But he's hurt... How can he read to me?" She squeaks, tears filling her eyes.

"Oh sweetie, it's okay. I'm sure he'll read to you when he's better." I kiss her forehead and use my thumb to wipe her tears.

     Shortly, Rick comes out and talks to Lori. I take that as a sign that we can go see him. 

"Mommy I'm gonna make Daryl a card first." Athena decides proudly. I smile and watch her find some paper and crayons. Meanwhile, I go inside the room to see him. 

"You're gone for one day and you get an arrow to your side, and a gunshot?" I attempt at sarcasm. He grunts and rolls his eyes. 

    I sit beside him on the bed, I run my fingers through his hair while looking into his eyes. I feel the tears coming on, but I fight them off.

"Hey, don't cry. I ain't dead yet." He mumbles. 

"I know I just... We were really worried about you." I carefully hug him, but I somehow still cause a little pain to his side. 

"Before I passed out, I saw ye'." He says, I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"What do you mean?" I wonder.

"Merle was just harassin' me like always, and then ye' showed up in that white dress that I used to watch ye' sit outside in. Ye' looked so beautiful... So peaceful." He whispers.

"So you did used to spy on me? Creep..." I joke. 

     The two of us just sit there quietly, looking at each other. He gently brushes his fingers over the top of my hand. I find myself curling up next to him, and looking up at him.

"Kiss me." I purr into his ear. He cranes his neck to look at me, then he presses a hesitant but feather-light kiss on my light pink lips. 

    Soon after we pull apart, Athena skips in the room with the card she made. She carefully climbs up on the bed and presents her masterpiece proudly to him. He cracks a smile as he uses his free hand to grab it from her.

"If I had a fridge, this would be on it. Thank ye' kid." He says. Her eyes shine bright and her face glows with excitement. 

"Can I lay with you guys?" She asks. I nod and she curls up on the other side of Daryl.

"When your booboos are all gone, will you read to me?" She requests. He mutters something along the lines of "yes".

     I must have fallen asleep, because a few hours later Carol comes in to wake us up for dinner. Athena hurries out to the dinner table, something about food makes her happy.

"I'll bring a tray in for you guys." Carol offers.

"Let me help." I say, getting out of bed and following Carol to the kitchen.

"He's never cared about anyone as much as he does you and your little girl... It's like he's a new man after Merle leaving and you two coming into his life." She observes.

"Athena is really attached to him... I can't rob her of that. Plus, he's a sweetheart around her." I smile.

"She's not the only one attached." Carol smirks, causing me to blush.

"It's not like that... We're friends." I fib. 

"That's what Lori said about Shane, and look where that ended up." Carol remarks. I chuckle at her analogy, she's absolutely right. I'm just glad neither Daryl or I are married, cause then that'd be one tragic love story.

A/N- Sorry it took so long to update! I've been sick, and also not around my computer. But I hope you enjoy, thanks for all the reads, comments and votes! I love feedback. I also hope this isn't cheesy, or unrealistic. Do you like the build up of their relationship? Or would you rather see something different?