Chapter 24~ Amateur

{Sylvie's P.O.V}

"What are you thinking about?" I ask Daryl. He rolls over to his back and glances down at me.

"Just thinkin' about the run into town. Thinkin' about what we might need." He answers.

"About that- I want to go with them. I have stuff I want to get for Athena." I tell him.

"If ye' go ye' better be damn careful." He speaks protectively.

"Always am." I smirk and bury my face into his chest.

      Suddenly Athena shows up in the doorway, she wears a frown.

"What is it baby?" I ask her.

"My heart hurts, from T-dog and Lori and Carol." She explains.

"Come here sweetie, let mommy hold you." She gladly obliges and lays between Daryl and I on this rather small prison bed.

"What you're feeling is heartache, you're mourning them. It'll take time but things will get better." I explain to her. She puffs out her bottom lip and tears form in her eyes.

"Why can't things be like they were before? I miss my toys, and the playground, and Grammy and Grandpa..." She pouts.

"C'mere kiddo. I wanna show ye' something." Daryl adds in, sitting up in bed.

      I carry Athena while we follow Daryl out to the courtyard. The sun is just beginning to rise, there's fresh dew on the grass and birds chirping in the trees. It all seems so blissful for a moment, then I hear the growls and remember that things are definitely not like they used to be.

"Do ye' see the grass and hear the birds?" Daryl asks Athena. She nods slowly as she watches him rip some grass from the ground.

"Ye' see the dirt and grass I just got?" He prompts her to nod.

"Ye' had all this before everything changed, ye' haven't lost everythin'. Ye' still got yer' momma and ye' got me. I'm one hell of a guy, ain't I?" He directs the last part at me.

"You sure are." I confirm.

"So I'd say yer' pretty damn lucky." He says, causing a small grin to stretch across Athena's face.

      I set her down and allow her to be picked up by him, she wraps her arms around him. As does he. We then head inside.

        A few hours pass by before people start waking up, which indicates my departure soon. I enjoy a small portion of canned beans and some water with Maggie.

"I'm going with you and Glenn on the run today." I inform her. She nods, as she is chewing and doesn't want to talk with a mouth full of food.

     After breakfast, we grab a few bags to fill up with items we find. We also put enough gas in the vehicle to go and come back. Maggie says bye to Beth and Hershel, Glenn and I both say bye to Daryl. I look at Athena, who is at Daryl's side holding his hand. She puckers her lips and holds out her arms. I dramatically kiss her lips and squeeze her small frame.

"I love you more than the moon and stars. Stay safe." I tell her.

"I love you more than the sun!" She declares proudly. I laugh as I stand up from kneeling, then I quickly kiss Daryl.

"Be safe out there. Ye' get her back in one piece." Daryl says to Glenn. He nods and with that we load up in the car.

      On the drive, it's fairly quiet. Glenn occasionally lists off things we need and Maggie responds. But other than that no one really says anything. After a while in silence, Maggie turns around and looks at me.

"I'm so glad you and Daryl finally made it official." She sighs happily. I blush madly.

"I was worried that Athena wouldn't approve, especially after her dad died. But I'm glad she likes Daryl, he's really stepping up to be a father figure to her." I explain.

"I didn't think he would be much of a fatherly type, or even the relationship kind of guy. From what I heard from everyone else and how he acts would say differently."

"People think he's like his brother, but he's not. He's selfless and he has a big heart. Merle is definitely not either of those things." I reply.

"We're here. Sorry to interrupt your gossip or whatever..." Glenn blurts out. Maggie and I share a laugh while Glenn pulls into the parking lot.

"Sylvie you check outside of this place, see if there's anything useful someone dropped. Also holler if anyone suspicious shows up." Glenn commands. I nod and start looking around.

       For the most part there's just empty cigarette packs, crushed soda cans, and crinkled up chip bags. But something else catches my eye, it's slightly in the woods and slightly on the pavement. I walk up to it and check out the contents. There's canned foods, a pocket knife and a flashlight. When I try to pick it up, I hear a click then the branches rustling above me. I glance up just as a heavy net falls down on me.

     I struggle to get out of the net, but I stop as soon as I see Glenn and Maggie coming out of the store. I then see a large monkey-like figure grab Maggie and take her hostage. Glenn freaks out when he sees her in danger. But the large man just threatens them and commands that they open the car. He forces them inside and drives away, I am too stunned to say anything at first.

"Damnit! No! Come back!" I yell, although it's useless, they're long gone.

"Need some help?" I hear a woman ask. I turn my head until I see a black woman with a katana standing over me. I hesitate before nodding.

     She lifts the net off me, then just stares at me like I've got something in between my eyes.

"I know where he's taking your friends, I also grabbed this that your friends dropped. Take me to your prison and I'll help get your people back."

"Okay... thank you." I sigh.

A/N- Sorry again it took so long to update, my computer quit on me but I was able to find another computer. Also, thanks for all the reads and votes! I appreciate them so much! Comment if ya want.