Chapter 29~ Mother knows best

{Sylvie's P.O.V}

     I've lost track of how much time has passed since Daryl left. I've been in such a slump that I haven't cared about anything. I haven't eaten recently, haven't bathed, and sleep seems to lack the most. Sometimes I disappear into the woods for hours and return covered in walker blood. I go out there looking for Daryl, hoping to find him and convince him to come back; But it never works so I return to the prison in a worse mess than before.

      Even Athena has noticed a change, she's stopped asking me to make her meals and read her a bedtime story. Instead, she finds one of the other women to help her out. I wish I felt bad about my behavior, but lately it seems like I'm incapable of feeling anything. It's not just Daryl's leaving that has me like this, it's a mix of all the physical and emotional pain I've endured over the past month or so. Seeing my sister in the way that I did really messed with my head, how could she love someone so evil? 

"Your daughter fell and scraped her knee. Figured I'd let you know, not that you'd care anyways." Maggie tells me dully. I look up at her with no expression to my face whatsoever, I just stand up and walk out to the courtyard. 

"Sweetie? Are you okay?" I call out, as I haven't seen her yet. 

"Down here! She's alright, it's just a scrape." Beth yells to me from the field. 

      I hurry down to them and lift Athena into my arms. She's sniffling so she must have cried a little bit. It kills me to see her in pain and knowing I wasn't here when she fell.

"I'm so sorry baby... Mommy has been terrible to you lately. I love you so much." I whisper in her ear as I hug her tight.

"Aww, how sweet. Too bad this ain't gonna last." I hear someone say loudly. I look through the fence and there's Justin with that sinister grin.

"Honey, you need to run inside- NOW!" I hiss at her. She looks at me confused so Beth just grabs her and takes off running to the prison.

"What do you want? Haven't you caused enough harm?" I ask him. He chuckles and heads into the woods for a moment. 

     When he returns, he has someone by the arm with a bag over their head. I just cross my arms, really? Is this all he's got? I probably don't even know this person.

"Say hi to Momma bear, Sylvie. Why don't you tell her about all the fun we had?" He takes off the bag and shoves the person forward.

"Mom?" I gasp. I see my mom's face brighten up when she sees me, as does mine.

"You let her go!" I demand. 

"Alright." He simply says. He steps away from her and she runs up to fence, waiting for me to let her in. 

     All of a sudden, a truck comes barreling down the road into straight through the fence. The truck stops and a man opens the back of the truck. Walkers tumble out and look around hungrily for a meal. 

"Mom hurry!" I yell to her. As she starts to run towards me, I see Justin point his gun at her. He pulls the trigger but someone tackles him from behind and the gunshot misses both of us.

"Matthew!" Mom cries out as my step dad and Justin fight for the gun. 

       Matthew appears to be losing, but then he twists Justin's wrist and is able to get the gun. Without hesitation, he executes the bastard. Justin Moldigan will no longer hurt any more women or men.

      Mom and Matthew hug each other but I tug on their arms to get them up to the prison. The field is becoming infested with walkers, so we don't have a whole lot of time. I keep shoving them forward until they get past the gate, on the other hand I feel a hand latch onto my shirt. I'm pulled to the ground and the hungry walker snaps it's jaws. I punch it in the face and then shove it away with all my might. Then I grab my knife from my belt and stab it in the head. From all the commotion, more walkers head my way.