Chapter 19~ Changed

{Daryl's P.O.V}

      Sylvie still hasn't woken up yet. Hershel has done what he can to help her, which basically just included him removing the glass and stitching her up. Shouldn't she be awake by now? It was just a cut... at least I think it was.

"Daryl, mind if I borrow Athena? She needs a bath." Beth asks softly. She can tell how nervous and unsure I am of handing Athena over to someone else. 

"It'll be quick, I promise." She assures me. 

"Thena', why don't ye' go with Beth and play with bath toys." I say to her. Her bottom lip quivers and she suddenly throws her arms around me. She hangs on for dear life, clearly she doesn't want to go anywhere.

"It's alrigh' kiddo, I ain't goin' anywhere. I'll be right here waitin' with yer' mom." I try to convince her but she doesn't budge.

"I know you don't wanna leave Sylvie, but I can watch her if you wanna go give her a bath. Maybe it'll settle your mind a little bit." Beth suggests. I look at Sylvie, she doesn't seem to be waking any time soon so I take Beth up on that advice.

"C'mon Thena'. I'm gonna give ye' a bath." I tell her. She nods and I pick her up, I take her into the bathroom.

     I don't have much experience with this parenting stuff. How does she trust me to take care of her child if something were to happen? I don't think I could ever be even half the parent Sylvie is. 

"Is this a good temp for ye'?" I ask the child. She sticks her hand in the water and dramatically nods. 

     I help her undress, then she gets in the soapy bath water. There's a single rubber ducky that Beth kept from her childhood. Athena takes interest in the yellow toy for a few minutes then entertains herself with a shampoo bottle. 

"Look Daryl, I've got a beard!" She giggles, rubbing the bubbles on her chin. 

"Oh yeah? I do too." I stick my small amount of scruff in her face, she laughs wildly. I can't help but smile, she has such a heart warming effect on ya'.

     I wash her up, it takes me somewhat longer than an average bath time because this isn't something I do on a daily basis. But I get her clean nonetheless, and I even help her dress into her pajamas. 

"Can we go read to mommy?" She asks. I pick her up and carry her back to Sylvie's room. 

     Athena curls up beside her mother, she starts telling her the story about bath time. I smile as I sit in a chair and watch her talk, with no response.

"I have a bigger beard than Daryl mommy... Isn't that cool?" She looks at Sylvie, as if waiting for a response. She lets out a sigh when she remains silent.

      I've been so busy worrying about Sylvie and Athena that I haven't even been around to discuss what to do with a kid we brought in. I could care less right now, they can do what whatever the hell they want with him. 

"Alrigh' Thena'. Ye' should try and sleep. Kiss yer' Ma and I'll shut off the light." I tell her. 

    She kisses Sylvie's cheek and snuggles up close and under the blankets. I tuck her in and ruffle her hair. I feel her little hand wrap around mine.

"Mommy always gives me a hug and kiss." She says matter-of-factly. I lean down and hug her, then place a kiss on the top of her head.

"I'll see ye' two in the morning." I say, shut off the light, then leave.

     I enjoy peace and quiet out here in my separate little camp area, no one bothers me for the most part and I get to think to myself. Once Sylvie wakes up, I'm going to tell her how I feel. 

________________

     The next day, Rick holds a group discussion in the house regarding the Randall situation. I stand in the back of the group and listen, I'm only here cause I got nothin' better to do. Dale, Rick, and Shane are the most frequent participants of this debate. 

"G-get rid of the problem." A soft voice says weakly from behind us all. I turn around, and I can't believe my eyes. There's Sylvie, standing there in baggy clothing, her hair messy, and her face as pale as snow. There's a red colored ring around her eyes, indicating the hell she's been through lately.

"Sylvie..." I run at her, and pull her into me. I squeeze her gently, so I don't hurt her stomach. She appears shocked for a moment, but eventually puts her arms around me.

"Don't scare me like that, ever." I whisper in her ear. 

"I won't, It was stupid of me to leave." She replies. 

     With the feeling of all eyes on us, we pull apart and face them all.

"Ye' heard her, we get rid of the problem." I say sternly. That was the statement that pretty much made the overall group decision. Randall will be executed tonight.

"Sylvie, this isn't you! You can't want to execute an innocent man!" Dale protests. Sylvie just shrugs and stays by my side, sticking to her decision.

      Later that night, Sylvie decides she wants to stay out in our tent instead of inside in that bed. She's pretty lamed up, but at least she's awake and can walk.

"Athena told me all about what happened while I was asleep." She says to me. We're sitting around the little fire pit on lawn chairs. 

"She told ye' those stories even when ye' were awake, ye' just couldn't hear or respond. That little girl is smart I tell ye'." I say. She smiles and reaches out her hand and grabs mine. 

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Daryl." She says quietly. 

     I know now's my chance, but I chicken out. When we see and hear Rick, Shane and a few others, we stand up and decide to check things out.

"Hey, ye' gonna do it?" I ask, standing in the doorway of the barn.

"No no no! Please!" Randall pleads. 

   Rick sighs, and points his gun at Randall's head.

"I know Sylvie! I know your parents and sister!" He suddenly blurts out. Rick instantly lowers his gun, glaring at the boy.

"What the hell do you mean? What are their names?" Sylvie bombards him with questions.

"They've been staying at our camp... Their names are Penelope and Matthew, and your sister is Roslynn. They have a daughter named Sylvie and a granddaughter named Athena. They miss you." Randall answers. 

"Don't kill him." She suddenly says. 

"He could be lyin' for all ye' know! He's jus' tryin' to get in yer' head." I argue with her.

"No! He knows them, he said their names. I have to find them, It's bad enough I left the city without them. If they're alive, I need to see them." Sylvie says sternly. And with that, we leave him be, this topic will be discussed later. And hopefully Sylvie sees that this kid is full of shit.

A/N- Do you think Sylvie will find her family? Or is Randall lying? Comment if ya want! Thanks for all the reads!