Chapter 26~ Waiting for Superman

{Daryl's P.O.V}

    Athena is sound asleep in my arms. I must've tuckered her out from our game of tag, which was a lot less boring than I thought it'd be. I take a walk out to the courtyard to see what Rick is doing, him and Carl are just standing there chatting.

"Hey." I greet them.

"Look at you, bein' all soft. I never imagined Sylvie had you wrapped around her finger this much." Rick jokes. I roll my eyes and crane my neck to look at Athena without waking her.

"Dad, who's that?" Carl wonders, pointing to the crowd of walkers all bunched up at the fence.

     At first I think he's nuts, there's only walkers clawing the fence. Then I take a closer look, there's someone standing there holding a red basket with baby formula. Rick takes off running down the dirt path, Carl follows. I know they'll handle it so I don't go any closer with Athena so she isn't in harms way.

      They bring her into the prison, so I follow behind and lay Athena down on mine and Sylvie's bed. After that I decide to get in on the action.

"Daryl..." Rick sighs upon my arrival. His tone of voice didn't sound too promising.

"Sylvie, Glenn, and Maggie were taken. This woman says she knows where and that she can take us there." Rick tells me.

     I feel like a knife has been stabbed through my heart, it's like the thought of losing the woman I love is making my heart throb with pain. I've never felt this before, it's like some foreign feeling that is killing me inside.

"Who took her? Did they hurt her?" I bombard the woman with questions.

"The blonde one was heading back with me, and she was fine. One minute we were talking and the next I turn around and hear distant screaming." She explains.

"Ye' didn't run after her?!" I yell at her.

"I'm in no shape to run, they'd kill me and then I wouldn't have got back here to tell you this. You won't find them without me." She has a point, so I shut up and slam the door as I storm outside.

      I reach the fence and stuff my hands in my pockets, I feel cool metal at the bottom of the left side. I pull out a necklace, it's a simple silver shaped heart with a gem in the center. I found it on a walker, it may sound disgusting and not very thoughtful; but for me, it's the best I can do. I ain't no romantic type, but I don't want her to think I'm not worthy. When she gets back I'm giving it to her... If she comes back.

"Hey man, I understand how ya' feel. And as soon as Michonne is stable enough she's taking us to a place called Woodbury. I want them back just as much as you... But I need you to keep a cool head, as hard as that may seem." Rick tries to console me, but it doesn't do anything. So to calm my nerves, I take out a cigarette and take a long drag off it.

"I would tell you to stay behind and be there for Athena, but if anyone is gonna get her back it's you. But you should talk to Athena, you know, just in case." Rick says, then walks away.

     I sigh and toss the cigarette to the ground, I've lost all desire to smoke it now. Maybe a cigarette isn't what I need. Maybe Athena will bring me comfort, I mean, she is blood relative to Sylvie.

"Daryl!" Athena cheers as I enter the cell block. She jumps up and I catch her. She senses my mood change and furrows her brows.

"What's wrong?" She wonders.

"Thena'... Somethin' happened to yer' mom. I have to leave soon to go find her, so ye' will have to stay with Beth for a little bit. I want ye' to know that I ain't gonna come back til I find her. I promise ye' I'll do whatever it takes." I tell her softly.

     Her smile turns into a lip quiver, and silent tears run down her face. This kid has been to hell and back, and she can never seem to catch a break. Every tear and every sniffle is fuel to the fire that burns within me, and that fire will push me to do everything in my power to kill the bastards who grabbed Sylvie.

     I pull her into me and squeeze her, I feel my shirt becoming damp and Athena wiping her snots on me. Any other time I'd make her get a tissue, But even a hardened soul like mine doesn't have the heart to scold her to get a tissue.

"When do you have to go?" She croaks, pulling away slightly so she can look at me.

"Soon... Stay safe, ye' need to be strong and happy for when I bring your momma back. Ye' hear?" I try to sound hopeful, but even she isn't fooled. She remains silent and walks heavily back to our cell.

      I watch her search through Sylvie's bag, she grabs one of her shirts and then puts it on her stuffed dog. She holds it close to her chest and curls up on Sylvie's belongings.

"Daryl... You need to promise me something." Carol says sadly. I turn to her, but she doesn't take her eyes off Athena.

"Bring that little girls mom back."

A/N- I know this is shorter than usual, and may not be very action packed, but it's all I can squeeze in before I have to run a bunch of errands. Sorry it takes so long between updates, life is hectic with work and other things. Hope you enjoyed! Also, thanks for all the comments, votes, and reads! Y'all are amazing <3