Chapter 17~ Keeping Secrets

{Sylvie's P.O.V}

     I've been observing the behavior in camp the past few days. Everyone has changed somehow, whether it's fear, strength, or tensions between people. Shane is becoming increasingly angry and difficult to be around. Lori is being distant, something tells me she's hiding something. And then there's Glenn, the poor guy is dealing with drama with Maggie, and there's another factor that appears to be eating at him.

      Knowing that Athena is safe with Daryl, I decide to take a much needed walk. I haven't checked out the barn all that much, it gives off a creepy vibe. I find myself venturing off in that area, even though something in my gut screams to stay away.

"Running away?" I hear Shane say from behind me. 

"No. Just walking." I reply coldly. He huffs in frustration then rolls his eyes.

"You're a bitch you know that? What have I done to you?" I scoff, how does one answer that?

"And before you bring up the past, I'm talking about since we've had to survive together." He adds quickly.

"Gee Shane, did you ever consider the fact that you're an inconsiderate douche bag?" I retort. 

"Watch your mouth." He says lowly.

"So you can call me names, but I can't say anything to you? You really are a special kind of stupid." I roll my eyes and try to walk away. 

      Instead, Shane steps forward and blocks my path. I shove him, but he hardly budges. 

"Shane, cut it out." I growl. 

     He grabs my wrist and twists it, I yelp in pain. He does a quick scan to make sure no one is around then pins me against the barn wall, face first. 

"Shane stop!" I hiss, struggling against him. 

"You're gonna wish you'd been nicer to me." He threatens. 

     In a matter of seconds, he throws me to the ground and straddles my hips. He places one hand around my throat and with the other hand he starts feeling me up. I try to cry out, but I can't breathe nor speak. I thrash wildly, kicking my legs and clawing at him.

"Sylvie? Sylvie?" I hear someone call out. 

"Whoa..." Glenn gasps once he comes around the corner. Shane shoots up and walks up to him intimidatingly. 

"You say anything and I'll kick your ass." He warns. Glenn looks between us, conflicted on whether he should bolt or help me.

"I won't say anything... But you gotta let her go." He says shakily. Shane grumbles before reluctantly walking off.

"I- I'm sorry." Glenn stutters. I stand up, brushing the dirt off my clothes.

"You can't tell Daryl, or anyone. Promise?" I whisper. 

"Sylvie, what if he does that again? He may kill you next time... You should tell someone."

"No!" I snap. He shuts right up, so I brush past him and make my way into the tent. 

     I curl up on the bed and hug myself, my body involuntarily shakes in fright. After a few moments, the tent unzips and Daryl steps inside. 

"What are ye' doin' in here? It ain't even lunch time yet." Daryl says curiously. 

"N-nothing... Just tired." I reply quickly, and turn away. He sits on the edge of the cot and places a hand on my hip, and instantly he can feel the shaking. 

"What's wrong? Why are ye' shakin'?" He questions. I shoot up out of bed.

"Nothing! Leave me alone... please." I say desperately, then disappear from the tent.

     I break off into a sprint, towards the woods. I run until my lungs burn and my legs feel like jello. When I stop, I hear Rick and Hershel's familiar voice nearby. Stealthily, I investigate what they're doing out here. Rick has a walker on a snare pole, and Hershel too. Instead of running from my problems back at camp, I decide to inform them of this scandal. 

     Upon returning to camp, I frantically gather everyone.

"R-Rick and Hershel, they're getting walkers on snare poles... Out in the woods." I announce. Glenn then steps forward, guilt written all over his face.

"I didn't want to tell you guys... but there's walkers in the barn." He admits. 

    Looks of shock and worry overwhelm everyone. Just the thought of living so close to the monsters who try to kill us is enough to send anyone into a tizzy. Shane being Shane, he runs down to the barn. Everyone follows him, except me. I want nothing to do with him and his shenanigans. They fight a little bit then return to the front porch. Shane takes it upon himself to provide everyone with a gun. he tries to force one into my hands but I refuse it and spit in his face instead.

"Just take the damn gun." Daryl mumbles. I whip my head to look at him, I glare daggers. 

"They're back!" T-Dog exclaims, pointing out into the distance. 

     We all take off running to them, we all meet close to the barn. Shane argues with Rick and Hershel, and to boost his argument Shane shoots holes through the female's chest. Finally, a fatal shot to the head. 

"Shane!" Lori yells, a pathetic attempt to stop him. 

     In the midst of his rage, he busts the locks off the barn and knocks on the doors to rile the walkers up. A few at a time limp out towards us like a pack of hungry wolves. 

"Mommy..." Athena whimpers, coming up to me and hugging my legs.

    I pick her up and shield her eyes from the horror, she doesn't need to watch Daryl and the others kill them. One of the last walkers to come out is Sophia, a very dead and rotted little girl. Carol bursts into sobs, then runs towards her daughter. Daryl holds her back, I can see her heart breaking with every step closer Sophia gets.

"Mommy, what's wrong with Sophia?" Athena asks, turning her head and getting a look at the zombified child. 

"She's gone sweetheart... That's not her anymore." I sigh. Finally, Rick steps forward, raising his python. I flinch at the crack of the gun as it pierces the little girl's skull.

     That's it... Sophia's gone.

A/N- Hope you enjoyed. Tried to put a little more action in this one, and yes I did switch the time line a little bit. Comment feedback if ya want!