"Don't let him go"

I woke early this morning to make Nicole a cooked breakfast. Today was her big day. 

I wonder what it would be like to get married. To be with the same person your whole life. To buy your first family home with them. To start a family. To have everything you could ever need with them.

I find it funny that if Luke hadn't of invited me and Nicole to that party years ago, she probably wouldn't have fallen in love and neither would have I. There's just something's I never really can repay him for.  

"Hey" I hear from behind me.  

I turn and see Nicole walking into the kitchen wrapped up in her oversized hoodie and sweatpants that are two sizes too big.  

"Luke's?" I ask pointing to her choice of outfit.  

She grins "probably" she shrugs.  

I roll my eyes and continue cooking the last part of her breakfast.  

"What's all this?" She asks hopping up and sitting on the bench.  

"Breakfast for my darling sister because unless I am mistaken she is getting married today" I say grinning at her.  

She instantly gets smacked in the face with the biggest smile I've ever seen. "Oh yeah, that is today" she says.  

I laugh at her. I hand her, her breakfast and she takes it without hesitation. "You nervous?" I ask.   "You know what? Not really anymore. I was yesterday, but I woke up this morning and I know that this is no mistake because I love him and that much will always be clear to me"  

I smile. I know now exactly what she means. "Do you think mum and dad still love each other?" I blurt out. She looks at me wide eyed. We haven't spoken about my dad since he left. When he left Nicole and I vowed never to talk about him again. He hurt us. He never spoke to us again, no postcards, no letters, no emails, no phone calls no nothing. He left and the sooner I accepted that, the sooner I could get on with my life and I have accepted that and I've gotten on with my life. I must've been about 15 when my parents split. Our family has always been broken and Nicole promised never to leave me, and I believe her.  

The question I just asked is a question a traumatised 14 year old would ask after their parents broke up. Not a question an eighteen year old would ask nearly four years later. The question had just been roaming around in my mind for a while and I guess it just kinda slipped out.  

"I...I'm sorry.. I have no idea why I just asked that.." I say mumbling. Nicole sets her plate down and hops off the bench.  

She puts her hands on my shoulders and makes me look up at her. "Hey, it's ok. We never talked about it and that probably made it worse because you were so young and you deserved to know," she begins. I look into her eyes and she continues talking "in answer to your question I'm saying no. I believe that the love with the right person is eternal. I'm not saying that they didn't love each other because they did. I'm just saying that they weren't right. Mum and dad were having issues before Jordan left. Jordan leaving just pushed them over the edge," she takes a breath slowly then continues "I guess what I'm saying is, when you think it's the right person, make sure you really know. I know Ella, I know" she says smiling at the end. I see tears surfacing in her eyes but she blinks them away.  

I'm about to comfort her with a speech but mum comes into the kitchen so we drop the conversation.   "I don't know why you two are just standing around! There's a lot to do today!" She says with a gleam in her eyes.   

She drags Nicole along with her. "Ella you are responsible for yourself today, be at the country club by three , the ceremony starts at five"   

"Got it" I reply and with that I'm left alone in the kitchen. Not too long after I hear the front door open and close and then the car leave the driveway. Then I'm alone.