Chapter Forty-Four

Mia

~ Five Years Later ~

The ages of the children at this point in the book are:

Robin: 9

Ryder: 7

Riley: 5

Amber: 9

Ben: 2

Charlie & Max: 12

Gracie: 3

I hope you enjoy.

Mia

After a long day I can't wait to get to my family and share the news that me and Ross have. For the first time this is the most excited I have been. I can't wait to see the reactions of my family and my best friends.

After all these years it's always been the children that have brought us closer together and made our whole family more complete.

I spent most of my afternoon with Lucy and it was so hard to keep my mouth shut about it. She could tell something was going on and she kept asking if everything was okay. I hate keeping things from her and I know she knows there is something going on.

Luckily I don't have to wait too much longer and I can get this off my chest and celebrate the good news with my family.

I had to leave Lucy's a bit earlier since I had to run some errands before going to Mark and Stormies. Ross and Lucy were going to collect the kids from school and I was going to meet them at the house.

As I leave the store I notice a guy in the parking lot shouting at what I assume is his girlfriend, who is trying to calm him down but his voice just gets louder and louder. I keep my head down and walk to my car, I don't want to seem as if I'm being nosey and sure as hell don't want to get on the wrong side of that man.

I climb into my car and turned the key, more anxious to get home to Ross. The engine starts up but suddenly cuts out, creating an awful sound before going completely dead. I turn the key again in hope it was just a glitch but my car engine just made a horrible screeching sound. I sigh and take my phone from my purse.

"Hello"

"Babe, will you come and get me?"

"What's wrong?" Ross' voice is laced with panic and I roll my eyes at his concern.

"My car won't start and I'm stranded at the store. Will you come and pick me up?"

"Lucy!" I hear Ross shout and I hear my best friends faint voice in the background. "Can you get the kids from school? I need to get Mia" I hear his keys clink against each other and Lucy shout something to Ross.

"What is she saying?" I ask.

"That she can't handle collecting four kids from school and taking them to Mom and Dads" He laughs.

"Tell her I'll buy her a bottle of wine and have the kids on a night of her choice so her and Rocky can go out"

"DEAL!" My best friend shouts and I realise I'm on speaker phone.

"I'll be ten minutes baby" Ross tells me and the phone call ends. I sit back against my drivers seat and look out into the parking lot in front of me. I notice I Mother clinging onto her shopping cart while trying to drag along her screaming toddler as well. I sigh as I come to the realisation that I'll be enjoying that again in no time, when not long ago I was happy to be putting the terrible two's behind me. I'd been lucky that my children had only had a few moments where they'd had terrible melt downs, mostly at home when it was time to put their toys away but as they grew up it was becoming a thing of the past. I know I have the teenage years to endure but in a way I was looking forward to see how my children will turn out, to find out what paths they'd take in their life. But I also know that this new baby will be good for us, the final member of mine and Ross' little family.