Chapter Thirty-One

Ross's POV

"I just need to ask you a few questions before I take you to see your daughter" The middle-aged women sat us down in front of a desk in a secluded office. The colour from Mia's had drained completely and her hands started to shake. The doctor kept flicking through her large pile of paperwork, keeping us waiting even longer. If we didn't see our daughter soon I won't be responsible for my words. 

"Is she okay?" Mia basically yells and the doctor looks up, her glasses sliding down the end of her nose. Instantly I knew she was judging us, and when Mia notices she is I know she will hit the roof. But right now she has so many things running through her mind. 

"I will discuss your daughters health after I've asked you a few questions" She says slowly. 

"No" I say sternly, the old woman's head snaps towards me and I glare at her. "We're not answering anything until you tell us our daughter is fine" 

"Yes Mr Lynch, Robin is fine, but she has mild concussion and a cut on her forehead. So she will be kept in over night" The wrinkled doctor says slowly, as if I was a dumb school kid sat in front of her having a detention. 

"So now those questions" She looks from both me to Mia as if she was analysing us. I reach over and grab Mia's hand, and for the first time today she laced her fingers with mine. I look over to her but she has her eyes firmly on the papers in front of the doctor. With her other hand she put between her lips, chewing the nail on her index finger. A habit she has had for years when she is nervous. 

"How long have you been married for?" She asks. 

"Four and a half years" I answer without hesitating. Yes we have gone through a rough patch recently but what couple doesn't? Even though we weren't together we were still married and I won't let my mistake ruin us again. 

"So you had Robin not long after you were married then?" 

"Yes we did" I'm not going to give this women detailed answers, I don't have to explain my family situation with a stranger. 

"Robin tells me she has two brothers as well, three children in such a short space of time" She begins to look through her notes again and Mia's hand grips onto mine even tighter, I think my blood circulation might be cut off soon. 

"Has it been a struggle?" 

"Why are you asking us this?" Mia pleads, her breathing changed and in any moment she will start to cry. 

"Just answer the question Mrs Lynch" She replies in a monotone voice. 

"Of course it's been a struggle, having three little ones under the age of five is going to be hard for any parent" Mia rushes her words and the wrinkled old lady starts to write something down on her page. 

"But that doesn't mean I've loved every single second of it" Mia breathes, her pen stops and she looks up at us both again. 

"I have reason to believe you weren't watching Robin when she fell?" 

"We took our eyes off her for two minutes, we were in the middle of a conversation with my sister" I answer before Mia can mumble her words up. "She obviously made her way over to the pool and before we could notice that she fell" 

"Which resulted in her head ingury" I could swear the old hag was trying to make us angry on purpose. She wants a reaction from us and I refuse to give it to her. 

"Yes, but nothing like this has ever happened with our children before" I say. 

"But it has Mr Lynch and we need to address the fact" 

"No, we need to address the fact that you won't let us see our little girl because you seem to think we're not good parents" She stays quiet by this point and I'm glad she's finally shutting her mouth. 

"Mia is a brilliant Mom. Yes it has been hard since I have to work all day, but she has done so well, so much better then some other Mothers out there who couldn't give a shit about their children" Mia squeezes my hand again because I just swore in front of our daughters doctor. 

"But she does, she loves the bones of our three and I love them too. Today we made a mistake by taking our eyes off Robin. For the past four hours we have been scared out of our minds wondering what is wrong with her and right now we don't want to explain how capable we are of being parents, we want to see our daughter because she is alone and wants her Mom and Dad" 

The room becomes silent and the doctor scans the paperwork in front of her one last time before looking back at me. Her eyes shift to Mia and then back at the paperwork. 

"Robin is in room 102, a nurse is outside ready to take you there. Sorry for keeping you" She nods and gestures towards the door. Mia stands up and is out the door in a flash. I mumble a thank you and follow my wife out the door. 

Already she is following a young nurse down the hallway, I run and catch up with them both. I wrap my arm around Mia's shoulder, though I don't think she even notices me because she's concentrating on the direction of our guide. 

Finally we reach a door at the end of hallway with a huge rainbow pictured on the front. I know for a fact Robin would've been smiling when she was given this hospital room. The nurse smiled and said her goodbyes. 

"Don't cry" Mia whispered to herself. "Don't cry"

"Hey" I turn her around and before she can open her mouth I crash my lips on hers. She gasps but I keep my grip on her and wait for her to kiss me back. She needs this as much as I do. Like I predicted she kissed me back slowly, I pulled her closer to my body and she rests her hand on my cheek. I pull away, letting her lip snap back and smile down at my wife. 

"You'll be fine" I promise her and she nods. 

"I love you" I whisper. 

"I love you too" 

"Let's go see our little girl" I smile and open the door.

The lights a dimmed and Robin is fast asleep in the hospital bed. She looks perfect, other then the small stitch in at the top of her head. Mia rushes over to the side of her bed and strokes our daughters hair lightly.

"Mommy?" She mumbles and rubs her eyes. Mia smiles and kisses Robin's cheek. 

"Daddy?" My little girl gives me a dazed smile and I walk over to the other side of her bed and she sits up slowly.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Tired" She yawns and the smile on Mia's face returns. Robin's okay, she's going to be okay.

"You scared Mommy" Mia cooed to our daughter. 

"Sorry" Robin whispers leaning into me further. 

"Don't be sorry baby, just be careful. Now go to sleep. Me and Mommy are going to get some coffee" Mia goes to speak but I hold up my hand. I tuck Robin safely into bed and drag Mia out with me. 

"I don't want coffee" She whines. 

"I know, but you are going to go home and get some sleep" I tell her. 

"You're joking" She swats my arm but I just wrap my jacket around her shoulders. "No Ross, I am not leaving her here" 

"Yes you are, because her Dad is going to sit with her all night and sing to her while she sleeps and get's better" 

"But-"

"No, you need sleep Mia" I kiss her lips lightly and she pouts. "You can pick us up in the morning, go and see our boys and give them a kiss from me" 

For once I wanted to be there. I wanted to stay with my daughter and make sure she knew I would be there for her. To make sure I would protect her. 

She nods and I kiss her again. I promise her everything will be okay. 

I will make sure everything will be okay for my family.