Chapter Sixteen

Ross helped me collect the kids from my Mom's, while I got them settled into their car seats my Mom and Ross stood talking in the doorway. I'm glad he was here today, I don't think could've been anyone else to calm me down. I hugged my Mom goodbye and I promised I would visit soon, now that I know what will happen in the next year I want to spend all the time I have left with her. I drove home with Ross following in his own car. When I told the children that their Dad was coming over Robin and Ryder's eyes lit up. Riley just smiled along even though he didn't understand.

When we arrived back home, I hope Ross still saw it as his home, nothing had changed since he left. When he went to make some drinks and snacks he had no problem finding his way around the kitchen. The layout hasn't changed since we moved in. When we switched on the movie Robin was captivated by the singing snowman and beautiful princesses. She climbed onto her dad's lap and snuggled into his chest. He smiled wrapping his arms around his little girl. I think he misses being here, because of the children. I cannot imagine not waking up everyday without seeing my kids, it's impossible, this must be hard on him. I had Riley in my arms and Ryder sat between us. By the time the film ended it was 7pm and Riley and Ryder were asleep.

"Thanks for letting me come over" He smiled walking towards the door. I held Riley on my hip as he head leaned on my shoulder. I could tell my children got their sleeping patterns from Ross, if I let them they would sleep all day.

"You can come over anytime, you know that" I smiled but Ross shifted on the spot looking down. "To see the kids obviously...they enjoyed seeing you"

"Yeah"

It was becoming more awkward by the second, he needed to leave before I completely embarrassed myself.

"I'll see you on Friday? When I pick the kids up" I nodded and he left. I watched as him leave I was reminded I was the one to feed, bath and put the kids to bed. On my own.

*Ross's POV*

"Where the hell have you been?" I'd not even walked through the front door and Jane's voiced filled the apartment. I walked into the kitchen where she stood tapping her foot on the floor with her hand placed on her hip.

"I was seeing the kids"

"What? It's not even your day to see them" Her eyes narrowed, I wasn't going to lie to the women but even when I tell her that I've been with Mia she's going to flip.

"Anne called, there was a situation and I needed to be there" Jane's face twisted into confusion as she stirred the pot of pasta in front of her. I think it's the only thing she can cook without burning it. But I won't mention that.

"Anne? Who's Anne?"

"Mia's Mom" I muttered. She stopped stirring and faced me again. Here we go.

"Why are you seeing Mia's Mom?"

"Mia was upset so I went around to make sure she's okay" I shrugged.

"What? So you disappeared without a word to see her?!"

"Yes" I answered truthfully.

"Do you not understand that you two aren't together anymore! The only times you need to see her is when you get your kids"

"It's not that easy Jane"

"It is easy! But you seem to have this obsession with her!" Her face flashed with anger and I'd never seen Jane like this before. I'd always know the sweet, kind, smart women from the office.

"Obsessed? That's going a bit far don't you think?" I laughed trying to lighten the mood. But I wasn't going to trust myself trying to sort this out right now, Jane is next to a draw of knives and I have no escape.

"To far? Maybe to far is leaving your current girlfriend to spend the day with your ex!!"

"I went to see my children Jane! And you have to understand Mia is always going to be around. She's the-"

"Mother to your children, yeah yeah I know!" She rolled her eyes and spooned two plate full of pasta for the two of us. As she handed me my plate there was a silence between us that I was to horrid to break. This is a touchy subject for Jane.

"Have you asked her about the divorce yet?" Jane looked up from her fork and her stare made me feel like a child again. Scared and vulnerable.

"No"'I answered simply. I'm praying she drops this.

"Are you going to?"

Obliviously not then.

"Not at the moment no" She dropped her cutlery as soon as the words left my mouth. It made me jump and she sat there staring at me with anger flashing in her eyes.

"Why not?"

"Because she had some bad news today"

"Bad news?"

"Her Mom has cancer, Mia only found out today" My heart ached for Mia. Why do bad things happen to good people? She's never done a single thing wrong and now she has to lose one of the closets people to her.

"So? Doesn't stop a piece of paper being signed" She shrugged and stabbed her food with her fork. I've never seen Jane this way.

"How could you say that?"

"What? Look her Moms dying, I'm sorry for her. But you two are done, finished. She needs to know that"

She can't be serious. Maybe I was finally seeing the real Jane.

"You can call the lawyers tomorrow" She smiled softly and stood up from her chair and climbed onto my lap.

"I love you, you know that right?"

"Yes" I looked away from the table to my girlfriend who I barely know. I think.

"Then you understand why I want you to be mine, I love you. And I don't want to share you" She whispered before kissing me softy. As we kissed slowly I couldn't figure out if I was kissing back because I love her or because I have too.

❤️❤️❤️