Chapter 20: I'm dead

When I woke up I was still under the sheets in Jake's warm embrace. One of his strong arms rested on my waist and the other was stretched out under my head. I looked at the clock. It was 2 in the morning. Time to get out. I turned around to face Jake and gently woke him up. I whispered:''Hey sleepy-head, it's 2 a.m. You might wanna go now.''

''Ugh, I don't want to, it's so nice here. Having you in my arms.'' He growled and tightened his grip on my waist. I blushed a little, but it didn't stop me from relishing the feeling of his long, warm fingers on my skin. It sent a tingling sensation up my spine. 

''I know it is, but if Brian finds you, you're dead.'' I whispered in his ear. She shuddered a little, probably from the sensation of my breath on his skin.

He quietly laughed and said:''OK, OK, I'll go. You sure you don't want me to stay?''

I gave him a serious look and he put his hands up in surrender:''Fine, but we're doing this again.''

I nodded and looked to the hall. Nobody, no sound, all quiet. I took his hand and led him through the house to the front door. He hit a table in the living room and moaned in pain quietly, but loudly enough for someone to hear him. Now I gave him an angry look. I knew he had to get out quickly or we would both be dead.

I opened the front door, we exchanged a small kiss and he hardly pulled away. I had to force him. I watched him as he disappeared into the darkness of the night. 

When I closed the door I heard a quiet, but deep voice:''Are you checking the neighbourhood for thieves?'' 

Dalton scared me and I jumped. Thankfully I didn't scream, which would wake all of my brothers up. 

I turned around.

''I just needed to get some air.'' I lied.

''You know, you do have a window in your room.'' Dalton raised an eyebrow.

''Yeah, but I woke up, I had to pee and I was thirsty. When I was done with that I felt like I needed to breathe the fresh night air, plus I heard like a thunder outside. You didn't hear anything?''

He shook his head and opened the light. His eyes were staring at me, scrutinising me, while I just stood there and smiled dumbly.

''I gotta go. I'm tired. Night.'' I ran past him as he murmured:''Night.''

On Monday I felt so bad, 'cause I had to stay away from Jake. Brian was around me all the time. I even felt like he was with me more than usual. Maybe he didn't trust me after what had happened at the party. Maybe he was suspicious. Anyway, it couldn't be good.

When I came home me and Brian watched a movie, or he did, anyway. I didn't pay any attention because all I could think of was Jake. We messaged each other talking about all kinds of stuff. When Brian asked who I was talking to I said Nicole and Eva. He was suspicious. That made it even harder. But if he had found out, I would've been dead for sure. 

When Dalton came home, he said he wanted to talk to me, so we went to his room. 'What could it possibly be now?'

When he said it, I froze.

''Who's the guy, Kailynn?''

'I'm dead.'