Chapter 28: Visiting Sally again

The weekend came and I went out with Nicky and Eva again. They met Jake and we spent some time together. Me and Eva met Greg and he brought his friend with him, which we ordered him to do. We couldn't leave Eva alone now, could we?

When we decided to split, it was four o'clock. Nicky and Greg went their way and Greg's friend went with them. Me, Eva and Jake went to the mall. Jake had to go home soon, because Mike needed him for something. Mike knew about us and he promised not to tell anyone. Jake trusted him, so I did too. 

Eva got picked up by her parents and I lied that Dalton was coming to get me. Again, I told nobody. I needed to do this alone. I wasn't scared. Not even after what happened the other day. I don't know if it was maybe the adrenaline I felt when I visited that place, that attracted me so much, or the rush I felt at keeping secrets that were so mysterious and drew to them. Besides, it wasn't night, it was day now. It was sunny outside, so I wasn't scared at all.

When I entered the block of flats again, there were less people there than the other day. In broad daylight, I could now clearly see that the colour of the concrete was grey. 

I knocked on the door and Sally was the one to open it this time. She widened her eyes and said: ''What are you doing here? I told you not to come here again. It's dangerous.''

Before I could say anything she closed the door in my face and I just stood there. A couple of seconds passed and then she opened it again and stepped outside, with a grey jacket in her hand and her shoes on.

''C'mon,'' She said as she shook her head. She led me down the stairs, to the parking lot, into a blue, old car. 

''Is this your car?'' I asked and she nodded right away. We sat in the car and drove off. 

''Where are we going?'' I wanted to know.

She didn't answer. We spent the rest of the drive in silence. 

When we stopped, I noticed we were at the beach. We stepped out the car and I followed her to a bench. We sat down and she said:''We can't talk there anymore. It's dangerous. So, wanna tell me what you're doing?''

''Well, I just wanted to talk to you.'' I said and looked at her. Her face was turned towards the water, her eyes scanning the vast blue ocean in front of us. Her blonde hair was a bit ruffled, a merit of the wind.

''Look, I told you, I can't help you,'' She said and shook her head, her gaze still lingering on the sea.

''I know, I just wanted to talk to you. To get to know you a little bit better.'' I decided not to push her and put pressure on her. I was ready to wait. Maybe with time she would agree to talk to Brian.

Sally sighed and looked at me. ''Kailynn look, I believe you're a good girl and that's precisely why I don't want to involve you into my world. Into this mess.''

I smiled and replied:''But that's the thing, I want to be pulled in. I need to be. It's the only way for me to learn the truth.''

''I am warning you, it's not what you think it is. It's way worse. If you really want to know everything, I'll tell you, but ... in the end, don't say I didn't warn you.'' She said and I could clearly see the sincere warning in her eyes.

I nodded not really knowing what she meant by worse. But I didn't really care. I needed to get to know her. I needed to know the whole story. I needed her to help me.

Sally started talking: ''So, my story begins with my mum's death. I was young and I didn't quite understand why she died. But I knew she would never come back again. It was hard for me.''

''Yeah, I know the feeling,'' I cut her off and she looked at me asking 'What do you mean?' with her eyes.

I told her about the fire and how it's been ever since.

''So you get me,'' She said.

''Yeah, perfectly,'' I replied.

''Well, anyways, I was saying ... oh, yeah, well, my dad took care of us after she died but he wasn't a good influence. He drank a lot and my brothers soon started to follow his lead. But as soon as I became older, you know, when I could take care of myself, he moved to another town; God knows where. He calls and sends some money here and there, but it's not like he's in our lives. After he left we went to live with my aunt, my mother's sister. She's OK, just a little grumpy as you've seen already. But she's a good person. Anyway, here comes the darkest part. What I'm about to tell you, it's a secret, at least in your world, so you can't tell it to anyone. OK?''

I nodded, intrigued.

''OK. My family has always been trouble, now that's no secret. But what we really do, what our real intentions are ... now that is one big secret.''

I stopped her by saying:''Wait. Don't tell me you're all vampires or werewolves?''

She laughed just a little bit and then continued:''No, it's not that bad, but it's bad. Are you ready?''

When I nodded she said:''My brothers run a drug trafficking ring.''

'What?' I thought, but out loud I said: ''That's illegal. If you get caught, you go to jail. For a long time.''

''I know. That's why it's a secret. It's not like I agree with them or help them a lot. I just do side business, like keeping it a secret, hosting their guests and sometimes ... helping them load shipments.''

I was staring at her and I knew it. I was more than shocked. I just couldn't believe it.

''Look, I don't agree with it, OK? I've told them that many times before and I've also told them I won't be a part of this for much longer. I will leave this place if I can. But for now ... I'm stuck here and I have to help them. I have no choice. And they're my brothers, I wouldn't rat them out. I just have to do it. I have to do stuff that they ask of me, otherwise ... it just wouldn't be good for me.''

''So, you're obliged to do it? To be involved in criminal, even though you want out of here?'' I asked her, trying to understand.

She nodded and sadly added:''But I don't think I'll ever get out.''

''What do you mean?'' I looked at her and she sighed.

Then she explained: ''Well, my sister tried. She tried to go to a school, but she wasn't accepted; she tried to get a scholarship, but she didn't get it; she even tried to get a job away from here but she gave up, because she couldn't get that either. When she gave up, she lost all hope and did the same thing as my dad. She drank herself to oblivion, even worse, she started doing drugs. Now she's mostly at home, while my aunt takes care of her and my brothers supply her with drugs and do them with her. They can control their urge, but she's weaker, she can't, she is addicted. And it's their fault. I can't believe it. I don't understand how they can do it. Keep ruining her like that. They're gonna kill her if they don't stop. So you see, she's another reason why I can't get out of here. I have to take care of her. I have to make sure she's OK. I'm the only one who can sometimes convince them it's bad for her and that she needs some rest. They offer me drugs too; they try to convince me to do it with them, but I never accept. I don't want to end up like her, but I probably will.''

I looked at her sadly and told her: ''Just because your brothers are criminals and your sister ended up as a junkie, doesn't mean you can't leave. You can go and free yourself of this. You can do it.''

''Yeah, but what about my sister and my aunt? I would be leaving them behind. Look, I don't think you understand.'' She closed her eyes and shook her head, while the wind played with her hair a little bit more.

But I did understand. More than she could've imagined.

So I said: ''Oh, but I do. More than you think. I've left somebody behind before. Somebody who loved me and cared about me. Somebody who would've given everything for me. My mum.''