Chapter 28

Lexa's POV

Clarke and I carry the panther she killed back to our makeshift camp. The others eye her catch, impressed. I guide us to set it down near a stump where it will be easier to cut up.

"Dang, that's a big cat. Who caught it?" Raven asks.

"Clarke killed it." I announce.

I know my pride of her shines through in my voice, but I could not care less. I have learned from Clarke that emotions are strength, as is allowing emotions to show.

Titus will not be happy once we are in Polis, he always taught me that they are weakness. After Costia, I believed him. But part of Clarke's beauty, her uniqueness, is her love. It is so evident in everything she says and does. She loves her people as if they are her family, and it shows. It is one of the things that drew me to her.

"Nice, Griffin. I see there's a demon rabbit too. That's pretty impressive after an hour of hunting. Though how much was hunting and how much was fuc-"

Octavia presses her hand to Raven's mouth, muffling her words. She glares at the warrior, who just gives her a cheeky smile in return.

"I will start cutting the rabbit, Heda." Lincoln says, bowing his head and grabbing it. He heads back to the wagon and pulls out some supplies.

"I can do the panther." Nix says.

I nod, "Very well. Clarke and I will get started on building a fire."

"What would you like us to do?" Octavia asks. I look over at her and Raven, who is freed from her grasp. Octavia is in what Clarke calls her "serious warrior mode".

"Relax." I order. Octavia frowns, but says nothing. Raven looks like she wants to protest. "We will be riding again tomorrow. We need you both not to be exhausted."

They sit on a fallen log that I think Octavia dragged over. Raven has exhaustion in her eyes and leans against Octavia, yawning. Octavia wraps her arm around her.

It is a private moment, so Clarke and I silently walk away.

"How long do you think it'll take until they get together?" Clarke questions.

"Hopefully before the end of this trip." I respond as I pick up fallen branches to burn.

"I wonder if we were ever like that." Clarke murmurs. "They're so obvious and I'm pretty sure everyone that looks at them can tell they like each other."

"We probably were." I admit. "I do not hide affection well, not do I want to with you. By now, all in the nations know that you are mine and I am yours."

Clarke's cheeks flush and she kisses my cheek. "You're so cute."

I feel myself blushing at her words and give her a quick kiss to hide my shyness.

We pick up sticks until we're both satisfied and then begin trekking back. Octavia and Raven are in the same place, but Raven is not leaning on her as much.

Clarke sets down her sticks and I make a ring of stones. I set up sticks into a tent shape, picking up dead leaves from the ground and tucking them in. Once I'm satisfied, I step back.

"How are we going to light it?" Clarke wonders aloud.

I begin describing the possibilities of how to light a fire in this terrain while Clarke listens intently. My words are interrupted by a crackle. I turn towards the sound and am shocked to see the fire has been lit.

"How...?" Clarke cocks her head adorably at the fire, confusion written on her expression.

"I honestly have no idea." Octavia says, eyeing Raven.

"I think things just spontaneously combust around me." Raven says, and I recognize that she is joking. "You might want to step back, Octavia."

"I'll risk being burned." I believe that Octavia was meaning to sound teasing as well, but it comes out sounding like a confession of love.

Clarke "aww"s and giggles as they both flush. "Oh how the tables have turned." She laughs.

"Clarke, there are no tables." I stare, confused. This must be another Skai Kru phrase. "How have they turned?"

Octavia, Raven, and Clarke begin laughing, but I do not take offense. I have learned through experience they find my lack of comprehension in their phrasing amusing.

"It just means that usually Octavia and Raven are teasing us for being cute together, and now I'm teasing them for being cute together." Clarke explains.

"Your phrasings are odd." I say.

"You're odd." Raven retorts.

"Mockery is not the product of a strong mind."

Raven and Octavia eye me incredulously. "Seriously? Clarke, your girlfriend sounds like a fortune cookie." Raven says.

"You've never even had one." Octavia reminds her.

"So? I have a good imagination."

"That's very fortunate." Clarke says in a joking tone.

Octavia and Raven groan.

"What is this fortune cookie?" Lincoln asks as he places the meat he has cut in the cauldron above the fire to cook.

"It's a cookie you eat and there's paper in it that tells you your fortune." Octavia explains.

"Raven has called me odd when your people rely on baked pastries to tell your future." I tease.

Clarke grins and Raven hoots. "I love when the Commander has a sense of humor. Dang you picked good, Griff. She's hot, strong, smart, and funny."

Clarke playfully narrows her eyes at her friend, but I can hear the serious undertone of her words that makes my heart melt in my chest. "She's mine. Hands off, Reyes."

Raven just mockingly sticks out her tongue at Clarke. "You know I don't have eyes for your girl."

"Yeah, you have eyes for someone else." Clarke grins, looking from Octavia to Raven. They both blush and look away from each other.

"I have eyes so I can see." Raven jokes, but I believe it is to cut through the awkwardness I have no doubt she is feeling.

Aww that was so cute and fun to write! Octaven for the win, even if they're both adorable dorks that are trying and failing to hide their feelings. So many jokes and puns... You get to see a bit of what my friends constantly have to put up with. And in case you didn't see my note last chapter, the story where Clarke comes down sooner has started! It's called The One Who's Fallen and it's on both Wattpad and archive of our own. Chapter three comes out tomorrow if you're interested! Thank you awesome people for reading and your comments, and stay awesome!