Chapter 49

Lexa's POV

Clarke and I walk up the wooden steps onto the platform where I will address our people. It is a beautiful night for a celebration, with the stars shining brighter than normal like they know their Skaikru is safer now. The cobblestone streets are lined with torches, every one of them lit and giving off such light that if I did not look up at the sky, I could be fooled into thinking it is day.

Our people have gathered, all going quiet as Clarke and I stand on the platform. This is the largest celebration I have ever attended. The roads are packed with people as far as I can see, with people from Polis, Arkadia, and neighboring villages. Clarke gives me a nod and I clear my throat, ready to begin.

"Tonight, we celebrate the growth of our Coalition." I say, knowing my voice can be heard without raising it. "Just last night, we welcomed SkaiKru into it as an official clan. This is a celebration not just for our new allies, but for the peace we will bring about together."

Cheers erupt from the people of Polis, and my lips twitches into a smile. I look at Clarke, loving how widely she's grinning at me. She squeezes my hand in hers. With my short speech over with, I walk off the platform with Clarke to make way for the musicians to set up. They dip their heads to us before continuing on their way.

Glancing around and seeing at our people intermixing is an amazing sight. Skaikru were of course invited to this celebration, so only a few essential people stayed back with the ones that could not come. Everyone looks so happy, like nothing in the world could knock them down from this feeling. It is infectious, and I cannot seem to stop smiling. This is what I work for. This happiness, this sense of calm. The comfort of knowing the next generation will grow up in a better world than I did.

We head over to Octavia and Raven, who have already been handed some alcohol.

"Don't drink too much," Clarke warns them. "I don't want you to have excuses when we win."

"How cute, she thinks they'll win." Raven smirks confidently.

"We'll just have to prove them wrong." Octavia sets down her drink on the nearest table.

"You want to start now?" I ask.

"Yes, though we could put it off if you are nervous." Octavia suggests, raising an eyebrow at us.

"No, we can start as soon as the music starts, which should be soon." I glance up at the platform as I speak, noting they are nearly set up.

We spend the next few minutes discussing what we can do on our travels when the music starts. I release Clarke's hand only to offer it to her again. She shakes her head, laughing gleefully as she takes it.

"So chivalrous." She murmurs in my ear, her tone laced with amusement.

The first song is a slow song, so we dance like we did the first time. Waltzing, I believe it is called. Clarke rests a hand on my waist and leads us through the moves. Octavia and Raven watch us, soft smiles on their faces.

Clarke's head gently bumps mine and I know she did that on purpose. It works, and I am completely focused on her presence once more. We take turns spinning each other and reveling being in each other's arms until the song ends.

I glance over to see that Octavia and Raven have been attempting to copy our movements (they are actually not doing bad). The next song starts, a fast tempo I have no idea how to dance to.

Raven and Octavia pull away from each other just enough so they can see each other's faces and exchange a smirk. They let go of each other completely and break out into dance moves I have never seen before. Their movements are fluid, yet sharp.

"How the... When did they learn how to break dance?" Clarke mutters.

"Break dance? How do they break dancing?" I murmur, knowing this is probably another Skaikru thing I do not understand.

"No, it's a type of dancing." Clarke explains.

Their feet slide across the uneven cobblestone road with ease. We watch them as they move their bodies with seemingly impossible ease in tandem. Their moves somehow work together flawlessly, as if they have been practicing this for years. After the song finishes, the people around Raven and Octavia, including Clarke and I, cheer for them. They take a bow before walking over to us.

"Will you admit defeat?" Octavia asks, wiping the sweat from her forehead.

Clarke meets my gaze and I nod in understanding at the emotion in her eyes.

"They can communicate with their eyes, O." Raven points out, nudging Octavia with her elbow.

"Ow. Yeah, I can tell." Octavia nudges her back, a playful glint in her eyes.

"Sha. We know when we are beat," I concede.

"Yes! Told you those moves would work. No one can resist the power of Octaven!" Raven pumps her fist in the air while Octavia just shakes her head with a find expression on her face.

It is one I know well, for I wore it whenever Clarke and I were together before we officially became a couple. They really do need to work this out and talk.

"So, Raven what do you think our question they have to answer should be?" Octavia asks, Raven lighting up instantly at her words and whispers in her ears. Octavia's face breaks out into a wide grin and she begins laughing. That is not a good sign for us. "Oh that is perfect. What if they don't elaborate?"

"We'll make them."

That is certainly not promising.

"Are we going to do this here?" I ask, hoping they will say no. Knowing them, it will be something sexual, which I do not want random people to hear about.

"Yup." Octavia has a sinister look in her eyes I don't like.

Ooh, a kind-of cliffhanger. Apologies for not really elaborating on the dance much, I realized while writing this I know very little about dancing and this was probably not a good idea... Oh well. Next, we'll get to Octavia and Raven's question! Thanks for reading and stay awesome!