Chapter 89

Clarke's POV

Everyone stays until after the aurora fades away. The guards are the first to go because they're all still exhausted after the long trip here where we didn't stop once. I wondered why the whole way here but I was too freezing to risk asking. According to Lexa, if we stopped for too long we would have frozen to death. Next time we come here I hope it's in the spring or summer.

Ryn stays for a little longer, leaving us with Raven and Octavia. Which I, of course, don't mind. They're good company, even though they like to bicker. Right now, they're debating over where a constellation is. They can't decide between it being on one end of the sky or another. Lexa whispers in my ear and points out that they're both wrong. She then shows me where its actual location is.

"You know the constellations?" I ask. I know she has an impressively wide variety of knowledge but this is something I didn't expect.

"And all of the stars they make up." Lexa admits shyly. "The previous Heda let me read an Old Earth book about astrology. It was not necessarily a passion of mine, but Costia loved looking at the stars." She looks almost nervous, like she doesn't like bringing up Costia when she's with me. Knowing her, she probably thinks it makes me uncomfortable or something.

I kiss her cheek, loving how she relaxes at that simple touch. It's a silent way we have of reassuring each other.

Meanwhile, Raven and Octavia's voices get louder.

"No, we can't see the Ark anymore there's no electricity for the lights to run on. It's space junk now, babe." Raven says.

"I'm just saying, a ghost of its brightness is right up there. Look! It looks like the Ark's still up there!"

"That's just a bright star. Based on my mental calculations, the rest of the Ark is over there." She points to another section of the sky. "You can't argue with my mad math skills, O."

Octavia grumbles and then whispers something in Raven's ear. Judging by the smirk that they're both wearing, I really don't want to know what they said. Raven and Octavia get up and head back toward the door without even saying goodbye.

They pause at the door and Raven turns back towards us. "If you hear screaming, don't worry it's just us."

They both walk back inside, laughing at our disturbed facial expressions. Lexa's blushing again and is looking up at the sky like stargazing can hide her red cheeks.

I snuggle further into Lexa's arms, shivering slightly in the cold. The fire has dwindled down to where it's practically just embers and we're not in the warmest clothing. It's not freezing but it's cold enough. Lexa gets up, gently untangling herself from me. I whine in protest and luckily Lexa comes back quickly. She drapes a heavy quilt over my shoulders and gets in the blanket, retaking her spot. This is much better. Plus, I have an excuse to share body heat with Lexa even though I don't need one. 

We look at the stars in silence, only broken when Lexa shows me a constellation or gives me a detailed description of a particularly interesting star that she points out. I think it's cute how excited she is about astronomy.

"One time I was reading a book and there was a picture of a tube that narrows with glass on both sides. A telescope, I think it was called." Lexa starts after I ask her to tell me a story. "I showed it to Costia and some of the other Natblidas (night bloods) and we were all fascinated. We scoured through heaps of junk and eventually found an old one that barely worked. We went to the glass maker and had him make us new lenses. He was happy to do it. It went well for a while. Costia loved it and we spent almost every night looking at the stars."

"You said it went well for a while." I say when she pauses. "What happened?"

Lexa purses her lips, hesitating. "Titus found out. He was not happy, to say the least. I already had a shaky relationship with him because of how he felt it was his duty to tell me that loving Costia was weakness and encouraging me to leave her. She once told me that he begged or ordered her to leave a few times. She never listened to him. The telescope was taken from us and Titus made us watch as a blacksmith melted down the metal. We were all horrified. It was just a telescope to look at the stars and he had it destroyed."

"Why did he destroy it?" I ask.

"To this day, I am not entirely sure. Perhaps it was to teach us that the things and people we love could disappear easily. Or to show his influence." Lexa responds. We sit in silence until I suddenly start giggling. Lexa gives me a concerned look, like she's worried that I've lost my mind. "Are you okay, Clarke?"

"Yeah. Just... I told you to tell a story and you chose to tell me this depressing story about how Titus took your telescope and melted it." I laugh.

"You did not specify what kind of story you wanted." Lexa points out, but she sees the humor in it.

"Nerd." I say, tapping her nose.

Lexa scrunches up her nose like she's insulted but my adoring smile wears her down. She quickly breaks out into a grin and kisses me. It quickly deepens and suddenly it doesn't feel as cold.

Her arms wrap around me, resting on my waist. I can't help the fleeting thought "I'm glad the others aren't here any more" running through my head. Then Lexa tilts her head and all coherent thoughts that aren't about her fly out of my head. I gasp and reach up, cupping her jaw.

I pull back, panting. Lexa whines adorably and chases my lips. I relent and peck her lips. "What do you say we move our late night plans up here?"

"We do not have any..." Lexa trails off and her eyes widen. "Ah. You want to make love under the stars?" I nod and kiss her quickly again. Her lips are so addictive. She grins, "Now who is the romantic?"

Before I can respond, she cuts me off with a kiss.

And now... They have their fun (wink wink). I almost feel sorry for the guards, they not only have to listen to Raven and Octavia bang, now they're going to hear Clarke and Lexa too! Thank you guys for reading and for your wonderful comments! Stay awesome!