Chapter 131

Clarke's POV

It's barely an hour in and Raven has already started complaining. On one hand, it's kind of annoying. On the other hand, I would worry more if she weren't talking or complaining.

"I forgot how sore my butt gets," Raven groans. She shifts in her saddle, uncomfortable. "How much longer?"

"A well," Lexa deadpans.

Raven whines out an impressively long "Nooooo..." until she notices Lexa's amused expression. "That was an exaggeration, wasn't it?"

"Yes, it was." Lexa admits readily, giving me a small smug smile that makes me laugh.

"That was rude." Raven huffs out but we all know she's not seriously annoyed. If she were, we either would never hear the end of it or get the silent treatment. "Seriously, though. How long are we traveling until we get to the next clan? And what even is the next clan we're going to?"

"Lexa told us this the other day. Were you not listening?" Octavia asks her girlfriend.

"I was probably distracted by your hotness." Raven winks.

"Speaking of hotness," I interrupt before they start talking about their sex life. "We're going to the Sankru."

"Also known as the Sangedakru," Lexa elaborates. "They are the Desert Clan. The town we are headed to first is three days away if we go our usual speed. We will stay there for two nights to regroup before continuing for another day's worth of riding."

"The desert?" Raven repeats. "Float me, I hate heat. It makes my brace stick to my leg. Being sweaty sucks."

"If it makes you feel any better, I love it when you're sweaty." Octavia replies.

"Oh yeah?" Raven grins.

"Yeah. I like how-"

"Let's keep it PG-13 please." I say.

"Fine, Princess." Raven snarks but I know she means it. "I think you need to get laid."

I sigh but don't argue. I really want to spend some time alone with Lexa, I could use it after everything we've gone through at Floukru.

"Lexa?" I prompt, hoping she can think of a better subject to discuss than that.

"I think everyone will like the town we are headed to. It is a small town and the only one for nearly twenty miles. The sky there is so clear you can see the stars easier than you could ever imagine. There is no light to full the stars, no clouds to blot them out."

"Sounds romantic," Raven exchanges an unsubtle look with Octavia.

"It is. I have only been once since I became Heda and only briefly. Though I would suggest that if you plan on sleeping outside, bring a blanket. Otherwise you will get sand in places that are very unpleasant." Lexa advises.

Raven looks my girlfriend over with a raised eyebrow and her expression goes dazed. I can't tell if she is fantasizing about Octavia or Lexa in the sand. Her girlfriend must be thinking the same thing, because she says something to snap her out of it.

"Rae."

Raven jolts and looks over at her. "Butt? I mean what?"

"Smooth," I remark.

"Shush, Griffin." Raven maturely sticks out her tongue at me before addressing Lexa. "So what's sand like? We saw some on the beach at Floukru but we didn't really get the chance to check it out."

"It is like little rocks that are somehow both smooth and rough. They fit between toes and are dangerously hot during the day. Do not step on them barefoot unless it is the early morning or at night. Even then, be careful of the creatures that come out when the sand is cool."

"That sounds lovely, Lexa. You're really selling it well." Raven says sarcastically.

To my delight, Lexa laughs. I melt at the sound, glad she's able to do so when not long ago she said goodbye to her sister.

"Mochof (thank you), Raven." Lexa shakes her head, a smile playing on her lips. "Sand is wonderful. It is not easy to explain."

"Alright, I'll just have to see for my own eyes how a desert really is. Is it really going to be super hot?" She asks with hope in her voice.

"Yes, it is. I told you all to bring shorts and such for a reason."

Raven groans. "Ugh."

"Babe, why don't you tell us a story or something?" Octavia says.

Our horses clomp through the sparse undergrowth and there are few trees and they are slowly becoming fewer and fewer. During this time, Raven takes it upon herself to try to explain to us the difference of gravity on here versus the moon. It's actually interesting, though she does use some big words I don't know the meaning of sometimes.

My favorite parts are when she uses analogies that I'm pretty sure she has actually thought a lot about. Like what would happen if we jumped up and down normally on the moon. Or what would happen if someone were to try to play golf on the moon. Or theoretically what could make use move forward easier using the moon's gravity. Raven thinks a webbed suit would be cool, like becoming a "human flying squirrel".

She stops talking when she sees a lodge in the distance. "Are we headed there?"

"Yes we are." Lexa answers. "I know the owners, their daughter used to live in Polis. That is where we will be spending the night. They have a few spare rooms, or you could set up a tent outside if you would prefer that. This is where we will stock up on food and water before heading into the desert."

We stop our horses at the small stables they have near the house with a single horse currently in it. We leave the guards to brush them down and take bare of them while Lexa, Octavia, Raven and me head inside.

Lexa greets the two men inside with a wide smile, shaking their hands. "It is good to see you again. How is your daughter?"

"She is well and enjoying life in TonDC. She has been helping them rebuild stronger than ever," the burlier man declares proudly.

"Her assistance is undoubtedly greatly appreciated." Lexa says and the men smile happily. "Do you have everything I wrote you about?"

Next chapter, more traveling! And whoa, the Desert Clan is next! Who's going to get sunburn first, I wonder? Mwahahaha. Thank you all for reading and for your lovely comments! Stay awesome!