Chapter 44

Lexa's POV

"With the mark on Wanheda, Skaikru is officially the thirteenth clan." I say, my voice carrying around the room with ease. "The celebration to welcome them to the Coalition will take place tomorrow night." I silently dismiss them with a wave of my hand. Clarke hangs back, and I swallow down my concern for now. "Titus," I call as he tries to leave. "Stay. We have something to discuss."

He dips his head, nervously not meeting my eyes. The guards close the doors after everyone else leaves, only Titus, Clarke, and me remaining.

"Sha, Heda?"

I stride slowly down the stairs, stopping in front of him. He still will not meet my eyes. Though he is taller than me, I feel as if is tower over him, especially when he cowers like this.

"I understand you do not like or trust Clarke, but there is no reason for you to harm her because of your paranoia." I say coldly.

"I do not know what you are talking about." Titus denies.

"You know damn well what I am talking about, Titus. You have not pressed that hard with the branding iron since Nia and Azgeda were brought into the Coalition." Titus opens his mouth to argue but I cut him off. "No, Titus. You have been loyal to me for years, but you will not harm Clarke. Do so again and I will put your head on a spike outside Polis' gates. Is that understood?"

"Sha, Heda." Titus at least has the decency to look ashamed, but I have a feeling this does not mean he will warm up to Clarke anytime soon.

"Gon we (Leave)." I growl and he scurries away like the cowardly rat he has been acting like. With that done with, I turn to Clarke. "Are you alright?"

"I'm okay, yeah. I'm sorry about Titus."

I frown, "Why would you apologize? If anything, I should be apologizing. I did not think he would sink so low."

"I can tell he's been a good ally. I'm just sorry I'm messing all that up."

I blink, my mouth opening slightly in surprise at her words. Once I find my voice, I take her hands. "Clarke, there is no need to apologize. This is not your fault. Titus did not like me with Costia as well, but he at least tried to be nice and subtle about it then. Whatever his problem is with you, it's his problem, not yours."

"Mochof." Clarke kisses my cheek gently, the loving look in her eyes as she pulls away making my heart melt. "He did not like Costia?"

"Sha. When Titus and I were alone, he would try to convince me to 'set her free' saying my love would prove deadly to her in time. He was correct in that respect, which made it easier for me believe the other things he had told me about love, as well."

"Hodness laik kwelnes (love is weakness)." Clarke murmurs.

"Sha. But that is not of importance right now. Are you sure you are alright?" I glance at her still-exposed arm, the brand showing.

"I do know a little about medicine." Clarke says in a teasing tone, and the look in her eyes convince me she is not in too much pain.

My body relaxes and I lead her to the seat I have still left next to my throne.

"As do I." I tell her, the corners of my mouth turning up in a small smile. "Though I have mainly patched up my own wounds, and I am uncertain what to do with a burn."

Clarke gives me the steps, ordering me around quietly, as I try to follow each one. There is not everything I need in the room, but I do not want to leave her side for now. I make do with what we have in here, putting on gauze I brought and wrapping her arm. I press a kiss to her forehead as I finish and pull away.

"Lexa." Clarke says sternly, rising.

I have not moved away, so we are so close I can feel her breath on my face.

"Sha, what is it? Does it hurt?" I ask worriedly.

"A little, but it's much better now, and that's beside the point. Lexa, you're making your guilty expression." I have a specific expression for when I feel guilty? "This wasn't anything I didn't agree to, alright? This isn't your fault, either."

I sigh, knowing she is right. "Yes, I know logically it is not my fault, but I still feel responsible."

"You're not, Lexa." She says sternly before her voice softens and she takes my hands. "I don't blame you for it. For any of it anymore. You've done so much for me and my people when you didn't have to. So thank you."

My mouth opens slight and my eyes widen. Is she talking about...? We have not spoke on the subject in so long, and I did not want to push her by bringing it up. Clarke has not explicitly stated she forgives me for it, but... I have been hoping it is implied.

"Do you mean..." I swallow, hoping I am not wrong about this. If she is not ready to talk about it, I would really hate to bring it up and possibly start an argument. "Do you mean you forgive me for leaving you at the mountain?"

"You've been forgiven for a long time." Clarke murmurs earnestly. "I just haven't said it." Her eyes meet mine. "I do understand why you did it. I always have. And I know if I were in your position, I would've done the same thing. I think... I think that's what I was so angry about after it happened. It hurt me so much, but it's something I was and am willing to do."

With that burden from my shoulders, I feel so much lighter. I cannot resist leaning in and kissing her gently.

"So does that mean you are willing to leave me at the mountain next time?" I tease when we pull back for air.

Clarke laughs, "Definitely not. Now I know what it's like to live without you, and I never want that again."

With that she leans in again, and I happily lose myself in her.

Aww fluff! I was writing and realized that (well, as far as I can remember) Clarke never really told Lexa she forgives her for leaving her in the mountain, so I thought I'd remedy that. Thank you all for your support and lovely comments, and stay awesome!