Chapter 120

Lexa's POV

We push forward, moving through the cave systems in the way we drew on the map. Clarke and I lead the way and she is our designated map reader, telling us where to turn. I am more than grateful for her directions, for when I read maps I like to make sure I know where we are after every few turns. Clarke, on the other hand, is confident and when I mentally calculate where we are, I keep being impressed because she is always correct.

We have been in only tunnels so far and have met no others, no pirates or any ordinary people staying here.

"We're approaching the first cave," Clarke remarks quietly. She stops and turns around to look at us. "It's a gathering area mostly for the citizens who aren't pirates, so we should be okay. Lets just play it safe and be ready. Don't attack unless we are attacked, got it?"

We nod. As we keep going, it becomes easier to tell how close we are to the cave because we can hear the talking and laughter coming down the tunnel. I put my hand on my sheathed dagger, deciding not to pull out my swords. If I need to fight, I will use that instead. I do not want to scare them.

The others follow my example and put their hands on their smaller concealed weapons instead of their swords or in Raven's case, Boomy.

Clarke and I are still at the front and we are the first to enter the cave. Not many notice us at first until the others filter in behind us. The talking dies down almost immediately, and the laughter stops even quicker.

People look at us with fear in their eyes. I know that we are a sight they probably never expected to see. Their Heda, their Clan Leader, and others in their caves. And I know we look even more scary because all of us have blood on us, though very little of it is our own.

One woman stands, her posture rigid but her expression calm. I make a mental note to remember her face, she is evidently an important person.

"Heda," she greets. "May I ask what you are doing here?"

"We are here because the pirates here have been brought to my attention by Luna. I am here visiting, so my companions and I offered to assist them." I explain.

"Companions?" Raven grumbles.

"Do you plan on wiping us all out?" To her credit, her voice does not shake but I see the fear on the others faces grow to terror.

"Of course not," I frown. "It is the pirates that I want gone. I am aware that there are people who are not pirates and stay here. I do not attack those who do not attack me."

The woman nods, still stoic but I can see the relief shining in her eyes. "Mochof (thank you). You are not the monster Pakstoka says you are."

"We should go, we still have a ways to go, Lexa." Clarke says.

"Alright. We will be back afterwards." I say. "What is your name?"

"Sekai."

There is a soft gasp behind me and Nakai rushes past us. "Sekai?"

"Nakai," the woman's face lights up with happiness.

They hug and pull back. "I heard you were here." Nakai says. Ah, so this must be her sister.

"We can talk later," Sekai murmurs. "Now go be a hero."

Nakai grins and comes back to us. "That is my sister. Thank you for allowing me to come along, it has been years since I have last seen her."

"Will you be okay to fight or will you be distracted thinking about Sekai?" Luna asks the question I was thinking.

"I will be alright," Nakai promises.

"Good. Clarke?" I prompt.

"The tunnel we need should be just over there." She says, pointing.

I see what she means and we head for there. People around us part, most looking at us with hesitance and some with hatred in their eyes but I pay them no heed. They will not dare to do anything here, it is crowded and full of innocents, not to mention there are many children in this cave.

"Keep your ears open," I warn Nakai and Luna, who will still be bringing up the back.

We walk through the tunnel, following Clarke's lead. We head through a few more caves and somehow, do not see any pirates. Perhaps they are all headed to Pakstoka to guard him. The caves often have citizens and while they look scared of us, none of them say anything to us.

Luna and Nakai report to us that once we leave the caves with citizens, they can hear them all leaving the cave to go to another. I look at Clarke's map and determine they must all be heading to the largest cave, a gathering place. It must be a plan they made in case this place was ever invaded.

"We should head to where they are afterwards." I say. "We should offer to have them escorted back to the city."

"If I know my sister, she is not going to want to go back and leave this place. Neither will the others. You are correct, we should offer but I do not expect many to say yes. They will probably want to continue living their lives here, just not as pirates." Nakai says.

"Very well," Luna says. "I can offer to have them become a Floukru town."

Nakai nods, "That is a good idea."

It is quiet for a few moments. "Guys, we're close. This is next cave the last one before the tunnel to Pakstoka." Clarke warns.

"We should expect many guards." I tell them.

We continue moving and pull out our weapons when Clarke tells us we are very close to the cave. She rolls up the map and puts it into her pocket before pulling out her swords.

Clarke and I lead them out of the tunnel we are in into a cave the size of my bedroom in Polis, filled with pirates.

Next chapter, more fighting! And then... Pakstoka. Thank you all for reading and for your amazing comments! Stay awesome!