Chapter 74

Lexa's POV

My ears are ringing from the explosion so I can barely hear a thing aside from screaming, though it sounds as though I am hearing it from underwater. I am still on the ground, taking in everything as my eyes flit over what is happening.

I do not notice that Clarke is trying to get my attention until she shakes my shoulder. I look into her eyes and the world snaps back into focus.

"Lexa, what should we do next?" She asks, helping me up.

I look around again. Octavia and Lincoln are trying to stop Raven from dancing around too much because she still has grenades and Octaven strapped to her. She only stops when Octavia threatens to force them to abstain from sex for a week. Well, she did not put it quite like that. She said something about how she will make Raven get "familiar with her own hand for a week". Raven stops dancing immediately at that, paling at the threat.

From the smoke and the rubble a man appears, walking out from the most intact house. He has many weapons attached to him and looks bored as he strides towards us. I get into a fighting stance and he just smirks.

"Ah, I wondered if you would show up. Hello, Lexa. Clarke." How does he know our names? I do not recognize him. "Oh put down your weapon, Raven." I glance back to see a shaken Raven lowering Octaven from where it was pointing at him. "Now. Let us have a civil conversation."

"We have nothing to say to you." I remark, glaring at him.

"Must we always resort to violence?" He glances at my swords, which I have not lowered. "Very well. I have a few conditions to fighting you. Obviously, my men are in no state to fight." He gestures around him, where his warriors are all dazed or knocked out or missing a limb or dead. "I will fight you, Lexa. And because I want it to be a fair fight, I will allow you to fight alongside your pet."

"My pet?" I ask, confused. I do not have a pet.

"Yes." He waits for a moment for me to get what he is saying. When it is obvious that I do not, he rolls his eyes. "Clarke. She is your pet."

"She is no pet." I growl, trying to subtly take deep breaths so I do not let anger control me. "Clarke belongs to no one besides herself."

"Sure she is."

"So what's your plan here?" Clarke asks, looking really annoyed. I re-holster my swords so I can hold her hand, hoping it will comfort her. She does relax slightly.

"Why, to further prove my prowess in battle. To defeat the Commander herself and her... mate simultaneously. The clans will know that you, Lexa, are no longer the strongest among them. They will hear how you two girls failed." He spits out girls like it is an insult, which only makes me want to kill him more. "They will bow to me, turning their back on you. I will become the Commander and rule everything!" He cackles, in a way that is way more insane sounding than when Raven is tinkering or playing with her explosives.

"He is delusional." I say to Clarke, not bothering to lower my voice. "That is not how our politics work. If I am to fall in battle, a Natblida from Polis will take my place."

Clarke smacks the back of my head just hard enough to get my attention and to hurt a bit. "Lexa, I told you. No talking about your death."

"It is inevitable, Clarke." She just smacks the back of my head again, making me whine in protest.

"Enough! You two fools will fight me. Whoever dies first loses and has to forfeit this battle. Your guard dogs may not interrupt or help in any way. Do we have a deal?"

I glance at Clarke, who looks nervous but nods when I meet her gaze. I turn back to him. "Yes. I am going to do one thing first."

Ignoring his protests, I turn to Clarke, cupping her jaw. "Lexa?" She murmurs.

I lean in and kiss her gently, long enough for her to relax and then I rest my forehead against hers. "We can do this. We are amazing fighters, especially when we are together."

Clarke squeezes my hand and lets out a deep breath. "Alright. Lets do this."

We pull away and unsheathe our swords. He grins and pulls out his swords, which are really cool looking katanas, the kind of sword that Clarke stole from that one warrior if I am not mistaken. Except these have blades coming from both ends of the handle. When we kill him we will take his swords and hang them up to remind us of our victory.

We get into a stance, and I almost do not notice people (civilians, by the looks of them) cautiously emerging from the buildings to watch us fight. They form a large ring around us, most looking at Clarke and I with a hopeful expression. Raven, Octavia, and the guards are at the front of the crowd.

I turn my attention to back where he is spinning his blades, trying to look intimidating. Clarke and I look into each other's eyes for a moment and a new wave of determination comes over me. We start advancing towards him, our feet moving practically in unison, despite us not even trying to do that.

He stops twirling his weapons and focuses. Clarke and I are on either side of him, both of us carefully avoiding getting too close. He lashes out, attacking Clarke first. He must see her as the weaker one, so he is trying to take her down first. I stay near them in case Clarke gets in trouble, but she is an incredible fighter. She easily dodges his swings, attacking back whenever she sees an opening. She manages to nick his side and he cries out angrily. The first blood has been drawn.

Fight! Fight! Fight! Remember there will be no clexa or main character deaths unless they're bad guys, clexa will just romantically kill people together. It's the perfect date idea! Not really, I wouldn't advise murder as a first date. Anyway! Thank you all for reading and for your lovely comments! Stay awesome!