Chapter 36

Clarke's POV

I spin around as the door bursts open, my hand on my dagger on the holster around my waist. I clutch the handle, ready for a fight. I blink, surprised when a dozen or more kids come rushing in.

They all let out a cheerful "Heda!" when Lexa comes into view and gather around her. They're close enough to her to touch, but far enough away to respect her personal space.

There's a smile on Lexa's face I've never seen before and it's so incredibly beautiful it takes my breath away.

A moment later, a frazzled looking woman runs in, panting. She bends over, putting her hands on her knees, trying to catch her breath. She sees the kids gathered around Lexa and lets out a few choice quiet words.

"Moba, Heda (Sorry, Commander)." The woman lets out, standing again when she's breathing easier. "They heard you are back and got away from me."

"Do not apologize, Serana. I know how the Natblidas are." Lexa looks down at the kids surrounding her, her hands on her hips and that adorably gentle smile still on her face. "Now what did I tell you all about running away from your caretaker?"

"Not to do it again. Moba, Heda." The kids chorus.

"Good. Now, let me see if you remember your training. Chit bilaik fou bakon kom hedplei? (What are the four pillars of being a Commander?)"

"Heda, daunde laik thri (Commander, there are three)." A blond haired boy, older than most of the others, says.

"I am glad you remember the number I have taught you. However, I am adding one. Aden, list the three I have taught you."

"Sha, Heda." The blond boy dips his head to her. "Noun, fiyanes, en uf (wisdom, compassion, and strength)."

"En hodness (and love)." Lexa adds.

The kids look at her in confusion and I smile at her, even though I know she can't see me. I begin walking closer, making sure I'm close to Lexa but not too close to the kids. We've never met so I don't want to make them uncomfortable.

"Heda?" Aiden asks hesitantly. "We have been taught hodness laik kwelnes (love is weakness)."

"Hodness nou laik kwelnes. Hodness laik uf. (Love is not weakness. Love is strength.)" Lexa states, looking them all in the eyes. "Love gives us something worth fighting for. It could be a person, a friend, a group of friends, your clan, all the clans. It makes us want to fight for those we love, which in turn gives us strength when we would usually fail."

"This is what I have been telling you, Heda." Serana says in a teasing tone, but there's tears in her eyes. "I am glad you finally learned it."

"You have Clarke to thank for that." Lexa says, gesturing towards me. I grin at the fact she can tell exactly where I am without even looking.

The kids turn to me. A smaller one walks up to me, stopping a foot away from me. "Yu laik Clarke kom SkaiKru? Yu don kep klin Heda. Mochof (You are Clarke of the Sky People? You saved the Commander. Thank you)."

"Pro. Ba Heda don kep klin ai fos (You're welcome. But the Commander saved me first)."

"You speak good Trigedasleng." Serana remarks.

"Thank you, I had Indra and Octavia teach me when I was trying to get Lexa back from Nia."

"You speak it better than I expected, hodness." Lexa says, giving me the soft smile that makes me melt inside.

"Are these the Night Bloods you told me about?" I ask Lexa. The kids look younger than I expected.

"Sha. Do not let their youth fool you, they are some of the fiercest fighters in Polis."

The kids smile bashfully at that. "Mochof, Heda."

"I'll have to watch them train sometime." I suggest. I know it's something Lexa's been dying to do, and there's no way I could deprive her of that when her smile is so big around them.

"That would be lovely. However, you must excuse us. We were trying to find Ontari when they ran off." Serana apologizes.

Ontari? But that's the Night Blood that was found in the Azgeda under Nia. Oh that's not good.

Lexa's happy expression turns worried. "Very well. Take whoever you need to find her. I would like to speak to her tomorrow."

"Of course. Now come, let's go find her." Serana ushers the kids out of the room, shooting Lexa and I an apologetic smile.

The door closes behind them after the kids chorus out their goodbyes.

"I hope they find Ontari soon." Lexa murmurs, her smile falling from her face. "Who knows what she had to go through under Nia's rule. There is no telling what she is capable of."

"I'm surprised no one's tried to kill her yet." I say and Lexa looks at me in confusion. "Our people seem to like to take out whatever could be a problem in the future."

"Our people?" Lexa asks, smiling. "I love when you refer to them as that. Yes, we do usually do that. However Night Bloods are special and treated with the utmost respect. Unless they go insane or prove they will murder or go on a rampage, no intentional harm will come to them from our people. They all have the potential to become the next Heda. The killing of Night Bloods in the way you speak has not happened often. I have seen it done once to a young boy who thought he was not the next Heda, but a god with power over life and death. Sadly, we only found out after he had killed another Night Blood in the night. Some are not made to become Commander. There have been many who could have been, but instead chose to leave the life of the Night Blood behind and escape Polis. Sometimes I can tell who they are and I send them away myself."

"That's heavy. Some people go insane just being a Night Blood?"

"None have since I became Heda. I take care of the Night Bloods as if they are my family. There have been other commanders who have not been so good with them."

I take Lexa's hand. "Well from what I've seen, you're amazing with them."

Lexa kisses my cheek, "Mochof."

A throat clearing interrupts us and we turn toward the door, where a blushing guard is looking anywhere but at us. "Apologies, Hedas. The meeting will begin soon."

"Thank you." Lexa says and he nods stiffly, turning back to guard the door, which he has left open.

"Did he just say Hedas? Not Heda?" I ask.

"He did. You are being recognized as my partner and my equal. Though it is only your strength that makes others recognize that."

"Flattery will get you everywhere." I kiss Lexa quickly. "Now let's go to the meeting."

Because of the amount of Trigedasleng and coming up with Serana's name (bonus points if you can guess where I got it. Hint: it's a videogame), this chapter took me a bit longer than usual. However, it was incredibly fun to write and the Night Bloods will definitely show up again in the future! Also, my teacher saw my laptop background (which is an amazing picture of Lexa on her throne looking gay as hell) and said "Is that what you want to be when you grow older? Because I could see you doing that." And it was honestly the best compliment I've ever gotten in person. Thank you all for reading and stay awesome!