Chapter 43

Clarke's POV

I stop Lexa from explaining exactly what we have to do and what will happen at the meeting after I've heard the same thing from her six times. I know she's worried and nervous. To be honest, I am too. There are endless possibilities of how tonight can end, and not all of them are good.

I reassure her as best I can. "I'll stay by your side no matter what, hodness. This may not even go badly. The other leaders showed no sign that they didn't like the idea of Skaikru becoming the 13th clan."

Lexa looks down between us at our entwined hands, taking a deep breath. "I know. There is just so much that could go wrong."

"Then we'll prepare ourselves for the worst. That way we'll be ready for whatever happens."

"Sha. Mochof, Clarke." Lexa seems more relaxed, and she even gives me a small smile as she looks back up at me. "You are good at calming me."

"Well, I cause you so much worry that I should at least know how to rid you of it." I say in a teasing tone, causing her smile to grow.

"I cannot argue with that logic. You have caused me a great deal of stress in the time I have known you. I do not regret a thing." Lexa murmurs, kissing my nose gently. Float me, she's so adorable.

"Me neither." I kiss her slowly, feeling her relax further in my arms. I pull back, sending a wistful glance at our bed. "Come on, we have to go."

Lexa sighs, her breath mixing with mine. She takes my hand and we head to the throne room, and I'm sure almost everyone is already there. When we pause outside of the doors, Lexa opens her mouth. Knowing she'll try to explain everything again, I lean in and press a kiss to her cheek.

"I know what I have to do, ai hodness. Now go, I will wait for my cue."

Lexa pulls away from me, nodding before striding confidently through the double doors leading into her throne room. There is maybe thirty seconds of silence coming through from the other side, but it feels like an eternity. Finally, the best singer in all the clans (well, Lexa argues that I am, but I doubt that I can top this incredibly beautiful voice) begins the anthem. I wasn't aware the Coalition has an anthem until yesterday, when I heard Lexa was humming something. I almost laughed when she told me it's called "Take A Life With Me". It's very fitting for our lives, and both Lexa's and the Ark's culture.

The guards hold the door open for me and I march in. My eyes immediately go to Lexa's, and I know they probably shouldn't because this whole first part is supposed to be me showing that I (well, for lack of a better word) submit to her. My eyes stay on hers, ignoring everyone else in this room until I am at the foot of the steps. She's standing in front of her throne, her hands clasped behind her back. She looks so stoic, but her eyes give away her emotions, as they always do. We give each other a slight nod as I walk forward.

I take my eyes off hers and drop to my knees, bowing my head to her. I make good use of the advice Lexa gave me earlier, making sure my knees don't collide painfully with the hard floor.

The noise of clanking armor and swishing fabric under the sound woman still singing the anthem tells me that everyone (beside the singer) has bowed to Lexa. I glance up at her to see that her gaze rests solely on me, her mouth slightly open and adoration and love in her eyes.

Lexa orders everyone to stand, and walks down the steps to grasp my arm and pull me up. This isn't something she told me would happen, but I'm guessing she's seeking comfort and reassurance in my touch. She lets go a few moments after I'm standing, going back to her spot in front of her throne and next to a very displeased looking Titus. I go to the side of the room as Lexa told me, far enough forward to stand out, but far enough back to not block anyone's view. The singer finishes the anthem and bows her head to Lexa.

"Today we welcome Skaikru into our midst." Lexa states, glancing calmly around the room. Her voice is not what I would consider loud, but it holds a power that is undeniable and certainly everyone can hear her and is listening. "Does anyone object to this?" Her tone makes it obvious she won't listen if anyone does, and no one speaks up. I'm not certain if it's because of her tone or if no one actually has an objection. "Then we will begin. Clarke kom Skaikru, legendary WanHeda, and the slayer of the tyrant Nia will take the mark of the Coalition." I notice nods of approval from the other leaders. "Clarke, do you accept the mark?"

"Sha, Heda." I dip my head to her, and I can tell through the twinkle in her eyes that she is pleased with my words (she told me earlier that I only have to say yes).

"Fleimkepa." Lexa says.

Titus moves to the person keeping the fire in the room going, who hands him what Lexa's told me is the branding stick. The end of it is white and red as he approaches me. He looks entirely too pleased to be doing this. I'm wearing my armor, so I roll up my sleeve, looking him dead in the eyes.

Titus presses it to the skin on my arm with what feels like an unnecessary amount of force. I keep my eyes on his, not allowing myself to so much as flinch as white-hot pain shoots through my arm. The sound of sizzling and the sickening smell of my burning flesh fills the air, and Titus pulls the stick back. I think he's disappointed I didn't scream in pain.

Lexa steps down from her throne, extending her hand to me. We grasp forearms, and I can tell Lexa's being careful and trying not to touch my sensitive burned skin.

And with that, the ceremony is done.

Wow, I guess I'm saltier than I thought... I wasn't going to make Titus this much of an ass, but it seems fitting. Thank you all for reading and your amazing comments! Stay awesome!