Chapter 142

Lexa's POV

Raven and I make our way through the market, towards where the blacksmiths are.

The sun has begun to come out, casting a gentle light on the town. More people are up and walking around than before we got the scrapmetal. No one comes up to us, but not because they do not want to greet me or anything. I would bet that it is Raven's happy expression and swinging tranquilizer gun.

She seems almost giddy, which is due in part by the fact we are on our way to have me make Clarke and my rings. The other part is due to the large gun she is holding. Raven hums as she walks beside me, her arms swinging like normal, except she has the tranquilizer gun in one of her hands.

I try not to let it show how much it concerns me to see her waving it around like it is a toy. It is Raven, and she is relatively careful when it comes to others' safety, at least more careful than she is about her own safety, but still I worry.

We head up the steps to a blacksmith's. The forge master's eyes widens when he sees me and he bows his head in respect.

"Heda. Welcome to Sankru." He says, his head still bowed. It is only when I gesture for him to stand back up that he stands at his full height. "What brings you to my forge?"

"I would like to use it for today, if that is alright with you." I say.

The man hesitates. "May I ask what for, Heda?"

"You may. It is so I can make a ring for Clarke kom Skaikru."

His eyes light up. "You intend to ask her to be yu houmon (your wife/partner)?"

"Sha (yes)," I confirm. "I would appreciate it if you would not tell anyone of this until you hear about our engagement. If she says yes."

Raven elbows me. "She will."

The man raises an eyebrow at Raven's familiarity with me. "You may use my forge. Do you need me to stay here and teach you how to use it?"

"No mochof (thank you)." I say politely. "Costia was a blacksmith and she taught me everything I need to know. But if it would make you more comfortable, you are welcome to stay."

"No, I will go run a few errands while you are here. Everything you need should be here. I wish you luck with Clarke." The man says, grabbing a few things off of a nearby table before leaving.

"Oh my god, that mask thing is awesome." Raven gasps out.

"It is until you have to wear it. It protects the face from the heat of the forge and from fumes but is also heavy." I say.

As Raven remarks on some cool things the blacksmith is making, I put on the mask, gloves, and apron. She snickers when she sees me.

"You look like a monster." Raven laughs.

I roll my eyes fondly and walk over to the forge, gently stoking the flames. Sweat begins to form on my skin and some runs down my back.

"Raven," I say. "Get us some water. We are in the desert using a forge. We need to keep hydrated."

Raven gives me a two fingered salute. "Yes ma'am."

"Leave your gun." I call when she starts to leave.

Raven grumbles and I hear the sound of something being set on the floor before she walks away.

I focus back on my task, grabbing a pan-like dish and resting it over the coals. The bottom of it reddens slightly, evidently used to being over the forge. I set the scrap metal I bought in it.

Instead of watching and waiting for it to melt down, I begin taking out what I know I will need and set it down on a nearby, conveniently placed table. By the time I have everything out, the metal has begun to melt. I grin, glad that it seems to be working out well so far.

Raven returns and sits down on the nearest chair after putting down two large jugs of water.

"I forgot how heavy water is," Raven groans.

She does not seem to mind my lack of a response and instead watches me intently as I attend to the forge. I wait until most of the scrap metal has melted before I use a ladle to scoop out about half of it. I pour it into a small mold for a perfectly straight piece. The molten metal hisses as it begins to cool, steam nearly blocking my vision through the mask. I wipe away the condensation on the glass part.

Once I feel it has cooled enough, I take out the metal, carefully handling it with the thick gloves. I lay it over a cylinder and grab the mallet. I begin to pound the metal, forcing it to slowly become circular. Despite not having practiced smithing in years, it seems I am still good at it and the ring turns out relatively good.

I take a quick break to drink water after that before grabbing the ring. It is a beautiful gray, almost ash colored. I grab tongs and carefully hold it over the forge. I pull it back before it can melt or soften too much. I set it on the table and grab the chisel-like scoring tool. I press it down on the inside of the ring, making diagonal lines both ways at roughly uniform intervals.

With that done, I pull out the jewels I plan on putting in the rings and place them on the table. I study them carefully, glad that they all seem to be approximately the same size. I reach over and grab a hand crank with a small diamond end. I look at it closely, and put it next to the jewels, trying to see if it will work. I nod, satisfied and get back to work.

Man, this was a research intensive chapter! I pretty much made an educated guess on how to make a ring and I'm pretty proud of it, but I don't know how accurate it really is... Next chapter, MORE ring making! Also, this book just hit 200k views! That's absolutely amazing!! Thank you for reading and for your lovely comments! Stay awesome!