Chapter 59

Clarke's POV        *warning: Violence!

After Lexa and I grab as many sticks as we think we'll need, we eat breakfast and then set off again. Luckily, Octavia and Raven aren't as loud as yesterday, keeping their conversations mostly to themselves. Except when they're arguing about something and need someone to decide who's right. Usually they ask me, but they did ask Lexa to settle one. It was something like "are we all half centaur?" and roped Lincoln into their discussion. Octavia and Raven both think yes, while Lincoln disagrees. After Lexa asked if that means horses are half centaur too, and then asks if that means we're related to horses, they go quiet for a while. It was actually pretty funny.

"I didn't know you're a philosopher." I tease Lexa.

She smiles at me. "I do read a lot when I have the time. I have read many of the Old Earth philosophers' work."

Her answer surprises me. Not the reading part, because I have noticed she likes to read, but the fact that she's read philosophy.

"I tried when I was on the Ark, but it was all phrased in the most difficult way possible. I couldn't understand any of it." I admit. I'm good at reading and comprehending what I read, but things written like that (as in, unnecessarily complex) I put down soon after starting it.

"Perhaps I could explain a few to you sometime, though I would like to refresh my memory beforehand. We can do that back at Polis."

"That sounds good."

We ride for a few minutes after that, completely unfocused on anything but each other and staring into each other's eyes.

When we refocus on the road, I notice a dark shadow out of the corner of my eye. Now I know shadows are usually dark, but this one is different. And moving alongside us. It's too big to be a small animal, and moves swiftly and silently. This might be one of the robbers or something that Lexa warned us about.

I click my tongue, getting Lexa's attention. I move my eyes from her to where the shadow is. She catches on immediately, her face going cold as she puts her hand on her sheathed dagger. Her swords are on her back and reaching for them would be too obvious.

I try to think of a way to do this. Do I pull out my bow and shoot at the person? Do I get off Argo and charge at them?

Before I can think of anything else the shadow starts getting bigger. I curse quietly. They're coming closer. I pull Argo to a stop and Lexa and I get off our horses. The others immediately stop and get off too, tense and ready to fight.

Without any prompting, Ryder and Nix move closer to Lexa and I while Octavia and Raven go over by Lincoln to guard the wagon. The horses flick their ears nervously, barely staying silent.

Everyone draws their weapons and I pull out my bow, aiming towards the shadow rapidly getting closer. It's big, as in wide. Bigger than any human I've ever... it's not just one human.

"There's more than one." I say, just loud enough for everyone to hear me.

Lexa curses in Trigedasleng (which normally I'd find hot, but right now I'm busy hoping we won't die) and does her nervous hand thing with the hilt of one of her swords.

Soon, they're close enough that they're not in the shadows. They're definitely not friendly, what with their swords and various weapons (is that a mace? I didn't know they still existed, let alone are used). Their faces are covered, only leaving enough so they can see.

I aim my bow, take a deep breath, and fire. One person falls backwards, my arrow sticking out of their chest. Like the squirrel, I hit them right in the heart. There are six others. Two of them split and head towards the wagon. Which is not a smart move. At all.

Raven's digging through the stuff in the wagon and raises up a small object in the air, victorious in finding whatever that thing is. She grins, one I recognize from when we were battling the Ice Queen. No, she couldn't have brought...

She fiddles with it before throwing it at the approaching people. One of them catches it and they both pause, looking down at it in confusion. It explodes, making little bits of the two fly everywhere.

"You brought a fucking grenade?" I yell at her. "That could've blown everything up! Including us!"

"It didn't though." Raven points out, smirking and wiping some blood off her face. We're going to need to find somewhere to clean up.

The four others seem more hesitant after that display, but continue coming at us. I gesture for Octavia and Raven to stay with Lincoln and the wagon. We've got this. There's one for each of us.

I put my bow away and take out my swords. We start to run towards them. The fight is more bloody than I expected. Nix easily disarms her opponent and then beheads them. Ryder stabs his through the gut, right where the liver is, and twists his blade. I wince at that, and the person falls back, dead.

I focus on mine, blocking their first attack. Of course I got the mace person. Though I have to admit, it does seem like it'd be difficult to wield.

I continue blocking, making note of their stance and every small error in their stance. They're not as skilled as I previously thought. I kick their shin and when they wince, I kick them in the stomach. They fall back onto the ground and I put my sword to their throat.

"Clarke, wait." Lexa says, putting her hand on my shoulder. "This is the last one alive. We can get information from them."

I nod, stepping aside but keeping my swords at the ready until they're not a threat. Lexa ties their arms behind their back and their feet together. Her back is straight and she looks down at the person. She's in Heda mode, and she's not going to stop until she gets the information she needs.

Man, I forgot how fun writing fight scenes are! And now we get to a little bit of plot... But no worries, this book is still mainly going to be fluffy! And as always, there will be a happy ending. Thank you for reading and stay awesome!