chapter seventeen:

Issy’s P.O.V.

Holly and I stood at the window, waiting for Olly to arrive. I missed him so much. I kept dithering about whether to call him or not, whether he missed me or whether he was with other girls. I couldn’t even look at him, because I’d run back into his arms and then he’s won. But after his performance yesterday, I realised I spent too long without him, I couldn’t do it anymore. A car pulled up the driveway and I shot out the door. Olly came out and ran into my arms. He gave me a big, long kiss, and we had a group hug. We went inside and Holly sat in front of the TV watching Balamory. Olly and I cuddled on the sofa, watching her. “I’m so so sorry” he began saying. I shut him up by kissing him. “I love you, I’m sorry for not getting in touch. I thought about it every day but I thought you moved on and-“ he shut me up this time by kissing me. “I love you Isabella” “I love you too, Oliver.”

“Olly seriously, it looks fine. I don’t get why you’re getting so worked up about a picture. It’s straight, okay!” I said to him. “It looks wonky, is it wonky?” I sighed, “No, it looks fine!” “No, it’s definitely wonky.” I tugged him down and we stared at the picture. “It looks perfect.” I said, kissing his cheek. “My perfect family.” Olly and I were looking at a picture of Olly, Holly and I last Christmas. Holly was now five years old. Olly and I were perfect. We weren’t married, he hadn’t even asked me. “Mummy!” I heard her shouting from upstairs. “I hurt my leg!” I went upstairs. “There’s nothing there!” I laughed. “Come on, we got the get you ready for school.” It was Holly’s first day in reception. She was really excited. “Olly! Can you drive Hol to school? I’ve got to go to work!” he shouted up yes and I went to get changed. I still worked at the same nursery, I asked for my old job back and they accepted, luckily. “Have an amazing day at school, Daddy will pick you up later.” I said to Holly, getting in my car. “Mummy loves you” giving her a kiss on her forehead. She waved me off and went back inside.

I arrived at work and was greeted by some of the other people who worked there. There were a whole new load of people coming in as it was September. Most of them were pretty confident, coming up to me and high fiving me, and hugging me. Cute. The whole of the class was in except for one boy. His name was Ethan Earl. “Right let’s get started!” I said, getting out the paints, colouring books and pencils. The children got right into it. They obviously loved painting. I was walking about a bit when someone tapped me on my shoulder. I jumped a bit. I turned around and.. “Keira.” “Surprise!” she said, sympathetically. “I’m so sorry I’m late, Ethan here had an accident.” “Ethan Earl..but your surname is Edwards..” she showed me her left finger. “I’m married!” “Oh wow, congratulations!” she smiled and looked down to Ethan. “You go and play, and behave yourself, mister.” He did a mischievous smile and ran off. “So how have you been?” she asked me. “I’ve been good, Holly’s five now!” I showed her a picture on my phone of Holly. “She’s gorgeous!” I smiled. “and you? How have you been?” she nodded. “I’ve been great. My husband, Ben, just got a job down here and so we moved last week.” We both felt a bit awkward. “Issy I’m so sorry for before. I was such an idiot, I can’t believe I lost you.” I hugged her, “Hey, what’s in the past is in the past. You should come round for dinner someday at our house-“ she interrupted me. “’our house’?” she asked. I breathed. “Olly and I’s house.” She smiled. “I’m glad you’re happy, Is.” She gave me her number and went off. Wow, that was super awkward. One of the boys was tugging on my jumper, asking me to play with him. “Alright, but stop pulling on my jumper, it’s new!” I said, he laughed and kept tugging. Boys. I thought to myself.

“You’d never guess who I bumped into today.” I said, putting my stuff down on the table, walking into the longue. “Hi Issy..” Keira said. “H-how long have you been here?” “About 15 minutes. Sorry, I thought you finished and Olly’s car was in the driveway.” Olly was sitting awkwardly on the other sofa. “I thought I’d take up that offer of yours, dinner.” She said, smiling. “Now?” I asked. She nodded. “Urm, right okay.. I’ll just go and see what we’ve got.” I said, signalling to Olly to come with me. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t think she’d actually come round.. how did she even know where we live?” I asked him. He looked down and his arm was around his neck. “Olly..” he breathed heavily. “I was picking up Holly from school and I saw her walking down the road, I couldn’t go anywhere, so I tried to ignore her and put my head down but she noticed me and she followed me here.” he breathed out. I kissed him. “Where is Holly?” she’s in her room with Ethan..is it?” I nodded. “See what we have.. if not we’ll order some take away. I’m going to go and check on them.” He opened the freezer and looked for food while I went upstairs to check on Holly and Ethan. I walked into her bedroom, and she was standing with one of my dresses on, and one of my high heeled shoes. She had lipstick on everywhere on her face except for her lips. She had been into my make-up bag because she looked like she had foundation splattered across her face. “Holly Murs!” I shouted. Olly came storming in, and started laughing. “Oh my god, I’ve got to get a picture.” He got out his phone and snapped a picture. She looked completely innocent in it, like butter couldn’t melt. He went onto twitter and tweeted the picture. “@ollyofficial: doesn’t my gorgeous girl look lovely all dressed up!!! Lol x” and put his phone back away. “Let’s get you cleaned up, shall we?” Keira came up and also laughed. “Holly you look gorgeous.” Holly did a grimace smile and I hurried her away to the bathroom.