2. A close call

The meeting was absolutely horrible. The "mean people" at Modest!, as Niall called them, showed a slideshow of pictures of the boys where they were acting in a way that they didn't like. Harry and Liam, although they were annoyed, took it well, and just waited for it to be over. They kept pointing out moments when "no one should have seen you wearing that" or "what were you thinking, talking to that woman". However, the worst began with Niall and Louis. The word they kept using was "childish". They didn't like how childish they looked, and how infantile their clothes and words were. Niall was in tears by the time it finished, and Harry could feel Louis was about to have a meltdown.

Thankfully it was time for them to head to the cafeteria and have lunch, and then get to rehearsals after a short break. The four boys loved the cafeteria, because they got to choose whatever they wanted to eat, and everything was yummy. Liam and Harry had to control the other two boys, because they always chose the chicken nuggets, and it was not very healthy without a side salad or some fruit. Harry was more concerned about this than Liam.

Lunch time went without a big fuss, even though the boys were still clearly upset about the meeting. Louis was trying not to gravitate towards the older boys, trying not to look like their kid, but Harry could see it was hard. Niall was just upset.

"Don't worry about anything they said, alright? You keep being yourselves, don't change. You are so special in your own ways, you don't have to fit a role you don't even like." Harry assured them, and they looked down. After lunch, they went to the room they had at the building, which consisted in a few sofas and a TV, and it was meant for them to rest. They all sat down, promising to be at the rehearsals at four. Louis fell asleep in a matter of five minutes, resting his head on Harry's leg as a pillow. Niall played on his phone quietly, and Harry and Liam watched a movie. Before they realized, it was time to go already.

"Come on, we're going to be late!" Liam almost screamed when he looked at the time. Harry agreed, and started to wake up Louis, practically pushing him to the door before the teen could say anything.

They went over the same songs, over and over, and it was getting late. They did like performing, but it was exhausting to sing every song a thousand times before it was ready. They had a team of choreographers and vocalists supervising every aspect of every song, barely leaving them time to breath. As always, Niall was getting more and more quiet, being very tired, and Harry realized Louis was trying to get his attention, but they barely left them breaks between songs to talk.

Finally, when they had like two songs left to rehears, Louis managed to talk to Harry. He put the mic away from his face and approached the older boy.

"Harry, please, can you help me find a bathroom?" he said in a whisper. Harry considered his options.

"Lou, you've got to wait. We've only got two songs left, the easy ones. Please hold it." he said, looking at Louis' eyes. Louis went to open his mouth again.

"But..." he protested, but he was cut off by a woman who demanded their attention. She explained a few tips about their vocals, and they got to the last songs.

During the last song, Harry got really worried about Louis. The boy couldn't stop fidgeting, moving his legs and dancing around. He had a panicked expression. Harry didn't know he was that desperate, he would have done something sooner.

After what seemed the longest five minutes of their lives, they let them go home. Louis immediately turned to Harry with pleading eyes, and Harry dropped his mic, ran to Louis and put a hand on his back to guide him to the bathroom. He didn't actually know where it was.

"I need to go" Louis whined as he started picking speed. He had his hand between his legs and a confused and panicked expression on his face. Finally they saw the bathroom, and Louis almost ran to the door, whining on the way. Harry stayed back, leaning against the wall, waiting for him to be over so they could leave. He texted Liam telling him what was going on.