9. A complicated night but a better morning

A few hours after going to sleep, Liam and Harry were woken up by loud cries. They had to think for a moment before realizing it was coming from Louis. Liam was the first of the two older boys that got out of his bed and ran towards the boys' room.

Louis was crying loudly, his face full of snot and tears, and he was gripping the crib bars so hard his knuckles were white. He was sitting on his knees, looking at the door. The dummy was on the floor, next to his blanket, probably thrown by Louis. It was a heartbreaking sight.

Then, Louis screamed something that made Liam's heart stop.

"Papa" Louis cried, tilting his head back as he sobbed. Liam had to take a few seconds to process what Louis had said. It was the first time he heard the boy saying that. He was excited, but now he only wanted to make Louis stop crying.

Liam approached the crib, whispering.

"What's wrong baby? What's the matter, tell me." He said reassuringly. Louis shook his head, coughing with how hard he was crying.

"No, wan' Papa!" He screamed. In that moment Harry entered the room. As soon as Louis saw Harry he stood up on his crib, pushing himself up with the bats, and raised his arms. "Papa!" He cried.

"I'm here, love. What's wrong?" Harry said, picking Louis up.

"Want you" Louis said, hiding his face in Harry's neck as he continued crying.

"I know love, you're okay." Harry said as he took the little one to his bedroom.

Liam turned to Niall's crib, where the boy had woken up to Louis' cries.

"Go to sleep, Nini" Liam whispered. "It's too early to be up yet."

Niall shook his head.

"Why not baby?" Liam asked.

"Wet" Niall mumbled. It was a good thing he wasn't crying. Liam lifted him up and placed him on the changing table, performing a quick change while he whispered soothing things to keep the boy sleepy and not crying. When he was done, he carried Niall back to his crib.

"Noo, your bed." Niall protested, sleepy.

"Come on Niall, you have to sleep here. I'll wait until you fall asleep, and we can turn on the nightlight again." Liam whispered, letting Niall down on his crib. Niall nodded, and cuddled his bear, looking at the ceiling. Liam switched on the nightlight, and watched Niall's face as little starts were projected all over the room, some even landing on the boy's face. He looked so cute as he was falling asleep.

**********

"Loubear talk to me, what's wrong?" Harry said as he carried a sobbing Lou to his room. Louis shook his head against Harry's shoulder, hiding his mouth behind his bear's fur, which was now covered in tears and snot. That bear would need to go in the washing machine sooner than later. As soon as Louis left it alone for more than five minutes, which didn't happen very often.

Harry sat on the bed with Louis on top of him.

"Lou, you have to talk to me, so I can make it all better" Harry explained.

"Tummy" Louis said sadly, looking down. Harry understood perfectly well at that moment.

"You tummy hurts, love?" Harry asked, receiving a nod in return. Louis hugged Harry tighter.

"Papa" he sobbed again. Harry would never get tired of hearing Louis say that word, but this time he just wanted to make his baby feel better. And there was only one way. He was hoping it wouldn't happen in the middle of the night, but it is how it is.