30. An outcome

It had been five days. Five long, hard, nerve racking days of meetings, calls and tears. To say they were tired of the situation, and generally upset with the authorities of both countries involved was an understatement.

Louis had been staying at home with Harry and Anne, getting constant attention. All he wanted was things to go back to normal, and he also wanted Niall and Liam home as soon as possible.

Louis was upset most of the time, but he also had moments of happiness, and it was all thanks to his nana. Anne had been staying in the house, following Louis around and playing with him for two days straight, and the pair adored each other.

Harry was genuinely surprised, he thought it would take a while for Louis to be that confortable with someone in his headspace. Louise and Caroline had been an accident, and also something inevitable, but this was so forced and sudden that Harry didn't think the boy would be okay with it.

Louis loved his nana, though. Every day he woke up and immediately went to look for her around the house, smiling happily when he found her. She'd always be in the kitchen, making something yummy for breakfast. All of the plates she gave him had smiley faces and hearts, so Louis was eager to eat anything she prepared. Then they'd play princesses and draw until lunch. She was already in love with the little boy, even if the situation was too strange at first.

There had been difficult moments, like the first time Harry had to go away for a full day and Anne had been forced to change Louis' wet nappy. Louis refused, cried, kicked and even locked himself in the bathroom. A phone call to Harry was all it took to convince him that waiting for him was not an option, and that his nana wouldn't be mad or upset. He had a nap right after that and woke up like nothing had happened.

Louis cried for Niall and Liam all the time. At least Liam called two or three times a day, but he hadn't had any contact with Niall in four days, and it was starting to get to him. He'd ask about him every day, and get upset when they told him that he couldn't call him. They just didn't want him to set Niall off into his headspace, as the boy was doing really good so far, but Louis didn't understand that, he wanted his brother back.

Meanwhile, Harry and Liam were doing literally anything in their power to help fix the situation, and they were really close, or so they thought. They had called their contacts in the government, and they had worked through hours and hours of paperwork, all to keep their baby boy safe and with them forever. Liam was doing everything from Ireland, while Harry worked relentlessly from London. They had a team of lawyers with them, and they were making a lot of progress. The specifics were quite complicated, but so far the path they were taking was clear: Maura would lose custody, they suspected Niall's father and brother wouldn't take him in, and Liam had filed a request to be his legal guardian which needed Maura's signature, but it would be valid if there wasn't a current legal guardian to sign.

Liam waited for a phone call all day long. It would either be Harry, some social services person, or Niall. Niall called many times a day, he was lonely and scared. Liam tried to explain everything to him, but he just didn't get it. He wanted out of there, and he wanted it now.

*******************************************

It was six in the morning when Liam's phone rang. It woke him up, he'd been awake until two the previous night, and his alarm wasn't set until seven. He always had his phone on speaker though, because some times important things happened in the middle of the night.

Liam reached for his phone in the dark and immediately accepted when he saw it was Harry calling.

"Yeah" He said, as the other boy didn't need anything else to start giving away his news.