Act 09 - Konoha's State of the World

A/N》Continuation of Act 7.5: Prologue to Outer Science. This happens before Act 08.

this chapter is in Konoha's POV.

-*-

There was someone in front of me. He had black hair and radioactive like yellow eyes fused with an emotion that I found so threatening. But the most threatening thing about him was that...

He looked exactly like me.

Exactly like me, except that everything about him screamed danger.

"Hello there." He began.

"Who...are you?"

"Do you really need to know? You're dead anyways. It's no use talking to you. But..."

He suddenly disappeared, then I heard his voice behind me.

"But since I want to rip your emotionless face apart to replace it with a satisfying look of despair, I'll tell you everything I know.

Everything.

This will be your last, so listen well."

A white light appeared before me. It exploded into a bigger thing, something that looked like a long sheet of paper. There were images there that I was yet to make out.

"See it clearly."

The images started getting clear. I could see Hiyori and Hibiya. They were arguing again.

And then... I saw Ei.

She was hit by something. It looked like Hibiya's frisbee. She was then carried to somewhere...that looked like Hiyori's place. Yes, it was the place I used to stay in. And then when we had dinner. Ei also ate the meat that had strawberry syrup. I made her eat it. I was happy she liked it as much as I did.

Then Ei left.

I remember it all clearly.

These are my memories?

Hiyori and Hibiya walked back home from sending Ei back to the park where they first found her.

And after that...

"...?!!!"

My breathing almost stopped.

The next image showed a lot of blood.

Hibiya, he pushed Hiyori out of the road. He was crushed. He was hit by the truck.

I was there, catching up to them, but no matter how close I got to him, my hands couldn't touch him. I was as if a mere projection, a ghost, that passed through real things.

I couldn't save him.

Then Hiyori...her body spilt open. Halved. She was pierced by falling steel bars.

I was there, running to her, but no matter how close I got to her, my hands couldn't reach her. As if I was a mere projection, a a nobody, that had no right to protect the things dear to me.

A nobody, a non-existent being, who was in no position to change this cruel fate.

These images repeated countless of times, and no matter how hard I tried, I can't save the both of them. If Hiyori lived, Hibiya died. As if they weren't meant to spend their lives together.

"One is always meant to die.

And the one living is...the one who gets a snake's eye power.

Every one of two people who die at August 15 will live again with the curse.

And each one who bears this curse becomes my sacrifice."

What...?

"A sacrifice...for me to be entertained by the best nightmare there is."

You...you were the one who did this?

For your...entertainment?

The reason why Hiyori and Hibiya are...are endlessly dying. I'm not the only one to blame on why they can't be saved.

I can feel my blood boiling. This has...never happened before. Wait... I think, it happened when someone tried to touch and kidnap Ei back at the shopping district...

Moreover, that someone...that someone looked like him.

That's right. They were the same person.

Not only was he the one who did this, but he also dared to hurt Ei...

"Now, now! Don't look at me like that. Konoha-kun, oh... ahhh you look so... despaired and frustrated right now...

It makes me want to devour you and anger you more!!"

He held his stomach because of the state of hysterical laughter he was in.

"I'm not the one you should be angry at! I'm simply enjoying my end of the bargain! I'm not the one who wished that you'd all be revived while having the curse of the snakes, after all... ahaHAhahA!!!"

Curse...?

Curse...

I reached my hand out, looking at my palm.

My hands, my body...was slowly glitching. Slowly being see through. As if I was...

As if I was disappearing.

What's happening to me?

Will I disappear?

"OH sht... I... I absolutely like the face you're making right now."

Then I looked at him. What is he saying?

"'What', 'why', you ask?!

You clueless idiot!

You're completely cornered and devastatingly confused!!!

What is it you're feeling? Which among those foolish feelings is the strongest?!

Sadness? Despair? Hopelessness? Anger? Frustration? Depression? Regret?!

Tell me!!! OI!!!!"

And he broke into the most sadistic laugh that would ever resound on the face of the earth.

I couldn't answer him. I didn't want to. I didn't want to talk to him. I don't want to see him talk. I don't want to see him.

Black coiled masses that started to surround him. They seemed to be formed from all the darkness around us, and he slowly accepted it in him as if it belonged to him.

Me, being part of the darkness, was slowly being dragged towards him. I struggled, but I couldnt control my own body. Not even my own voice.

Everyone. Save me.

Someone...

Ei...

"Goodbye, Konoha-kun."