Hunting Up a Birthday Surprise

Sam Winchester x Reader

Synopsis: You were in the middle of a hunt when Sam let it slip that it was his birthday. Using whatever you could find, you tried to make the day special for him. Turns out it's special for you to.

"Morning sunshine." Dean yelled near your ear, waking you up instantly.

"Damn it Dean." You cussed, hearing chuckling coming from the other side of the room. Sitting up and rubbing the sleep from your eyes, you turned to see Sam sitting in the corner, tying the laces of his boots.

"Why didn't you wake me earlier?" You asked them, yawning. Sam came and sat down next to you, brushing a lock of hair back from your face.

"Because you looked so peaceful. I was thinking you could stay back today, and relax. Dean and I can handle this." He told you, his eyes straining to show you he wasn't trying to keep you back, he truly wanted you to have a day for yourself.

"But why just me? Don't you and Dean deserve a day too?" You asked, even though the idea of a day spent doing nothing sounded wonderful."

"It's an ordinary day, I don't need to take time off. Besides, I need to head to the morgue today. And you hate that." He explained.

"Yeah, perfect birthday present." Dena muttered, and you stared at him in surprise.

"What did you say?" You asked him, watching as Sam ducked to hide behind his shaggy hair, seeming a little uncomfortable.

Dean pushed Sam, teasing his younger brother. "You mean Sammy here hasn't told you? Today is his birthday."

You glanced at Sam in surprise. The two of you had been somewhat together as a couple, neither saying anything official yet. But you would have thought he would have told you something as important as his birthday. "Really? Sam why didn't you tell me?"

He shrugged it off, standing up and throwing his coat on. "Because it's not that big of a deal. We never celebrate birthdays anyway. Come on Dean, we need to get going. Relax Y/N, and have an easy day. We'll be back in time for dinner."

You watched as they both left the motel room, and for a moment you sat there, wondering how you were going to spend your time. It was then you came up with a plan. Sam said they never celebrated birthdays, and you figured now was a good time to start. Giving Sam and Dean plenty of time to have made their way to the morgue, you grabbed your coat and your wallet.

The motel was actually in the middle of town, which you were grateful for. Heading straight for main street, you decided the first order of business was finding Sam a fun and unique present. You hated buying anyone presents, but Sam was extra tough. You passed by outdoor stores, knowing he had his fill of weapons. You passed jewelry stores, knowing he wouldn't go for fancy watches or anything like that. Farther and farther you walked, before you came to an antique book store. Your interest piked, you opened the door, hearing the welcoming tinkle of a bell. Glancing around, you noticed all the antique and hard to come by books gracing the warm wooden shelves. Running your finger along them, you came to one of Sam's favorite books. You caught him many a time reading a worn, tattered paperback copy during his down time. But this book was different, it was a first edition, and you knew you had found his present.

Paying for the book, you continued your way, coming to a small bakery. Opening the door, you were instantly hit by the sweet smell of baked goods. An older woman was manning the counter, her graying hair in a bun, a bright yellow and floral apron covering her jeans and plain shirt.

"Can I help you?" She asked, her voice warm and friendly.

You nodded. "Yeah, I need a birthday cake for my boyfriend." You told her.