Chapter 10

It was the next evening and you had already come home from work, making the three of you a light dinner. Chiaki and Izuki sat at the table as they occupied themselves with papers to color or papers to work on.

Izuki couldn't get the fact that he had seen his dad out of his head. Not remembering what his father looked like, he knew that was his dad.

"Izuki? Are you okay?" Your words snapped him out of his trance as he looked up at you. "I'm good." He softly replied, playing around with his pencil. You had a concerned look on your face but let it slide.

Not too long after, you place three plates down on the table. Sitting down in front of your boys, you smiled and clapped your hands together. "Itadakimasu."

It wasn't a big meal, just some vegetables and a chicken drumstick. As you were eating, you noticed that Izuki didn't eat much of his meal. You looked over at him and he seemed to have something on his mind as he played with his food.

"Izuki, eat up okay?" He nodded but didn't change. Your brows furrowed and just as you were about to open your mouth and say something, he spoke up.

"Mom?" Izuki said quietly, eyes looking down at his food. "Yes sweetie?" Izuki looked up and his grey eyes met yours.

"I met dad yesterday."

Your fork dropped as your eyes widened, mouth agape. Slowly, your mouth curved into a nervous smile as you set your fork on your plate gently. "W-what do you mean 'you met dad yesterday'?"

"Chiaki and I were walking home yesterday from Aya-sensei's. He was waiting by the house and he talked to me and told me he was my dad." Izuki stated as he ate a spoonful of rice. "What did he look like?"

"He had white hair, that's all I remember." You nodded at Izuki's words. "Don't worry about him, he's just a creeper. Don't talk to him okay? Now, eat up and go to bed."

Chiaki sat at the table and ate his food, silently listening. He didn't understand much but he knew the general idea on what you and Izuki were talking about. He knew the topic on his father was a topic you never liked to talk about so he never talked about it with you.

But his curiosity about his father seemed to grow more and more.

-

Haise walked up to you and leaned against the door frame as you let out a groan. "Everything okay?" You turned around in your chair and glanced at him, your hands massaging your temples.

"No, Izuki had just told me that Kaneki had come by yesterday when I was at work. He told him that he was their father." You said with a sigh. "Kaneki? Is he your ex-husband?" Haise asked as he took a seat next to you.

"Oh, yes sorry. His name is Kaneki Ken." You responded rubbing your temples in a circular motion again. Haise not knowing what to do asked you to stand up. Giving him a puzzled face, you agreed and stood up, placing your hands on each side of your body.

"Haise, what are you - ah!" Haise swiftly swept you off your foot and carried you bridal style as he gave you a charming smile. "L-let me down!" You cried in embarrassment as you covered your face on your hands.

"I'm just lifting you to lift your spirits up." Haise began as he carefully spun you around with a chuckle. "I'll help make sure you and your kids are safe." You blushed as you stared into his loving grey eyes. Letting you down onto your feet gently, you look up at him with rosy cheeks.

"Why are you caring for me so much? I'm nobody special." You said to Haise as he took your small hands in his larger ones.

"Because I like you (F/N)." Haise brought your hand to his lips as he placed a soft kiss on it. Looking up at you through his lashes, he stood back up and smiled. "You and your kids important to me in many ways."

Your eyes widened as your mouth was agape. Looking at Haise, his smile never faltered as he stared back into your eyes. As your body moved on it's own, you found yourself walking toward Haise and burying yourself in his chest as you wrapped your arms around his waist.

"Thank you Haise."

-

"Oh! Sasaki-san is here!" Chiaki exclaimed as he got up from the carpet and ran toward Haise, giving him a small wave by his legs. Haise waved back.

"Sasaki-san is going to join us for dinner so be polite to him." You announced to the kids after you thanked Hinami for watching the boys.

Changing out of your work outfit, you came into the kitchen with a baggy t-shirt and sweatpants because the good life is the comfortable life. Izuki and Chiaki played around in the living room with Haise while you began cooking in the kitchen.

"Is the food ready yet mommy?" Chiaki yelled loud enough for you to hear. Shaking your head you replied, "Not yet sweetie."

Haise loved the way you talked to your kids. He loved the cute nicknames you gave them and just how you interacted with them in general. He knew you were a good mother from the way Chiaki and Izuki treat you.

Standing up from the carpet next to Chiaki, Haise walked into the kitchen and rolled his sleeves up a little above his elbows.

"What can I help you with?" You turned and gave him a smile. "Do you mind cutting the vegetables for me?"

"Not one bit." Haise took the vegetables from your hands and set them on the counter, perfectly cutting them. While the two of you were cooking, Haise and you made small talk with each other with laughter filling the kitchen from his puns.

Chiaki scooted closer to Izuki as he watched how you and Haise interacted in the kitchen. "Izuki, they look like they're married."

"Is that all you can think about when Sasaki-san is here?" Izuki responded as he turned to look at his younger brother. Chiaki shrugged with a cheeky smile on his face. Izuki glanced at the two of you before looking back into his book.

"They do though.."

Soon the table was filled with food as you smiled happily. The three people important to you were all sitting at one table having dinner together.

"Eat up!" You state as you helped the younger boys with their plates. By the time you had finished helping yourself, you noticed that Haise had not grabbed a single item.

"Haise? Go ahead and take anything okay?" He looked over at you and nodded with a smile. "Thank you for the food, but I'll just drink something for the night. I spoiled my appetite already." He said looking at the food.

"Alright, do you have anything you want to drink?"

"A cup of black coffee will be perfect."

Nodding, you got up and began to make him a cup of coffee. Haise internally sighed as you made him a cup of coffee. He hadn't told you that he was a 'ghoul' yet and he didn't want to scare you off.

As you set the cup of coffee down in front of him he thanked you and took a sip of it after it had cooled down. The day couldn't have ended any better for Haise, it was as if this were his own family.