Chapter 21

Sorry for the late update! School has started for me and I'm already exhausted from it even after just two days.

I also have a swim meet tomorrow, wish me luck! Swimming is pretty exhausting too.

---------------------------------

You held onto Kaneki tightly as he continued to jump on the roofs of each buildings with his kagune supporting him. The night was a bit chilly and windy with the winds brushing past your face, but being pressed against Kaneki's chest filled you with warmth.

His arms were holding onto you securely as he looked around for a safe place to drop let you down at. You closed your eyes as you leaned your head against his chest, only opening them back up once you didn't feel the cold wind in your face anymore.

Kaneki let you down softly as you stood in front of him, looking down at your shoes. It was quiet and no words were exchanged, until you heard a few soft words come out of his mouth.

"Are you hurt?"

Looking up at him through your lashes, you shook your head and looked back down with a small smile. "No, I'm okay. Thank you for saving me back there."

"Glad I found you in time. Your base isn't too far from here, keep walking straight then take a right and it should lead you there." Kaneki responded with a small smile. Looking at him you nodded and began to walk away.

"Um, have a good night." You replied softly as you looked behind your shoulder at Kaneki. His smile grew as he looked at you. "I will, goodnight." You faced forward and continued to walk toward your base as Kaneki walked in the opposite direction as you.

-

"Where's (F/N)?" Haise asked the nurses at the base as he looked around for you. He couldn't seem to find you. "(L/N)-san was being chased by a ghoul and she ran away in a different direction trying to escape it." A nurse explained as he panicked and ran away looking for you.

"Agh! Where are you!" Haise cried as he continued running to look for you. He could never forgive himself if you have gotten hurt or worse, killed. "(F/N)! (F/N)!"

The panic was starting to set in, he had been searching for so long but he still couldn't find you. And unfortunately, you left your phone back at the base so he couldn't call you.

Haise stopped running and stood still, covering his face with his hands. The chilly night surrounded him as you felt useless not being able to protect you. Letting his hands drop to his side, he turned the corner and decided to take a walk to calm himself down before getting back.

But a few feet ahead, he sees a figure walking toward him. They were too far for him to distinguish, but as he began to get closer his heart warmed him up again.

"(F/N)!"

Looking up, you see Haise running at you in full speed. Before you could react he had you in his arms as his head was buried in your shoulders, he was holding onto you so tightly; as if he was scared.

"H-Haise? Are you okay?" You asked gently as he didn't move an inch. "Where did you go?"

"Huh?"

"Where did you go? What happened?" This time, Haise pulled away from your shoulders and looked at you with glassy eyes. You looked back at him with wide sorry eyes, "I-I was being chased by a ghoul but someone saved me and took me to safety. I didn't mean to worry you.."

"Who saved you?" Haise asked confused. The cold wind blew softly into your hair as you looked at him. You broke the eye contact as you said his name. "Kaneki."

Haise abruptly stepped back and broke all contact with you as he stared at you in shock. "H-Haise?" Looking at him in shock and confusion you tried reaching out to him, feeling him flinch when you touched his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"It's always him." He whispered looking down at the ground. You scrunched your eyebrows at him, "What are you saying?"

"It's always been him!" Haise shouted as you looked at you with wide eyes. Eyebrows arching sadly, you ran your hand down his arms until you were gently holding his hand. "Haise, is this about Kaneki?"

"It's not going to be me is it. You'll go back to him and forget all about me?" Smiling sadly at him, you shivered in the chilly night. "Haise, I would never forget about you. I won't go back to Kaneki, and if I ever did, something major would have happened."

Haise didn't say anything after that, he didn't make eye contact yet either. You walked forward and gave him a hug, sighing into his chest. "I'm glad you made it out safe, I was worried for you too."

"Are you just saying that?" Haise replied wrapping his arms around you, placing his head on yours. Shaking your head, you looked up at him and gave him a small peck on the lips, causing his cheeks to turn rosy even in the cold night. "I mean it."

He let out a tiny grin as he looked away, you running your hand against his soft black and white hair again. It was always so soft every time you touched it. "You're very important to me, I wouldn't want to lose you."

-

"Mommy!" As you entered the door to the Fueguchi household, your kids came running toward you, hugging your legs. "I missed you mom!" Chiaki exclaimed hugging you tighter.

"Aww, you little sweet thing! I missed you too!" Bending down, you kissed his forehead before moving over to kiss Izuki's. "Sasaki-san! I missed you too!" The two boys ran over to Haise and hugged him as well.

"I missed you both!" Haise exclaimed lightly tickling their stomachs making them laugh. "Alrighty then, ready to go home?"

Nodding, the two boys ran over to Hinami and her mom giving them a big hug. "Thank you for taking care of us! Bye!"

As they ran back over to Haise, you walked over and thanked them. "Thank you so much, I'll be off now."

"It's no problem, they are lovely boys. Have a safe night." She said as she waved you guys off. Closing the door behind you, the four of you made your way back to the apartment like a cute small family.