Chapter 31

Kinda OOC Haise ahead?
------------

"Have fun you love birds!~" Shirazu called out as he sat on the living room floor entertaining Izuki and Chiaki. "Bye maman! Bye (L/N)-san!" Smiling, you waved goodbye to the Quinx and your kids as Haise gently shut the door behind you.

After having dinner, Haise wanted to take you out on a little date; just the two of you. The Quinx offered to watch over Izuki and Chiaki as well so it was a win-win situation for you.

As you were walking behind Haise, he suddenly stopped making you run into his back. "Hey- Haise!" You joked as you backed up and looked at him with a smile on your face. Looking up at him, you saw the small smile on his face as he held out his hand for you. Glancing down at his large hand you looked up into his warm grey eyes as you placed your hand in his, Haise squeezing it as he continued to walk forward interlocking his hand with yours.

"So Haise, what do you have planned?" You asked as you watched him hum softly. "I don't know, I just wanted to talk and spend some time with you before you leave." Closing your eyes, you smiled and leaned against his arm as you let out a small breath of air that turned white. "I'm not leaving until midnight tomorrow, we still have a lot of time."

"That's not nearly enough time." Haise responded with a soft voice as you opened up your eyes to look at him. "Sure it is Haise. Here, let's go to that small bakery and we can talk about anything you want. We can tell each other stories! How about it?"

The smile that was growing on your face made Haise so happy, it was hard for him to keep his smile hidden away but his lips curved into a smile and he kissed the top of your head before entering the small cafe with you.

The two of you walked over to the menu and Haise frowned when they didn't serve his black coffee, you seemed to notice it as well. "Haise, can you order (dessert) while I get you a can of coffee in that vending machine outside?" He looked at you with furrowed brows. "(F/N) I can't do that to you."

"No worries, it'll be quick! I'll be back okay?" Haise hesitantly nodded as you waved goodbye before exiting the bakery to walk over to the vending machine not too far from here. As you took out your card and slid it through to get Haise his coffee, you noticed a man with white hair standing next to the machine.

As you hummed to yourself, you took a step closer to them to inspect their face only to have them turn to you, causing you to jump slightly. "Kaneki?" You gasped as he smiled under his scarf and stood next to you in front of the vending machine. "What are you doing here?" You asked as you bent down to grab the warm coffee.

"I was waiting for you." He admitted as you gave him a small pout. "What for?" As you asked that question, he took out a small envelope from his coat and handed it to you. It was neatly decorated with your name written on the front. "Oh! Th-thanks..should I open it now?" You asked cautiously looking around. He chuckled and nodded at you, "If you'd like." Giving him a tight smile, you carefully opened the envelope and pulled out a picture, your smile saddening at the wonderful picture. "You still have this?"

"We were so young back then, our first picture together." Kaneki quietly said glancing over at the picture in your hands. You let out a small laugh before putting the picture back in the envelope. "We were so dorky back then. And you still had your black hair!" You exclaimed as you reached up to fluff his head of white.

You hadn't realized but you'd been talking with Kaneki for a while while Haise waited for you patiently inside the cafe. Getting worried for you, he looked outside the window only to see you talking with him. He clenched his fists as he watched Kaneki make you laugh and giggle, the way he made you when he throws out a pun.

After your laughing died down, you looked at him with cheeks red from the cold air. Kaneki's grey eyes stared down into yours with a warm smile on his face like back then when the two of you spent your days together. The smile he used whenever he loved being with you.

Breaking the eye contact you looked around at the ground and played with your fingers, "Oh, I'm sorry. I don't have a gift for you.." You state as you used your foot to play with the snow on the ground. "That's fine, I wasn't expecting anything. I just wanted to give you that." Kaneki responded as he adjusted his scarf. "But,"

"Can I have a hug?" Your eyes slowly met with his and your heart leapt as you held the envelope and coffee tighter. With a soft voice you responded, "Okay." Stepping forward his arms wrapped around you while you're wrapped around him as well.

It felt nice to be in his arms again, his scent was still familiar and it didn't change. Slowly melting into the hug, you shut your eyes and leaned into his chest as you hugged him; Kaneki's arms firmly wrapped around you as his head laid on your shoulder.

Haise watched from inside the bakery as the two of you hugged, it was supposed to be a date for you and him, not you and Kaneki. Angrily, Haise stood up and asked for the dessert to be placed in a small box before he left the bakery, taking a walk out in the cold.

It was always Kaneki. Why did he think he would have a chance against him? You love Kaneki and you always have. He was just, a replacement..

Letting out a breath through his nose, he watched his feet take their steps in the snow, trying to get his mind off of those thoughts.

After what felt like an eternity, you pulled away from Kaneki and gave him a small smile. "Have a good night." Kaneki smiled in return and kissed your cheek, "You too." Your cheeks flushed as he turned around and walked separate ways from you. Slowly, you turned around and walked back into the bakery only to not find Haise there.

"Ma'am, if you're looking for the gentleman with the black and white hair, he left a few minutes ago." Feeling your heart drop at her words, you thanked her before leaving to find Haise. Turning the corner, you ran around trying to find Haise. Squinting your eyes, you found him a few feet ahead. Carefully, you ran over toward him calling out his name as he didn't bother to turn around.

Running in front of him, you grabbed ahold of his arms stopping him from any movement. "Haise! You can't just leave me behind like that! I was so worried about you!" You exclaimed in between your quick breaths after running around for him.

Haise glanced down at you and slightly squinted his grey eyes, "Why? You left me behind."