Chapter 37 - Tricked

Ethan's Point of View
   I knew that Grayson was still mad at Jenni, so I decided to use that to my advantage. I called up Jenni, but I used Grayson's phone instead, so she could think that I was Grayson. We sounded the same over the phone so she would never know it was me.
    "Grayson what's up?" Jenni asked.
  "I was just thinking about what happened, and I apologize, I shouldn't have overreacted." I replied, Jenni falling for my Grayson act.
  "No Gray, I should be the one apologizing, I should have never kissed Ethan. I need to keep those feelings in the past. I'm with you." My plan pretending to be Grayson was going so well, it couldn't have been going better.
  "I couldn't blame you for the feelings coming back, you liked him first, I should never gotten in the way."
  "No Grayson, I'm really glad you came along, I really like you."
   "I really like you too Jenni, I can't stop thinking about what I did. I just really need to see you soon."
 "How about this Christmas? It would feel even better with you here." Jenni said and I felt her voice light up.
  "That would be perfect."
  "See you in a couple of days! Can't wait!" Jenni replied sounding as excited as ever. I always liked to see her excited. The way her nose crinkled when she got overjoyed, I just loved it, and couldn't wait to see her in four days.
  As I hung up the phone I heard Grayson coming out of his room.
  "Hey who were you talking to?" He asked.
   "Oh no one, it was just Nate." I replied hoping I didn't already blow my cover. Thankfully he believed it.
  "Well I was thinking up in my room, and I realized was bit harsh to Jenni. So where's my phone, I want call her." Grayson couldn't call Jenni, it would ruin my whole plan. I quickly came up with a lie to cover it up.
  "Speaking of Jenni, she called while you were up in your room and she said that she hated the way you over reacted. She also said that if you were acting like this now, might as well end it now."
  "Was she really that shallow that she had asked you to tell me? Man I'm glad she broke up with me. I don't even wanna talk to her now. " A wave of relief washed over me. That worked better than expected.
  "Yeah, sorry bro. I know how much you really wanted to like her." I said pretending to comfort him.
  I really wanted Grayson to believe that I really felt sorry for him, so I came up with an idea.
   "Dude let's go and grab lunch, just to make you forget about thingies awhile."
  "Fine, where do you wanna go?" Grayson asked .
  "Let's go to Grub, they have nice food there."
  We ordered an uber and waited outside our apartment to see when it was coming.     
*****
   We came back home from eating and it seemed that Grayson started to forget everything. 
   Grayson started to feel tired so we decided to turn on a movie. I grabbed some blankets and extra pillows and we laid on the couch.
  The movie Gray picked was Big Hero 6, because he just really wanted to watch a Disney movie.
  We had been watching the movie for a couple of minutes, when I heard a knock. Since Grayson was all into the movie, I got up and answered it.
  To my surprise it was Nate.
     "Hey Nate, what are you doing here?" I asked.
    "Just wanted to hang with you guys. But what are you doing watching a movie? You rarely watch movies together." Nate questioned. 
    "Grayson's girlfriend, Jenni, just dumped him. So I'm just trying to comfort him."
  Nate nodded and walked to the couch and joined us in watching the movie.
    "Hey Nate," Grayson greeted as he looked up.
   "Hey, what are you guys doing?"
   "Just watching a movie as a way to comfort me. Since Jenni broke up with me today and had the nerve to not even tell me herself."
  "What? Then who told you?" Nate asked.
  "Ethan. He said she called and broke up with me. I figured if she was that shallow to even tell me herself, then why even bother." Nate looked up at him and saw he looked glum, so he tried to cheer him up.
  "Look Grayson, don't worry. Any girl would be lucky to have you, Jenni just lost it. Besides we're all single here," Nate said and chuckled a bit.
   "But Jenni. I've lost her before and I felt horrible about it." Grayson said and looked down. I knew that if Grayson got like this, he would talk to Jenni and ruin my plan.
    "Grayson, if you've lost her before, maybe it's a sign it's not meant to be." I said.
   "You're right Ethan. If Jenni doesn't like me that's her loss." Grayson said and finally had a smile on his face. I let out a sigh of relief.
  "That's the spirit bro," Nate said and high-fived Grayson. 
   Nate ended up staying to watch the movie, but eventually fell asleep on Grayson. I was the only one awake so I got my blanket and covered Nate and went up to my bedroom. 
*****
(Early on Christmas Eve)
  Jenni's Point Of View
  It was finally Christmas Eve. In a couple of hours I would finally be with all my family, Cam, Andrea, and Grayson. I was really happy to see Grayson cared enough to apologize and now he was coming.
   Thinking of him only made me realize that I had forgotten to buy him a present. They were all wrapped under the tree, except for Cam's dog, which I had to hide in the garage.
   I quickly went outside and got in the car and drove to Target. It was so packed I could barely find a parking space. I walked into the store ad it was a mess. People were getting last minute gifts or shopping for food to make in the evening. I didn't want to Grayson anything big so I just wanted to get him something small. I walked into the guy clothing department and saw a pink snapback. He usually wore snapbacks so I thought it would be perfect. I didn't want to get just the snapback, so I started to walk around.
   I was walking through the sporty section when I found the perfect gift. It was a black mini bike and I just knew he had to have it, I just knew he would enjoy it. I purchased it and went back home to wrap the gifts and start to help prepare food.
*****
 Ethan's Point Of View
     I woke up to the sight and feeling of someone jumping on me. Grayson. My eyes were just starting to focus when he screamed in my ear, "Merry Christmas Eve!" I pushed Grayson off of me.
   "I just woke up," I said.
  "I know but it's Christmas Eve!" Grayson said looking happier than a kid who had just gotten the present he really wanted.
   "Did Nate leave?" I asked.
   "Yeah, he said he had to go because his family was going over."
 Me and Grayson weren't going anywhere. The roads in New Jersey were closed due to snow, so we we're spending it alone.
  I realized that today was the day I had to go meet Jenni. I couldn't get an uber because Grayson might get suspicious. But Nate had a car and he wasn't going anywhere, so I called him when Grayson went to the kitchen to make breakfast.
   "Hey," Nate answered.
  "Hey, I just need to ask you a favor."
  "Sure what do you need?"
   "I need to borrow your car."
  "What? Why?" Nate asked confused. 
  "Because me and Grayson can't go see our families today so I want to take him somewhere so he doesn't think of Jenni again."
  "Okay fine, Just come pick it up."
  I got dressed in some black jeans matched with a black shirt that was covered by a white Nike jacket. Like usual, a white snapback.
  I began walking downstairs to eat breakfast. Grayson made pancakes in the shape of a Christmas tree. I ate with him but quickly finished because I needed to see Jenni.
   "Where are you doing?" Grayson asked as he saw me put on shoes.
  "Can't tell you," I said with a slight smile.
 "C'mon Ethan, It's  Christmas Eve, just tell me where you're going,"
  "Fine, I'm going with Nate to plan what was supposed to be your surprise Christmas party." I said lying.
  "If it was a surprise why did you tell me?" Grayson said now laughing.
"Because you made me! You can just act surprised." I said and faked a laugh so he wouldn't know I was lying.
   "I will don't worry," Grayson said laughing as I left out the door.
  I walked over to Nate's house and got his car. He told me to return  it whenever I had the chance. I nodded and wished him a Merry Christmas as I drove away.
   I wasn't really allowed to drive yet because I didn't have my license, but I did it anyway because I was a pretty good driver.
  I got to Jenni's house and a huge smile plastered across my face as I walked up the porch.
~~~~~