Just A Bit Stressed Out

TWO WEEKS LATER

TWO WEEKS LATER

★ ★ ★

It was nearing two o'clock in the afternoon. Greyson's house was relatively quiet, the only sound being that of the living room television. Greyson was upstairs getting ready to leave for his shift at the hospital, while Marlena sat on the couch with a pen in her hand and a pile of paperwork on her lap. Mason was in school, and Bucky and Wanda were somewhere roaming the city. The two had originally planned for her to join them on their little outing, but Marlena had denied their invitation, claiming she didn't exactly feel the best. It had been a lie, though it wasn't a complete lie.

Marlena was stressed to the max. Not only did it have to do with the lingering pain and anger from her mother's death, it had to do with the fact that she was the executor of her mother's estate. This meant that she was in charge of taking care of Mason, taking care of her mother's belongings, and, unfortunately, taking care of her mother's bills.

She had taken a special trip to her house just after Bucky and Wanda had left. Her original plans were to pack up the rest of her clothes, as well as Bucky's, Wanda's, and Mason's, but when she arrived she noticed that her mailbox was full of various bills that needed to be paid. The sight only made everything seem much realer, and despite the fact that Marlena wanted nothing more than to rip the bills up and throw them in the trash, she knew they needed to be paid, and she knew she needed to take the responsibility and pay them. She didn't want to disappoint her mom, regardless of whether or not she was around, nor did she want to disappoint Mason.

Marlena pushed her glasses back onto the bridge of her nose before letting out a sigh and running a hand through her tousled brown hair. She was aware paying bills and managing the money used to pay them was fairly difficult, but she wasn't aware of just how difficult it was. Until now, she only ever had to worry about paying for the food she and Mason ate while their mom worked, as well as clothes and shoes for Mason and herself when it became a necessity. Paying bills and living up to other adult responsibilities were definitely not her forte, but it seemed as if now they would have to be.

The sound of footsteps on the stairs caught Marlena's attention, and she looked up, her eyes meeting those of Greyson. She gave him a small smile before looking back down at the copious amount of paperwork in front of her. She had been working very diligently since she arrived back at the house. She'd hardly had a break since then and was more than thankful she was almost done.

"What are you doin' there, sweet pea?" Greyson asked as he made his way over to her.

She pursed her lips and shoved her most recently written check into its appropriate envelope. "Paying bills," she answered, sealing the envelope and throwing it onto the table in front of her.

Greyson eyed the pile of envelopes on his coffee table and let out a sigh. Paying bills was the last thing he wanted Marlena to be worrying about at the moment. He understood people her age needed to learn how to deal with the responsibilities that came with being an adult, but he preferred that she didn't stress over something so irrelevant when she had more important things going on. "You don't need to do that, y'know?"