Accepting Responsibility

ONE MONTH LATER

ONE MONTH LATER

★ ★ ★

The sun shone brightly in the New York sky. Compound workers scurried around the grounds, birds flew freely, and the vibrant green trees surrounding the facility grounds whipped gently through the spring wind. Marlena stood at the window in Wanda's room, wishing more than anything that she could be back home with her brother and Greyson. Given Bucky's absence and the incident that had taken place back in Lagos, Marlena had been a bit emotionally unstable, though she seemed to be doing a fairly excellent job in containing it.

Tony refused to take a risk, however. After learning about what had happened, he suggested Steve bring her back to the compound so she could be monitored. He knew Marlena had been working diligently on controlling her powers since he had allowed her to go back home Christmas of 2014, and the control she had far exceeded that of Wanda's, but Tony cared too much about Marlena to risk letting her harm someone she loved; she'd never forgive herself if she did, and considering the incident regarding Lagos and Bucky, he felt Marlena being around the team was safer than her being around civilians such as Greyson and her brother.

The sound of Wanda's television caught Marlena's attention, and she moved away from the window. She strolled over to where her cousin sat at the edge of her bed and sat down in front of her on the floor, her gaze falling upon the screen. She swallowed the growing lump in her throat as she watched footage from Lagos flash across the screen.

The incident had been weighing heavily on Marlena's mind, and Bucky leaving only made it worse. She and Wanda had never meant to cause such destruction—such devastation. All they wanted was to finally rid the world of Rumlow, and they did, but in doing so they also rid the world of several innocent civilians, all of whom would never get the chance to live the lives they deserved to live.

"Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month," the reporter spoke. "The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission when the attack occurred."

Marlena ran a hand over her face, unable to listen to the news report she was sure she had heard too many times within the last month. It was almost as if she were reliving that day over and over again without actually physically doing so. There was enough footage, however, to make her believe so.

"What legal authority do enhanced individuals such as Wanda Maximoff and Marlena Claire have to operate in Nigeria?" a voice continued after several moments.

The television switched off before anything else could be said, and Marlena looked over to find Steve standing in the doorway. He looked at Marlena with sad eyes, and she let out a breath before shifting her gaze to the carpet.

"It's our fault," Wanda spoke.

"That's not true," Steve tried to assure her.

"Turn the TV back on; they're being very specific," Wanda retorted, her voice slightly strained.