The One in Charge

Marlena, Mason, Wanda, and Bucky were all crowded together on the enormous couch in Greyson's living room. The Martian was playing on the flat screen TV hanging on the wall, though only two of the four were awake to watch it.

Wanda and Mason were fast asleep. Mason lay pressed against Marlena; she was snuggled into Bucky's side with her arms wrapped tightly around her little brother. Wanda was positioned on the opposite side of Bucky; her feet were in Bucky's lap, much to his despair, while the rest of her was extended toward the end of the couch. She was in a seemingly uncomfortable position, in Marlena's and Bucky's opinion, of course, but there seemed to be nothing that could wake her, so they decided to leave her be.

Marlena ran her hand through her brother's hair as he slept, her gaze on nothing else but him. She couldn't help but think about how grateful she was to have him. Thinking of losing him scared her to death; Mason was pretty much the only blood family member she had left apart from Wanda. If anything ever happened to him, she doubted she would be able to handle it. Hell, she was still trying to handle her mother's death and even so she was only just barely getting by because of it. It made her love for her little brother grow, however, not to mention her sadness.

Neither Bucky nor Wanda had told her about the incident that had taken place after Mason got out of school; even Mason himself refused to say anything to her. Mason didn't want his older sister to worry, and he definitely didn't want her to venture off on a search for the boys that had made fun of him and pushed him down as he believed she would. Bucky and Wanda respected his wishes enough not to tell her either, and it was because of that the two had been letting their minds drift anywhere else but to that particular instance. Mason had attempted to do so, but his efforts regarding the matter were quite futile.

It was only an hour after the three of them had returned back to the house that Marlena had uncovered the truth, though she refrained from speaking about it to anyone. All she did was make Mason his favorite meal for dinner and offer a movie marathon to make him feel better, both of which he had gladly accepted.

"I think I'm gonna let him stay home from school for a few days," Marlena spoke, attracting Bucky's attention.

He looked down at her, his brows furrowing in question. "Why?"

"Because I can't stand knowing that he gets ridiculed for not having parents," she answered, looking up at him. "You better be glad I wasn't there today, otherwise they'd be scrubbing the remnants of those three idiots off of the school's exterior."

Bucky let out a breath and shook his head. "How did you know? We tried so hard to keep it from you."

"I know, but Mason's mind isn't as developed as yours and Wanda's is. It's hard for his mind to remain focused on one thing at a time; it drifts whether he likes it or not," Marlena told him.

"You sure know a lot about the human mind."

"Well, I am a telepath."

"You're also a smartass," Bucky remarked. "But I agree. I wish I had done something today, but it probably wouldn't have ended well for them or me."

Marlena chuckled and looked back down at her brother. "I'm glad you didn't, especially in front of Mason. He adores you, and no offense, but I don't really want him thinking it's okay to go out here and destroy everyone he deems as a threat."

"You're so mean," Bucky chuckled, hugging her side. "But I really am loving this maternal side of yours; it makes being with you all the more amazing."

"Why is that, Sergeant?"

Bucky laid his head down on her shoulder, shifting his attention to the television. "Because it lets me know that you're going to be a fantastic mother to our children."