15. Luke

"Bro problem," Luke says as soon as I open the door. I nod before slipping into my ugg boots and following him towards his car.

We drive in silence as he grips the steering wheel tightly, his knuckles turning white. I don't question his actions, we do that as soon as a get to 'The Place'. I watch as Luke wipes away a few tears, clearly not wanting me to see his manliness fading away. His jaw clenches a few times when he parks the car and rests his head on the wheel. "C'mon," he says, his voice barely coming out as a whisper. I nod slowly before stepping out of the car and holding his hand.

"It's the anniversary of Sophie's death," he whispers, our feet dangling on the edge of the building. I furrow my brows before remembering the events of what happened to his little sister.

"Dude I'm so sorry," I say, pulling him into into hug. He pulls me into his lap and rests his head on my shoulder, the smell of Axe (In the UK we call it Lynx, like wtf? Why Axe?) invading my nostrils. He pulls away and stands up, clearly angry.

"I COULD'VE SAVED HER!" he shouts, his face turning red and a vein popping out of his forehead. I stand up and walk towards him.

"It's not your fault-"

"YES IT IS! I-IT'S ALL MY FAULT. IT SHOULD'VE BEEN ME!" he cried, tears streaming down his face.

"Luke-"

"Mom can't even look at me. She refuses to make any form of contact with me," he rants, grabbing me by the shoulders. "She's all lovey dovey with Justin, talking to him, hugging him, showing him love and affection and won't even spare a glance at me," he whispers falling to his knees. "My own mother hates me," he whispers, as I bend down to his level and hug him. I rock him as he repeats the words, 'she hates me,'.

***
"Get out," Justin spits as soon as we walk into the living where Justin and Luke's parents are sitting crying.

"Its not his fault," I say, coming into Luke's defense.

"Its not his fault? It's not his fault?," Justin starts, dumbfounded.

"Justin please," his mom starts.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU DO SOMETHING? YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING, YOU SHOULD'VE DONE SOMETHING!" Justin screams, pointing at Luke, "IT'S BECAUSE OF YOU SHE ISN'T HERE TODAY, IT'S BECAUSE OF YOU SHE COULDN'T CELEBRATE HER SIXTH BIRTHDAY, IT'S BECAUSE OF YOU SHE GOT SHOT!" he pants, dropping onto the couch. I glance at Luke who's now staring at his hands, the guilt clear on his face.

"Its not your fault son," his dad speaks up, before engulfing his son in a hug. For all the years known Mr Hunt he's never shown an ounce of affection to his sons. So seeing this was a big shock. I watch as Mrs Hunt stands up and hugs Luke too, resting her head on his chest.

"I'm sorry honey," she whispers, as I stare at Justin who was currently seething with anger.

"Seriously? He killed Sophi-,"

"Get your head out of your ass Justin, it's over. She's gone and there's nothing you can do about it. If Luke jumped to her defence, he wouldn't be here today. And you'd still be sitting in that every couch in tears. So shut up and strap on a pair," I spit, relief rushing over me as I'd managed to supress the rest of the anger I felt. Luke looks towards me and smiles before wrapping his arms around me and planting a kiss on my cheek.

"You're awesome buddy,"

Buddy? BUDDY?!

Okay, I know this is fake and all but this Bitch just friend zoned me. What?!

I plaster a smile onto my face before pushing him away. "I'll let you guys have your moment," I smile before turning around and leaving.

Luke's POV
I fall onto my bed, letting out a sigh of frustration. A million thoughts run through my head as I stare at the picture of Me and Sophie. It was a day before she died.

"Lukey I want ice cream!" Sophie screamed, grabbing onto my arm. The sun was beating down on us as we began the long trek home.

"Sophie I only have a dollar and all the shops here are expensive," I sighed, looking down at her.

"We can go to Patty's store,"

"You know 'The Ghosts' hang out there. You don't want anything happening to you,"

"Lukey pleeeeeeease," she pleaded, giving me the puppy dog eyes and the pout she knew would cause me to surrender.

"Fine," I sighed in defeat as I lifted her up and turned the other way round to walk towards Patty's store. "Looks like 'The Ghosts' are inside the shop. Stay out here and don't talk to anyone. I'll be a few seconds," I pushed the door open, giving Patty a small smile before grabbing Sophie's favourite vanilla flavoured ice cream.

BANG BANG.

The sounds of gunshots filled the air as Patty and I rushed out to help anyone in need of aid. "Sophie?" I whispered as soon as I saw her bloody lifeless body laying on the ground. A gunshot sound on her chest. "N-No.... No, Sophie no.... SOPHIE NO!" I screamed as I crouched down beside her, shaking her body. Her eyes opened and she looked at me, her lips parting.

"I'm sorry," she croacked before closing her eyes again, the blood spilling out of her chest.

"You have nothing to be sorry for Sophie, you did nothing wrong- HELP US! SOMEBODY HELP!" I was desperate. Sophie couldn't have been dead.

The police managed to catch the members of 'The Ghosts' who were involved with the shooting. My family ignored me even when I dropped to my knees, begging for forgiveness they barely even looked at me.

It was my fault. I wasn't there to protect my sister when I should've been. I will never forget that day.

The day I killed my sister.

***
I felt like you dudes and dudettes didn't really know Luke on a personal level and that he should at least have a back story.

Just to clarify. Luke didn't literally kill his sister. If that wasn't clear to some of you guys.

Shout out to makeandoffer for writing the best book I've ever read. It's called the End of Summer. Please read it, it was so good I can't even.

Please vote, comment and share

Kayla :)