Alternate Epilogue

It's been, 8 months I think? Who am I kidding, I know it's been 8 months, 23 days, 2 hours and 42 minutes. So it's currently Katie's last full month in America before she returns to England in August. Luke and I hadn't spoken much ever since he tried to win me back, but he's sent me a few texts. Nothing major, just things like:

Luke-
Hi, how are you.

And,

Luke-
______ is having a party tonight, just wanted to let you know.

Or,

Luke-
Do we have any homework due?

It was pretty neutral. Even though I missed him. A lot. I know, it's me who made that desicion to not be with him anymore, it's me who decided that we weren't good for each other. But we are. And because I don't have the lady balls to tell him that, we'll remain neutral. We'll carry on giving each other curt nods when we see each other. We'll carry on laughing awkwardly when a teacher mentions one of our past shenanigans.

Yeah. That's what we'll do.

"Nope. No it's not," Katie declares as she throws on a top. How she manages to make simple outfits look so gorgeous I'll never know. She rocks a grey hoodie crop top and black shorts, paired with grey sneakers and no make up, she wasn't even making an effort to look good, but still did. Whereas I was wearing a cream crop top and a black skater skirt, my contour looks average, according to Katie that is, and my hair is curled. But still, I look like a sewer rat.

"It's the safer option I guess. If we get back together, after a year we'll be broken up since he's going to USC and I'm going to UCLA,"

Katie looks down, "With those grades you're not," she clears her throat, "and even if you do get accepted, UCLA isn't that far from USC," I sit down on the bed beside her and sigh.

"Let's just get going to the fair already,"

"Bloody hell, someone's eager to see Luke," she chuckles.

***

Luke looks... good. Like, really good. He wore a white polo shirt, chinos and white vans. The smell of cologne invades my nostrils as he gives me that awkward side hug you give to people in the friendzone. God, I'm in the friendzone. I can't complain, it's not like I didn't put myself there, but it hurt. A lot.

"Libby?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm good, you?" I look up to see the turquoise orbs that were his eyes, gold flecks surrounding the pupil, I melt at the sight of him licking his lips and staring at me.

"Ah shit, I blinked, I lost the staring contest," Katie groans, snapping the both of us out of the trance we were in. "Let's go on that ride!" she runs off towards the ride as Luke and I chuckle and run after her.

We spent hours at the fair, buying junk food, toys and silly souvenirs from the salesmen in the funny outfits. The amount of cotton candy we had consumed was equivalent to the amount of guys Coral had slept with. So, a lot. We had also forgotten Katie's mom's warning about the amount of sugar she should eat before she went crazy, so Katie was now trying to convince the popcorn man to let her sit inside the popcorn machine with song and dance.

"You know it breaks my heart, you won't let me sit in the popcorn machine. Four minutes no change, now I'm singing Halsey in the very wrong key!" she sings, twerking as he stands there uncomfortably. "LET ME SIT IN IT!" she tackles the machine, sending it to the floor, copious amounts of popcorn spilling out of it. "Lol whoops,"

"Oh God, Katie!" I help Katie out of the mess and we come face to face with a guard. "We're really sor-"

"You'll need to come with us Miss," he beckons Katie towards him as she frowns.