Chapter 8.

Callie's POV

The get together at Cam's house was nice.  Well, all except Lexi's friend Emma.  She was literally glaring at me the whole time.  I never did anything to her either so I don't get why she was so rude to me.  I'll never understand why girls can be so petty.  One thing I have come to realize:

Don't rely on people for your happiness because they will always let you down.

Believe me, I have had a lot of that.  And because of that, I've always had trouble letting people in.  It's not that I don't want to let them in it's just knowing who to trust.  I guess you could say growing up I never did have the best of luck finding that close group of good friends.  When I went to college at KU though something changed and I instantly made more friends.  It was weird at first because I wasn't used to making friends so easily.  I mean I have a couple really good friends from here but that's it.

It was nice seeing the guys again.  It's hard getting together with Thomas and Mike because of school and they have their games that they have to go to.  But when I'm home, I always try to make it a point to see my friends.  Cam and Luke are really great guys and so nice.  It's hard not to like them.  It's really awesome having a grandpa who works for the Panthers because we get to know the players and become friends with them.  

I try not taking it for granted either.  

My grandpa is one of the neatest guys ever and someone I look up to.  We have a really close relationship.  He's always been there for me and gives me great advice.  I take it too because of everything that he has been through and being in the military.  We always watch military movies and shows together like the Band of Brothers and I have even read Dick Winters book.   

I can't wait to move back here to a place I always call home, North Carolina.  But like my mother always says: it's not the destination that makes it home its who your with.  Today my family and I are going to the beach and I get to finally surf.  Were even bringing our dog, Bentley, along.  The North Carolina beaches are my favorite, and I've been to a lot.  

My mom has already packed food and drinks in the ice cooler.  This is something we always do when the whole family is together.  The beach is my happy place.  It's where I go to think a lot if something is on my mind.  It just puts my mind at ease and I love it.  I could never get tired of it.  My dad just loaded our surf boards in our car and we left.  My mom has a van especially for when we go to the beach for our surf boards to fit on top.  Abigail , Wesley's fiancé, even decided to join us. 

For my outfit I decided to wear a white off the shoulder dress that I usually wear to the beach under my swim suit, my fedora hat, aviator sunglasses, and sandals.

•••

We made it to the beach and hopped out of the car once my dad parked in the parking spot.  I decided that I wanted to surf today since I haven't been able to in a while and I've missed it.  Dad had bought me my very own surf board one year for Christmas with the color being turquoise.  It's been one of my favorite presents that I've gotten because I always use it.  

We set our towels down and began applying sunscreen so that we don't get sunburnt.  With my fair skin my sunburns don't always turn into a tan.  I don't feel as self-conscious in a swim suit with my family, but it's still there.  And I don't think that will go away anytime soon.

Unfortunately, I'm not like most girls who are comfortable in their own skin.  I'd like to get that way some day.  But circumstances have made that impossible for right now.

I take off my dress, hat, and sunglasses.  My board is already waxed so I put the velcro strap around my ankle and head out with Ariel and Wesley to catch some waves.  I paddle out but not too far.  I notice a good wave coming so I paddle towards the direction.  Ariel notices too and end up having a competition of who can get to it first.  Unfortunately she does.  

After I wasn't able to get that wave Wes and I got a few good waves in.  I decided to head back to shore and eat some lunch because I'm starving.  I set my board on the empty area of white warm sand beside my towel and go to the ice cooler and get a water, PB&J sandwich, and some Cheetos.  I sit down in the lawn chair next to my mom and Abigail and start eating.  They're talking about the wedding that's happening in May.  

"Oh hey, since your here Callie do you want to go in for a fitting on the bridesmaid dresses?"  Abigail asks me.

"Yeah, that sounds good to me.  Do you know where your going on your honeymoon yet?"

"We haven't really figured it out yet.  We thought about Hawaii but it's not settled yet."

"That would be such a beautiful place to go on your honeymoon.  Hawaii is so amazing."

"You guys went to Honolulu right?"

"Yeah, that's the only place in Hawaii we have been."

For the next few minutes we continue talking about Wesley and Abigail's wedding.  I'm so excited for them!  I'm so glad that Wes found the one and what's even better is that everyone in our family loves her and she loves getting to spend time with us.  

__________________________

Sorry it's taken me a while to update!  I haven't been able to figure out what to write for this chapter.  I know there isn't any Luke in this chapter but hopefully you still enjoy it.

Also sorry it's not as long.  Some chapters will be longer than others.  

Don't be a silent reader! :)

>read, like, comment<