Chapter 37.

We were now back in North Carolina and I was still a little sore on my thigh with walking but I was getting a little better.  For the first week it felt like all I did was sleep.  My mom said that was normal though because any surgery with anesthesia makes someone tired.  Because of everything that had been going on, I didn't get to celebrate Luke's birthday with him and I felt really bad so I wanted to make it up to him tonight.  

We were just going to spend the night at his place where there would be no interruptions and we could enjoy the night.  Because it still hurt to walk, he also just wanted to take it easy for me, which was really sweet of him.  

Luke had returned back to football yesterday and I know he was a little tired from getting back into it.  

After I packed my overnight bag, I slowly walked downstairs and Ariel drove me to his house.  I still wasn't driving yet and it's been two weeks since we have been home.  I felt bad that everyone had to drive me somewhere and it felt weird not being able to drive on my own but it was nice knowing that they were all there for me and being patient.  

"Thanks for driving me," I tell Ariel as she pulls up to Luke's house.  

"No problem.  Have fun but not too much fun," she tells me as she winks at me and laughs.  

I roll my eyes playfully and get out of the car walking up to Luke's house.  Knocking on the door, a few seconds later it opens revealing my boyfriend who has his grey sweats hung low on his hips and a Panther's shirt that hugs his muscles.  

"Hey Callie," he tells me as he wraps his arms around my waist.

"Hey."

I press my lips to his in a short kiss.  

"Happy twenty-third birthday," I tell him.  

"Thank you."

He opened the door further for me and I walked in.  His house has become so familiar to me with how much I come over.  It's like a second home to me. 

Sitting down on the couch, I let out a content sigh.  I always feel content around Luke.  Like I can be myself.  Even though he's a big football star to everyone else, to me he will always be Luke.  The guy who is down-to-earth, loving, sweet, fun, caring Luke.  I look past the guy in the football uniform who was a linebacker.  I looked at him for what kind of person and I love the kind of person he is.  Inside and out.  He makes me a better person and loves me for me.  That's all I could ask or want for a relationship.  

A few seconds later I let out a squeal as I feel Luke's strong muscular arms wrap around me as he lifts me up and settling me on his lap.  He lets out a deep chuckle as he falls back on the couch laying so that I'm looking down at him.  

"Best birthday ever.  Just you and me," he tells me as he nuzzles his head in the crook of my neck making me giggle softly.  

"Your the best boyfriend ever," I tell honestly as I play with his short hair.

"Now your just being cheesy."

I shake my head as I cup his face to look at him.  

"I'm serious, Luke.  You've been there for me through it all.  You proved me wrong every time.  Without you, I probably never would have found Doctor Smith again.  Thank you," I tell him.

I press my lips to his as I feel them mold together.  The kiss starts to get heated and I shakily take off my shirt breaking the kiss as his removed.  I could feel our breathing becoming deeper and only our breaths mingled together as our chest rise and fall.  

"Wait, Callie.  Stop.  What are we doing?" He asked in disbelief.  

"It's your birthday.  I just thought you would want sex," I murmur as a blush creeps to my cheeks.  

I feel rejected that my own boyfriend doesn't want me in that way.  I suddenly feel ashamed and try to cover up my body with my arms.  Shielding it.  As soon as I do that though, Luke takes both of my hands in his but I still can't look at him.    

"Look at me," slowly I bring my head up and look at him.  "You think I just want the sex?  Hell no I don't.  I'm with you because your an amazing woman.  Inside and out.  There was a difference about you when I first met you.  You were unlike any girl that I've ever known and I wanted to see what it was.  From the very beginning I could tell that you were closed off.  You didn't let a lot of people truly in.  For a while it hurt to know that you didn't trust me enough that you couldn't tell me about your heart, but then as I really looked at what was happening and put aside my own feelings, I saw that people had done that to you before.  Then when I talked to your mom, my thoughts were confirmed.  Even though friends had turned against you before, but I promise you that I never will.  I'm not in this for the sex.  I'm in this for the woman that you are and I find her pretty amazing.  I never want you to feel pressured into doing anything you don't want to do.  Alright?"

By now tears were falling down my cheeks as he was wiping them.  I felt ridiculous for all of this.  

"The best things in life are worth waiting for," he tells me.  

"I love you," I tell him as I get lost in his blue eyes.  

"I love you."

He brings his lips to mine as my eyes flutter closed as our lips move against each other's in rhythm.  I part my lips from his and put my shirt back on and him his.  

"Before I forget, I have your present."

"You really didn't have to get me anything, Callie."

I hand him the box that was in my bag and take my seat as I sit with anticipation as he opens up the gift.  I really hope he likes it.  I had a hard time shopping for him but after Trent and Logan went shopping with me to help me find something for him, I finally found the perfect thing for him.  After he read my card, he opens up the box that contains his gift.  

His eyes light up as he pulls the matte black watch out of the box.  I talked with his family a few weeks ago, especially his mom.  I found out that he likes a particular brand of watches.  When Trent, Logan, and I went shopping to find them, I instantly bought this one.  

All of the jobs I've ever worked at, I would save half of what I earn.  I haven't bought anything for me in a while because I haven't needed or wanted anything.  I brought all of the money I had and still had some left over and bought it.  

"Callie, you got this for me?" He asks as he looks at me.  

"Yeah.  Do you like it?"

"I love it!  Thanks, Callie."

He wraps his arms around me as mine snake around his neck.  Our lips press together as one hand cups his cheeks.  

After a make out session, we had dinner and talked.  Later we watched a movie of his choice as I fell asleep in the arms of the guy I love.  

I don't know know where I would be if nothing became of that day I met him.  He's everything to me.  When I'm in his arms he makes me feel safe.  Like I can be myself.  I can be goofy or serious or going through a tough time and know that he will always be there for me.  

After being with Luke I finally understood what my mom and grandpa said that there will one day be a man who would accept me for me.  I just didn't know that day would be today.  Luke is home to me and I never want to leave.

__________________

Last chapter!  Next is the epilogue.  :)