Chapter 19.

Two months later...

I don't know why but something feels off.  I can't pin point what exactly it is, but all I know is that something is wrong.  I can't seem to concentrate in my classes and my grades are slipping because of it.  

I have one month until graduation and I need this degree but this thing is keeping me from it. 

I can't even seem to concentrate in class when our teachers are giving us lectures and when I really need to.  My heart beats fast, faster than normal and I pause at my homework until it slows down.  This keeps happening.  It's so frustrating because it will sometimes last for eight minutes.  It's been happening since February.  At my going away dinner was when I really felt it.  I didn't want to say anything to my mom at the time because I thought it would just go away.  But now it's happening every day and other things are happening too.  

Once it finally goes away I get out my phone and dial the one person who I know I can talk to about this.  After I dial the number I wait for the ringing to stop so that I can hear their voice.  

"Hello?"  They pick up after five rings.

"Mom?" I ask sniffling.  

"Callie, sweetie?  What's wrong?" She asks as she hears the shakiness in my voice.  

"I don't know what's happening but something doesn't feel right."

"Okay, I'll call the hospital at the military base to have your referral sent.  You need to go to KU Med Center as soon as you can okay?"

"Y-yeah."

"It's going to be okay, honey.  I love you."

"I love you too.  Bye, thank you."

***

Three days later.

I stand in front of the hospital building that I've become so use to since coming to school in Kansas.  Before I came here my mom made sure that there was a hospital here that was the best and had the best staff for it.  Thankfully there was.  I don't know what we would have done if there wasn't.  I open the big glass double doors to the entrance after having the valet park my car for me.  Luckily they only charge us a few dollars over here so its nothing too pricey.  

I head over to the department that I need and check in showing them my military ID as well.  I have no idea what to expect.  I just hope that something good will come out of this.  

"Callie Ryan?"  I hear my name voice being called after sitting for a while.  

I get up from my seat and grab my cross body purse and cell phone with me and head over to the nurse.  I've never had him before.  

"Ready?"  He asks me.

"Yeah."

I follow him through the familiar hallway that I've grown accustomed to.  I've only had to come here for check ups once every year so this is different because it's not a check up like I'm use to only having.  The nurse gets my height, weight, blood pressure, and temperature.  He also does an ultrasound on me.  After he's done he takes me into the room where my regular doctor will meet with me.  He gives me an award winning smile like he just won the oscar's instead of being in a hospital, then he leaves.  

The door opens up revealing my doctor, doctor Meyers and some lady with short hair up to her shoulders.  She looked older.

"Hey, Callie.  It's good to see you again."  My doctor greets me.  

"It's good to see you too, Dr. Meyers."

"This is my nurse, Cynthia.  She'll be in here with us if you don't mind?"  He asks.