Chapter 9.

It's now the day after the beach with my family.  I had such a great time with everyone.  It's one of the reasons why I can't wait to graduate so that I can move back here.  Yes, I love Kansas and I was so fortunate that they took a chance with me.  It's been a great ride.  I'm just so over school and ready to get a job in the real world.  Abigail had spent the night at our house since we got home pretty late.  I wake up around ten in the morning and head downstairs to eat some breakfast.  I see my mom in the kitchen making my favorite chocolate chip pancakes.  

My mom always makes them when everyone is here.  

I try to eat healthy on a regular basis for my health but having a cheat meal never hurt anyone, right?  I go up and hug my mom then sit down at the kitchen island.  I'm not a morning person and anyone who knows me knows not to be all happy around me in the morning.  Thankfully, no one in my family are wide awake in the morning, they're just quiet trying to wake up like me.  I add butter and then syrup to my pancakes, sitting in silence while I eat my breakfast.  

After breakfast I brushed my teeth, put my blonde hair in a braid, and decided to wear my white panthers shirt and grey sweats since I'm just going to be around the house today.  It's now the afternoon and I've been watching Top Gun with my brother Wesley and dad when my phone rings.  I go into the kitchen to block out the noise and so that I'm not interrupting the movie.  Without looking at whose calling me I answer the phone.

"Hello?"  I ask.

"Hey, it's Luke."

"Hey, Luke.  What's up?"

"Not much.  I was wondering if you were busy tonight?"

"Nope, not at all.  Why?  What did you have in mind?"

I sit down in the chair on the kitchen island and I see Logan come into the kitchen watching me intently.  This just got awkward.

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me?"

"A date?  I'd love to."

"Great.  I'll pick you up at seven tonight.  How does that sound?"

"Where are we going?"

"Does my place sound okay?  It will be really casual and there  won't be any interruptions."

"Um, yeah.  That sounds good."

"Okay great!  I'll see you then."

"I'll see you then."

I hang up the phone and see Logan narrowing his eyes at me.  He was listening to my conversation the whole time and if it wasn't awkward before it is even more now.  

"So your going out on a date with?"

"Luke."  When I say his name I can't help the tiny smile that forms on my lips.

"Luke as in Luke Kuechly on the Panthers team who came over for dinner with the other guys?"

"Yeah, him."

"I don't know if that's such a good idea, Callie."

Now my mouth is wide open.  Logan has never been this way with any guy that has ever asked me out.  Why now?  I've had a few guys who have asked me out but I would always turn them down.  Luke is the first guy that I actually like who asked me out.  He knows this too.  

"Why not?" 

"He's a professional athlete."

"Yeah?  Why does that matter.  He's also just a regular guy."

"Cal, usually professional athletes are only after one thing from girls."

Suddenly, I know exactly what Logan is talking about.  I know he's just being protective of me but I'm twenty-one.  Not everyone is like that.  I shake my head at him.