Chapter 24.

Callie's POV.

It's been a week since I told Luke about my health problem and that I'll need heart surgery again.  I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders and I have no idea why I was so nervous to begin with.  Maybe it was the fact that he's my first and only boyfriend and I didn't really tell a whole lot of people about my heart problem to begin with.  When people find out about my heart problem, they usually treat me differently.  And I didn't want that with Luke.  I don't want that with anyone.  I wish that people could see that.  That I want to be treated just like anyone else.  

When he traced my scar with his fingers, my heart swooned that he did that.  He didn't freak out like I thought he would.  He didn't leave me for his ex-girlfriend or any other girl like I thought he would.  He didn't get mad at me for keeping it a secret like I thought he would.  He handled it a lot better than I actually gave him credit for in the beginning.  

Now I'm thinking how could I have ever thought that he would leave me or treat me badly because of it?

It's a week later and Luke and I are sitting in the North Carolina airport right now waiting until our plane gets here so that we can visit with his family.  I'm nervous.  Quite a lot of people have recognized Luke and have come up to him asking for pictures or an autograph.  I love how he handles it.  He doesn't get mad or irritated with the fans, instead he welcomes it.  He never makes them feel uncomfortable or feel like they're interrupting him, which is something I've admired about with him since we first started dating.  

I lay my head on Luke's shoulder as I trace the lines on the palm of his hand.  Luke has his blue beats headphones around his neck, some nike sweats, a nike sweatshirt, and some running shoes.  

"Your great with them, you know?"  I murmur to Luke.  

He looks up at me with confusion, tilting his head to the side slightly as he looks at me.  

"Who?"  He asks me as he turns his attention to me.

"The fans.  I love how your so patient with them.  I love how you make each one of them feel important.  It's sweet that you do that for them," I tell him honestly as he gives me a small smile.  

"I love meeting the fans.  I feel like its the least I could do for all they do for us, you know?  I just wish that I could do something more."

I smile at him and put my small hand on the right side of his cheek.  A small smile tugged at his lips as he leaned forward and pressed his lips on mine as I close my eyes.  It was a sweet kiss.  One that could make my insides melt.  

As I pull away, Luke tucks a loose piece of my blonde hair behind my hair and rests his forehead against mine.  Just being this close to him calms me and I know that whatever happens during this visit will be okay in the end.  I just hope they like me.  

"I should probably tell you this now," he tells me almost seeming uncertain, "but I told my family about your health.  Just so that they wouldn't be alarmed in case anything happens.  I hope you don't mind."

"I don't mind.  Do they hate me because I waited so long to tell you?"  

But before he could answer we hear that our flight landed and that we can line up now.  I hear him sigh as we get up to collect our bags as he holds my smaller hand in his much larger hand.  And yet, somehow they fit.  

Were up in the air now and the flight attendant has just told us we can use all electronics.  As I start to collect my bag to pull out my laptop, I feel a hand on top of mine, and I know its Luke's.  I sit up straight and look at him.  

"In answer to your question that you asked me earlier, no they're not.  They were probably as surprised as I was.  I think they're probably a little curious as to why you kept it from me, but they don't hate you."

I cuddle closer into him as he wraps his strong arms around me.  

"I'm so sorry for not telling you earlier.  I know it was wrong of me.  Its just, normally when I tell someone about my health they'll treat me differently.  Like I'm breakable or something and I'm not.  I'm a lot stronger than they think.  I wish that I wouldn't have let my insecurities keep me from telling you."

"Hey, it's okay.  Honestly, I understand.  I may not know what you and your family have had to go through but its okay.  Just let me know if you feel anything while were at my home okay?  My two brothers, John and Henry, will be there also."

"John is the one whose in the military like Wesley and my dad right?"

"Yeah," he says with a closed mouth smile.  

"I just want them to like me," I tell him.  

Having his families approval means everything to me.  They seem like a really close family, like mine do.  

"If it ever gets too much to be in a house full boys you can always have some time to yourself," he reassures me.

"Trust me, Luke, I'm use to it.  Growing up with four brothers and growing up in the military lifestyle."

"Still, you can always have some time to yourself if you need it, alright?"

"Okay Luke," I tell him.  

I peck his cheek and rest my head on his chest and slowly feel my eyes start to flutter shut, forgetting all about watching a movie.  Only to fall asleep in the arms of the guy I love.  

...

As we landed in Cincinnati, Ohio the nerves started bubbling in my stomach and I feel the butterflies.  I've never done something like this before, ever.  After the plane landed, Luke and I collected our bags and headed off of the plane hand in hand.  He gives me one more kiss before we walk any further.  

After we have collected our luggage, I see a husband and wife with smile on their faces waving at Luke as we walk towards them.  

As we get closer, Luke lets go of my hand and pulls his mom into a hug as his father comes over to me

"You must be Callie?"  He asks.

"Yes, I am.  Your Mr. Kuechly?"  

"Please call me Tom," he tells me as I have my hand out for him to shake and he does.

"It's nice to meet you, Tom."  

"It's nice to meet you too," he tells me with a smile.

As Luke and his mother finish hugging she turns to me with a smile on her face.  

"Hi, I'm Eileen, Luke's mother.  It's so nice to finally meet you," she tells me.

"It's nice to meet you too," I tell her shyly.

I'm about to stick my hand out for her shake, but instead what shocks me is when she pulls me in for a warm welcoming hug.  

Just like that the bundle of nerves have dissipate and I'm met with calmness.