Chapter Three

Chapter Three

      We entered the cafeteria, my eyes quickly taking in everything. There were large, circular tables placed everywhere with chairs placed at them. It was the normal scene; I could easily tell where the “popular” kids sat, and where everybody else did. Nothing out of the ordinary—just like any other high school.

      “Do we really have to do this?” Aiden asked with a sigh.

      “No, the question is do you really have to do this, and the answer to that is no. I’ll go by myself, I don’t care,” I said, beginning to walk away from the “sweetheart” who was showing me around.

      “There is no way that I’m letting you out of my sight!” he said, catching up to me.

      “And why not?” I demanded.

      “Because I’m supposed to spend the day with you, duh,” he rolled his eyes as if his reasoning was the most obvious thing in the world.

      “Look, I’m going over to the corner table to sit with Izzy; you can either join me or not,” I proposed bluntly, as I spotted the girl I was looked for. She was sitting at a table alone, munching on a sandwich as she glanced down at something (probably some homework or whatever). She wore her hair in the low ponytail I remembered, and possessed a neutral face—neither happy nor any other specific emotion. I began my journey over to her with a step.

      “Oh, I’m definitely coming with you,” Aiden said, following me as I went on my way. In a matter of seconds, I came to the table at which she was situated, and sat right down across from the girl I presumed to be Issabelle, at what appeared to be her table. Aiden was right beside me. At the sudden presence of others, she looked up, giving both of us a rather confused look, and continued eating her lunch. Yeah, it was Izzy.

      “Hi,” I said, offering up a smile that may have been percieved as slightly “too enthusiastic.”

      “Umm… hi,” she said, the perplexity still about her face.

      “Do you remember me?” I questioned, lowering the grin down twelve notches to not scare her.

      “Um… no, should I?” she gulped uncomfortably.

      “Well, considering I’ve changed quite a bit, no,” I laughed, recieving another apprehensive grimace from the girl before me. “Let me reintroduce myself: I’m Jules, Jules Tylers.”

      “So, how do I know you?” she took another bite out of her nutrients—some kind of thinly-sliced meat placed between two pieces of bread.

      “Well, you don’t. You did, however, know the old me, who went by the name of Julia Tylers,” I said, aware of how much weight was applied when mentioning my name. It was awful, really.

      “Wait—you’re telling me that you’re JULIA TYLERS?” she questioned skeptically, her eyes growing wide.

      “The one and only,” I confirmed with what I hoped to be a friendly smile.

      “Why are you talking to me?” she mumbled.

      “Do you remember the type of person I was two year ago?” I grimaced regretfully at even the thought of it.

      “Umm, yeah. You were friends with Emily and Taylor,” she nodded slowly.

      “That I was. Man, was I stupid!” I shook my head at my own, blind stupidity.

      “Why aren’t you over there talking to them?” she asked, pointing a finger over to where I assumed they were seated. With a swift turn of the head, I saw where she had gestured to, and, sure enough, there they were. Slut and sluttier. Emily and Taylor. My former best friends.