Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

      “Thank you!” I yelled, as my mom drove off from the park I had asked her to drop us off at. It was in the same area as the skate park, and I figured she’d feel better about us spending time at some cute park intended for little kids, rather than a sketchy skate park covered in concrete and graffiti.

      “Wouldn’t your mom notice me bringing my board?” Josh asked, as we held hands and walked through the moistened grass.

      “Yeah, but you bring it everywhere, so it’s no big deal,” I said.

      “Right. So is this place…” he trailed off, his eyes wandering about.

      “Not as nice as the one in Santa Monica, but it’s still a skate park. The crazy thing is two years ago I didn’t even know this place existed!” I exclaimed.

      “You didn’t know how to skate two years ago,” Josh oh-so brightly pointed out.

      “Darn right, I didn’t!” I laughed. “Oh, I should probably thank you for teaching me how to skate, while were on the topic.”

      “You’re right, you probably should,” he smirked.

      “Okay then, thank you so very much for teaching me how to skate!” I laughed.

      “You’re so very welcome,” he flicked my shoulder playfully.

      “Hey!” Logan greeted, approaching us right before we crossed over to the dark side of the park. It was just like the first time I had been. Hard concrete, the sketichiest vibe imaginable, and lots and lots of skateboards. It made me feel rebellious, in a way. 

      “Hi!” I returned with a smile.

      “Logan, right?” Josh questioned, draping a protective arm around me.

      “Yeah. And you’re… Josh?” Logan asked.

      “That’th be me,” Josh replied. I physically had to restrain myself from not pinching his cheeks at his absolute cuteness and dorkiness.

      “Jules told me that you taught her to skate?” Logan said lightly.

      Josh nodded. “Yeah.”

      “So, you must be pretty good.”

      “Nah…” Josh shook his head modestly.

      “Josh, shut up! He can skate. He’s good at it. Like, really good,” I said, punching my boyfriend’s shoulder.

      “Wanna show me?” Logan offered.

      “Sure...” Josh said, running ahead with Logan to the rough jungle gym of ramps and rusted metal. Oh! So that must have been what getting a typhus shot was for! So that in a place like this, if one accidentally cut oneself on the rusty metal, death wouldn’t be a consequence! Mind has been officially blown.

      “Jules, right? You’re the chick that did some sick-ass skating the other day?” a boy asked, flipping his long, blonde hair out of his eyes. I was almost positive that his name was Cody.

      “Well, that could’ve been me, but you never know,” I said, deciding to be difficult. I loved messing with people. It was so much fun, and kept me entertained.

      “Mhmm. I see you’re here with Logan again,” he winked knowingly.

      “And Josh,” I added, not liking the inference I had a hunch he was making.